Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pagan/Witchcraft practicing Merfolk? Anyone?

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook

Question Pagan/Witchcraft practicing Merfolk? Anyone?

Well hello fellow merfolk! I have done a wide search for the last few hours and came up with...almost nothing! A few posts here and there on other threads but that's about it really...

So there's a Christian Mer thread, and an atheist one as far as I know...and so I'm reaching a fin out to those of similar beliefs to mine! Anyone really who identifies under the labels 'Pagan' or even 'Witch'! or even just those of you who like studying or learning of such things! And so yes...it's a WIDE and broad reach out! As it should be.

So come on in, chat and tell us about your beliefs if you wish! And where they spawn from! And pleeeeeease don't come in her under the intention to tell us how sinful we are, or how ridiculous we are for believing in what we do...as the biggest annoyance on the Atheist Mer thread was literally a person stating why Atheists were wrong...or people going on there saying how atheists believe 'nothing'...just don't, it's literally ridiculous and pointless...save your fingers and go onto a topic you can contribute to and be a little brighter of mood in, no one likes a know it all or an arrogant prat. Thaaanks.

So happy posting and I hope I can connect with few like minded Merfolk!
    The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Angleseymer...homepage_panel

Formerly known as Merman Vaughan...now I'm a mermaid heh.

Here! Although, just as a fair warning, I am not completely Wiccan. I have taken certain ideas from other religions and mixed them into my own way of thinking, although one of my main influences is Wicca. Sadly, my practices have died down a bit in the past few years as a result of stress and mental health, but I'm starting to get better. It is definitely a hard religion to hold, people at school would call me a demon or witch if I ever wore my pentagram (so glad I'm done with high school).

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Sortof loosely yes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I identified as Wiccan in school as I was exploring my spirituality. Now I don't identify as any religion but more as a Starseed spirituality though I still loosely celebrate the Sabbaths.
    "If you can't find magic in the world, then you have to create your own." -Mermaid Meara
    Link is to a video of my tail. http://youtu.be/WEb8_bovb9g
    "I will not film you drown in that thing!" - little bro when I asked him to film me in my tail

I don't identify as Wiccan in any shape or form I have very urm...biased opinions on using the term 'Wiccan' and whether usage is correct or not being a snobby Brit from the land of the religions creation! Haha

I'm a bit of a weird witch in all honesty...I don't believe in most spiritual practices such as Psychics, crystal healing (or using crystals in general for a big reason, and I won't get into that now as I don't have much strength for an essay at this time of night!) reiki etc...though I'm completely respectful of those who do believe in such things!

I mostly fit into the 'British Traditional Witchcraft' category as I tend to stay towards the traditional forms of practice recorded through British history of Witches, Wise women etc. I also have a strong Celtic rooting in my path as I live in Wales, on the Isle of Anglesey (The druids Island)

Great to see some replies!
    The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:

Pagan/Witchcraft practicing Merfolk? Anyone?

I'm a casual modern witch and a devotee of Ishtar. I have a working relationship with Njord, and some fae stuff twisted in there. It's fuzzy and inconsistent but I'm happy with it.
    I also do oracle card readings and stuff.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Energy vampire who occasionally "almost sees" fairies, feels spirits, and is absolutely recharged by sand, sea, and soil, here.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Energy vampire who occasionally "almost sees" fairies, feels spirits, and is absolutely recharged by sand, sea, and soil, here.
    Ah I can see that. Look at all the reasonable pagany witchy peeps *highfives everyone*

I'm an eclectic solitary witch and a practicing Druid. Im clairsentient and do energy/ theta healing.

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

I consider myself catholic, but my approach to catholicism is a variation of "polymorphous monotheism," where all gods and the like are aspects or actions or appearances of the same God. I pray and meditate, avoid ill-wishing people, and try to look for guidance and signs in nature, people, and other events.

I also have a number of books on Witchcraft and Shamanism, and I collect different tarot card sets, as well as psychic and fairy related books, and I never miss the opportunity to explore or read or learn about different civilizations' mythology. I've been considering practicing witchcraft and rituals, but haven't quite found myself in the point where I go for it yet.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    There is no label that fits me, but I've studied mythologies and religions and came to the conclusion all of them, especially pagan ones, are attempts to understand the incomprehensible, and explain the unexplainable.

Old pagan cults (includes shamanism, original wicca, fairy lore, and whatever was around there in different parts of the world) have concepts that are now beginning to be explored by science (string theory, multiverse, alternate and higher dimensions).

I ascribe to some of the concepts of paganism, but not all of them.
    I think it's a given that nature interconnects us all, and the planet is alive.
    So if humans go on harming and ultimately killing it, we all will die. (duh)

I also honor the sabbaths (equinoxes, solstices, and other special times), the only spells I'm confident casting happen in MMOs, though xD

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Echidna, I think like you do about this. I have a belief in a common energy shared by everything.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    I'm not a witch but I love reading about paganism and wicca. Vaughan, do you have any examples of or links to websites about the traditional practices you mentioned? I'm curious!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    There is no label that fits me, but I've studied mythologies and religions and came to the conclusion all of them, especially pagan ones, are attempts to understand the incomprehensible, and explain the unexplainable.

Old pagan cults (includes shamanism, original wicca, fairy lore, and whatever was around there in different parts of the world) have concepts that are now beginning to be explored by science (string theory, multiverse, alternate and higher dimensions).

I ascribe to some of the concepts of paganism, but not all of them.
    I think it's a given that nature interconnects us all, and the planet is alive.
    So if humans go on harming and ultimately killing it, we all will die. (duh)

I also honor the sabbaths (equinoxes, solstices, and other special times), the only spells I'm confident casting happen in MMOs, though xD
    The only spell I can cast with any success is the one where my wallet gets lighter.

LOL Pearliemae!

I am a witch by blood. My great grandmother was a practicing witch. People from her village and around the village came to her for herbs, creams, tinctures etc.
    Unfortunatly she wrote none of it down (she was very very poor, not even sure if she could read or write).
    She tried to teach my mother her knowledge but my grandmother (so her daughter) did not allow it.
    For years i wondered why i was so interested in helping others, healing them the natural way until some years ago ( i think 8 years ago maybe?) my mom told me about my great grandmother.
    She even had a round garden...a circle of specfic flowers on the outside and the herbs on the inside (the way witches have their garden)
    I have studied natural medicine years ago but the study was mostly about making some sort of a tea and not really in depth how i would have liked to study.
    I have also studied Reiki and have Reiki 2 as they call it.
    I would not consider myself a wiccan though.
    Some great news is that my mom remembers just a few treatments from my greatgrandmother and all of them work amazingly well.
    My mom told me today actually that she found a recipe online for a natural penniciline that she is going to make. It will take 2 weeks before it is ready but i can't wait to try it!
    For a few years i had a massage practice which i loved to do but when the financial crisis really hit here, the clients (even the regulars) stopped coming.
    I had to make a decision then, keep the room empty for massages and hope the clients would come back eventually or use the room for our business with Fairy Me.
    I just the last option which was the right choice.
    When we move out of this house i may start my practice up again but i don't know yet.
    Anyway...got of track there lol, i am like Echidna....no label fits me. I believe in many things.
    I also have a sixth sense, or whatever you want to call it, but i choose not to "turn it on" so to speak because it scares the crap out of me at times lol
    I would love to get back into natural medicine one day and find a study that really covers it all, even if it takes years.
    Each time i see an antique bookstore i cant help myself and go inside...hoping to find a really really old book from a witch with all her recipes in there...so far no luck.

@Mermaid Wesley - Oooh very interesting! I myself work very closely with Fae within my practice fuzzy and inconsistent can sometimes be the best way to go about things hehe

@Merman Dan - ah cool! I myself incorporate a lot of my 'Mer' personality into my practice and cleansing by saltwater, and re-energising by taking dips into the sea is one thing that really keeps me alive and kicking lately!

@Echidna - your posts always fascinate me and peak my interests on here! and yep, I remember reading a good book not too long ago which discussed the recent scientific developments and 'discoveries' which are basically just proven methods of older practices by Pagans and the old wise women of villages and towns, the 'magic' these people had coming to life once more in the light of modern day science it's really amazing! The quote I loved and will always remember from that book though was "Many concepts now only just being touched upon by science, were beliefs and practices long before. Some may even say that in certain ways Witchcraft is not catching up to science, but rather modern day science is catching up to Witchcraft!"

@Mermaid Kelda - Do you mean British Traditional craft? Or my own path, the celtic-druid-trad mix?? I'd be happy to fish out some info for you when I have a bit more time over the weekend!!

Oh Pearlie...how would this forum function without you and your comments hehehe.

@Adalira - Oooh now that's a tale to tell! hehe I myself come from a similar situation, one side of my family are devoted Christians whereas the other side are far from it! My late grandmother was also a practicing 'Witch' so to speak and dealt in the areas of divination (she read tea leaves and worked with a crystal ball), and spell work for those in need, whilst also doing the things most village 'witches' probably would have during their time...she was a midwife, and often helped the elderly in the area even when she was getting old herself! She also had a brilliant knack for knowing everyone's business yet next to no one knew much about her at all!
    When I was younger she did teach me about nature, it's importance, how to collect and dry herbs properly, and even how to keep a journal of my thoughts, feelings and ideas! She taught me to respect all life, as not a single thing in this world has a higher importance or higher being than us, nor does anything have a lower importance...everything is equal and everything happens for a reason. I was passed down a few bits and pieces from her when she eventually died and they're my treasured posessions even if they are tattered and old by now!

Once she died though, I did not get into witchcraft as being a child I didn't know that's what she did! It was in my late 13-14 yr old self I started my path. Following in her footsteps but all the while being an individual of my own ideas and knowledge.

Thanks everyone! Such wonderful replies!
    The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kelda View Post
    I'm not a witch but I love reading about paganism and wicca. Vaughan, do you have any examples of or links to websites about the traditional practices you mentioned? I'm curious!
    I got bored and over excited over writing out my reply so I looked into some traditional witchcraft resources for you! if you have any questions feel free to ask.

'Traditional Witchcraft' is usually pre-Gardnerian (Pre-wicca) based beliefs as Wicca is a very new 'religion' whereas the craft has been practiced throughout many cultures and traditions worldwide! Trad Craft focuses more on folk tales, and local 'wives tales' if you know what I mean by that? So rather than going for a modern belief system such as Wicca, where all the rules and guidelines are set out for you...BTWitchcraft is more focused on looking into your own country or lands customs, traditions, lore and legends in order to create your own craft.

Here's a list of some books I can recommend! I'm sorry I don't do websites much when it comes to Witchcraft as there's so much SharkShit out there! But if you'd prefer websites to books I'd be happy to look into some!

(This list is Copy+Pasted from a closed Traditional witchcraft Facebook page I am part of)

Books on general Traditional Witchcraft

"A Deed Without a Name: Unearthing the Legacy of Traditional Witchcraft" by Lee Morgan ISBN 1780995490
    Cochrane Witchcraft (The Clan of Tubal Cain, Regency etc)
    Perhaps the most well-known branch of traditional Witchcraft is the work derived from Robert Cochrane of the Clan of Tubal Cain.

Roebuck in the Thicket by Evan John Jones ISBN: 186163 1553
    The Robert Cochrane Letters by Robert Cochrane (Roy Bowers) ISBN: 186163 2215
    Sacred mask, Sacred Dance by Evan John Jones & Chas Clifton ISBN: 978-1567183733
    Witchcraft: A Tradition Renewed by Evan John Jones & Doreen Valiente ISBN: 978-0919345614
    The Star Crossed Serpent: Volume I by Shani Oates and Evan John Jones ISBN: 978-1906958374
    The Star Crossed Serpent: Volume 2 by Shani Oates ISBN: 978-1906958381
    The Arcane Veil by Shani Oates ISBN: 978-1906958350
    The People of Goda by Shani Oates ISBN: 978-1477481004
    Tubelos Green Fire by Shani Oates ISBN: 978-1906958077
    Light From The Shadows by Gwen (Michael Howard) ISBN: 978-1861630612
    This last book is about the Regency, a Cochrane derived coven that has an impressive legacy in its own right.
    Genuine Witchcraft is Explained by Shani Oates et al. ISBN: 978-1861633347
    The Rollright Ritual by W.G. Gray ISBN 900448 210, Robert Cochrane was involved in this ritual.

George Pickingill & Witchcraft
    In the 1960’s a figure named Taliesin (aka W.E. Liddell) published a series of letters in Pentagram, the newsletter of the Witchcraft Research Association decrying Wicca and speaking of an older traditional witchcraft relating to cunning man George Pickingill. This is a collection of his account of this traditional witchcraft.
    The Pickingill Craft by W.E. Liddell (Capall Bann) ISBN: 1898307 10 5

Traditional Witchcraft: Folk traditions
    A lot of traditional witchcraft is rooted in folk magic and regional folk customs, in cultural expressions including Christian festival markings, and in research and inspiration from the past. From cunning folk to peller there is a rich tradition of pre-Gardnerian Witchrafts (operative) in the folk practices of various regions. These are important sources in synthesising a modern and breathing tradition. Of particular interest is Michael Howards Children of Cain which offers an overview of the history and development of the spectrum of traditional witchcraft.
    Cunningfolk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby
    Craft of the Untamed: An Inspired Vision of Traditional Witchcraft by Nicholaj de Mattos Frisvold ISBN: 978-1906958398
    Operative Witchcraft by Nigel Pennick ISBN: 978-1907614101
    A Grimoire for Modern Cunningfolk by Peter Paddon ISBN: 978-0984330218
    Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath by Carlo Ginzburg ISBN: 978-0226296937
    Popular Magic: Cunning-folk in English History by Owen Davies ISBN: 978-1847250360
    Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways by Gemma Gary ISBN: 978-0956104342
    The Black Toad by Gemma Gary ISBN: 978-0956104380
    Hedge-Rider: Witches and the Underworld by Eric De Vries ISBN: 978-0979616877
    The Cornish Traditional Year by Simon Reed ISBN: 978-0956104328
    Devon Witchcraft and Folk Ways by Sarah Hewett ISBN unknown
    In Field And Fen by Nigel Pennick ISBN: 978-1907614064
    Children Of Cain: A Study Of Modern Traditional Witches by Michael Howard*
    West Country Witches by Michael Howard*
    Welsh Witches and Wizards by Michael Howard*
    Scottish Witches and Warlocks by Michael Howard*

Nigel Jackson
    Though Nigel Jackson draws from several sources, he is a primary source within his own work which is both drawing from common traditions yet also presenting important innovations..
    The Call of the Horned Piper by Nigel Jackson ISBN: 978-1898307099
    Masks Of Misrule by Nigel Jackson ISBN: 978-1898307679
    Pillars of Tubal Cain by Nigel Jackson & Michael Howard ISBN: 978-1861630292

Cultus Sabbati & Sabbatic Witchcraft
    In trying to define what sabbatic witchcraft is, I struggled to define it. On one hand it is traditional witchcraft built around the stories of the witches sabbat in medieval accounts, but on the other hand it refers to a body of work deriving from the Cultus Sabbati. A more thorough explanation is given by Sarah Lawless here. The Cutlus Sabbati started a publishing press in the 90’s, Xoanon, and released high quality limited edition grimoires, and they truly are grimoires in a way few other modern books are. Later a sister publishing company was started called Three Hands Press which publishes both limited editions and trade editions opening the work of Cultus Sabbati to a much wider audience.
    Opuscula Magica vol 1: Essays on Witchcraft & the Sabbatic Tradition by Andrew Chumbley*
    Opuscula Magica vol 2: Essays on Witchcraft and Crooked Path Sorcery by Andrew Chumbley*
    The Leaper Between by Andrew Chumbley*
    Venecficium: Witchcraft, Magic and The Poisons Path by Daniel A. Schulke*
    Azoetia: A Grimoire of the Sabbatic Craft by Andrew Chumbley†
    Qutub by Andrew Chumbley†
    One: The Grimoire of the Golden Toad by Andrew Chumbley†
    Ars Philtron by Daniel A Schulke†
    Viridarium Umbris by Daniel A Schulke †

Ophidian Traditional Witchcraft
    A school of Witchcraft originally expounded by Bob Clay-Egerton. Also described in Michael Howards Children Of Cain.
    Water Witches by Tony Steele (Capall Bann) ISBN: 186163 0492
    Rites & Rituals of Traditional Witchcraft by Tony Steele (Capall Bann) ISBN: 186163 1405
    Coven of the Scales by Melusine Draco (Ignotus Press) ISBN: 1903768047
    The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:

@ Mermaid Vaughan....wow that was so great to read. You actually got to be with your grandmother for a while and have her teach you! How amazing!
    And it must be so great to still have things from her that she passed down to you! Wow!
    My greatgrandmother was also a midwife! If that is the word for someone who helps deliver babies that is lol.
    Your grandmother must have been an amazing woman!
    Thank you for sharing that with us.
    It gave me a big smile when i read it

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Most healers were called witches...wicce is the old word (Celtic, maybe?) that means 'wise'. When the spread of certain religions swept through Europe, matriarchal societies were driven out by the patriarchal system of political power...property was passed down through the female side of families and when that started to change and invasive beliefs were being touted, all you had to do was accuse your wife of witchcraft or Satanism, and she would be hauled off and you inherited her land. Remember, political power was with the churches, not kings or politicians, and the spread of the Roman empire was an incredible upheaval. A lot of religions were dismantled, appropriated, or assimilated.

Technically, my great grandmother was a strega, and could prevent or remove the Maloik (pronounced Mah-luhk or Malook, spelled variantly Malocchio). It is taken very seriously by my family.

I also really like the following two books, which both gave me interesting ideas, even if you're not a gay man.
    Gay Witchcraft: Empowering the Tribe by Christopher Penczak
    The Path of the Green Man: Gay Men, Wicca, and Living a Magical Life by Michael Thomas Ford