PDA

View Full Version : Mernames

MadisonTheMer93
01-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Ok so I'm about to start my official Facebook page. But I have no idea what my name should be. I mean, Madison would be super easy, but do mers use their human names? Suggestions and comments would be much appreciated!!

-The curious new mermaid

Mermaid Kelda
01-10-2015, 03:07 PM
You might find this thread helpful: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4215-Mermaid-name-and-or-Screen-names
There are a tonne of threads about how people chose their names, if you use the search function :)

MerShellly
01-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Some people create a mer-persona while others just use their own name. It all depends on you. :) It may take some thinking to come up with one. I'd love to help you but I'm worse than useless with names. :(

MadisonTheMer93
01-10-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm just so indecisive!

-The curious new mermaid

Mermaid Lunette
01-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Some easy ways to help is that you think of simple things you like and see if there is a name that can connect it.

My friend's favorite flower is a Lotus so she named herself mermaid lotus (known as lotus_blooming on here.) I like the moon and "lunette" means "little moon" so stuff like that can help ^_^ sometimes just going to a name serach and lok at names through their meanings help.

Personally I would suggest having a mersona because it helps to differentiate and easier to keep merverts away from your personal facebook and such, but that is just my suggestion.

MadisonTheMer93
01-10-2015, 06:29 PM
That's a really good point.

-The curious new mermaid

Mermaid Kelda
01-10-2015, 06:42 PM
There're the "easy" choices, actual names that are ocean related - Coral, Marina, Pearl, Aqua, Sandy, Shelly, River, etc - of course, because these ones are so simple there are already mers who have used them. There are less-common ones that still sound watery, like Brine and Waverly and Finley, but again some of these might be taken. Not that two mers can't have the same name, but it does get a little confusing on the MerNet.

Then there are "pretty" names that are still common words but aren't specifically mermaidy - things like Echo, Star, Luna, Petal, Blossom, Harmony, Misty - or combinations of two words, like "Moonsong" or "Riverstar" etc.

There're huge lists of ancient deities and such to do with the water that you can browse on wikipedia and similar sites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nereid#Names
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naiad#Names
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_water_deities

Or you can make your own name - you could do some research into plants/animals you like, find their latin names, play around with them, mix letters up until you arrive at something you're drawn to.

It took me a long time to figure out what name I wanted! Don't give up until you've found the perfect one ;)

Nyx
01-10-2015, 07:11 PM
^ That's how I chose my mername! Nyx is a variant of nix, which is a river nymph/mermaid (or even a horse, depending on the area the myth comes from).
Another helpful website is http://www.behindthename.com
you can research names by location, time period, mythology, meaning, or what it sounds similar to. It also gives you the history of the name!

siren_selene
05-01-2015, 01:18 AM
I picked Siren Selene because my Mersister legally changed her name to Luna and I wanted us to match so I looked for a name that meant Moon and Selene was my favorite. And I am a little darker and more "goth" as my mersister likes to say so I am going with siren instead of mermaid

Moon_Lightning
12-13-2015, 11:12 PM
I chose Lunaria. It's keeping to the moon theme that my screen name is based off. That one is the one I use for Deviant art moon-lightning and I've been Moon Lightning for years. She was a unicorn persona I roleplayed for years. She is also one of the main characters in a comic I'm writing so I've had her for about 19 years now. Kind of special to me. She is also the mascot of my art buisness Moon Lightning Designs. However I wasn't going to use that name as my mermaid persona so thus it was changed to Lunaria. Keeping it separate.

Spindrift
12-13-2015, 11:20 PM
I actually keep going back and forth on mine because people don't know how to pronounce it (and I dunno why...). My real name starts with an A so i would stick to something like that if Enakai really doesn't work out. :(

Moon_Lightning
12-13-2015, 11:27 PM
Enakai sounds really pretty. :) I love it.

Spindrift
12-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Enakai sounds really pretty. :) I love it.

Thank you! :3

Aysun_the_Mermaid
12-14-2015, 01:46 AM
I actually keep going back and forth on mine because people don't know how to pronounce it (and I dunno why...). My real name starts with an A so i would stick to something like that if Enakai really doesn't work out. :(
Ee-nah-kai?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Spindrift
12-14-2015, 03:37 AM
Ehn-na-kai :D That's the closest I've gotten for someone who read it cold!

Also I was at dinner tonight when suddenly it dawned on me why I felt "Enakai Fairyfish" flows.

Anakin Skywalker.
:x

Spindrift
12-14-2015, 03:39 AM
Also to respond to the original post, I do like Madison - it is the name of the mermaid from Splash and it's very pretty. I definitely wanted something different for my privacy. Did you have any nicknames growing up?