Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Pagan/Witchcraft practicing Merfolk? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    True, they aren't a religion per se since they are based on Freemasonry, but Gardner built a religion out of his experience with them. There is a lot of overlap between traditional ceremonial magick and what Gardner eventually came up, particularly in regards to initiation rites.
    Probably where the idea of our modern interpretation of casting the circle came from, the mix of ceremonial/ folk magick, so could calling the quarters, I could be wrong but just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South MerFantasy's Avatar
    Add MerFantasy on Facebook
    Most of what Wicca is today, from what I understand, are what a local coven told Gardner and he came public with his findings.
    I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.

Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post
    I agree, and Gardner was the one to bring Wicca, an ancient nature religion, back into the public eye.
    If I may ask, how do you define "Wicca" such that you consider it an ancient nature religion?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post
    Probably where the idea of our modern interpretation of casting the circle came from, the mix of ceremonial/ folk magick, so could calling the quarters, I could be wrong but just a thought.
    That's all derived from ceremonial magick: very formal and ritualistic. Freemasons do much the same thing, for what it's worth.

Folk magick is taking a couple of pins and a bit of cloth (or something along those lines), and making the best of it. It's nothing formal.

Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post
    Most of what Wicca is today, from what I understand, are what a local coven told Gardner and he came public with his findings.
    Whatever the New Forest coven may have told Gardner, the coven was, if I recall correctly, later shown by researchers (Hutton et al) to have been founded shortly before contact with Gardner. It's difficult to claim "ancient unbroken line" with such a timeline.

In addition, Gardner was IMO sufficiently well-read to created a religion by playing mix and match with whatever elements appealed to him. He himself was familiar with Murray's now-discredited The Witch-Cult in Western Europe to the point that she wrote the preface to Witchcraft Today. He was initiated into the Rosicrucians and the OTO. He had ample folkloric references at hand to fill in the gaps if necessary.

It doesn't invalidate the resulting religion if he made it up any more than, say, the Church of All Worlds being invalid because it's based on a sci-fi book. It's not like there aren't plenty of what might be termed "reconstructed religions" around nowadays. The Diaspora religions are not the same as the original localized cults in West Africa. Modern Hellenic paganism is far different from the genuine article. So is modern Norse paganism. Etc. That's why this sort of thing falls into the category of Neo-Paganism.

Wicca is a nature religion in that it worships the earth goddess and sun God and rotates within the seasons. However they only worship these two gods, making them separate from pagans. However they can also see the goddess in other goddesses and the same for the God if this makes sense.

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app

I found this great app I wanted to share with you lovely, magickal fishes. You can get it on iPhone and Android and it's called Pagans and Witches by Amino. It has blogs, articles, inspiration, and chats. It's amazing so far. I recommend it. If you get it, you can find me on there as Mermaid Merlissa.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

I prefer good old fashioned spellsofmagic.com. they're a decent community and it was one of the first pagan sites. I'm weird I guess

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app