Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pagan/Witchcraft practicing Merfolk? Anyone?

This is really interesting. I'm reading books about witchcraft, have an alter in my bedroom. I love reading things like this and about dreams and gemstones.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Welcome, the.tattooed.mermaid. Nice to meet you!

What sort of things are on your altar?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    that made me think of the time i caught my dog using the skull from my altar as a chew toy. soooo not happy, thankfully there were no teeth marks and i re-cleansed it with a ritual offering of apology. thankfully the deity the skull is for would have laughed their butt off if they could.
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

@inanna

Heh, yes, you have to watch your animal friends around bones. When we still had cats, I always had to put small bones in jars and bigger ones up higher (way, way higher) to keep them out of kitty reach.

While I miss the cats, I don't miss having to watch what is left on the altars. I never was able to leave offerings unattended for any length of time before. Now it is no longer an issue.

And now, for a personal request:

I would like to ask everyone not to buy the following books or support these authors in any way because their books are plagiarized --

The Book of Tides: Old Sea Witchcraft by Amber AE McDonald
    The Sea Witches' Handbook by Angela McKendrick

Ms McDonald's book is a combination of articles plagiarized word for word from my web site with word for word content from Paul Holman's Sea Witch, plus some other content that looks familiar but I have not had time to source properly.

Ms McKendrick's ebook is a combination of articles plagiarized word for word from my web site with content of presently unknown source. Again, looks familiar but can't source it right now. Most of it is random lists of correspondences which seem irrelevant to the practice of sea magick. I think some of this may be generic magick how-to from the Internet Book of Shadows?

If you have accounts on Goodreads or similar, or if you see someone recommending the books, I would appreciate it if you could pass along the info about these plagiarized texts. I am working on getting the books removed from Amazon, but this may take a while from what I hear about Amazon's speed for IP issues.

I wanted to share something nifty that happened. I see an acupuncturist/Qi healer every month who is really good at what she does. Recently I went in to the room, laid down on the table, and she looked me over and said, "What's going on with your hips?" But I wasn't even thinking about it because I was thinking about what I'd work on that day, about removing blocks and dealing with anxiety. I'd been getting hip pains randomly, and no idea why, more on one side than the other. I'd gone to a new doctor who was wonderful, did all sorts of tests, and nothing's amiss. I'm 'perfectly' healthy in all the physically measurable ways, outside of having asthma forever (mostly under control these days) and hormone-triggered migraines which I can't take anything for. My acu-lady, I'll call her A, works on my migraines, and it's been incredible.

But that day after asking me what was going on in my hips, she said, "Your energy is stuck in your hips." She did the needles for this. She proceeded to pull energy down from my head to my feet.

When I go see her and I'm in the room, I'm open to whatever I need to come to me to help. That day, my canids did- my main animal medicine is and has always been Wolf. (This is something I was raised with, it's a tribal thing- my grandpa, who was chief, taught me to call it Medicine, so do not tell me that's not right, because in my tribe, it is. But I digress.) I also work with canids in general, and a lot of other creatures but Wolf is always with me. So you'll see on my altar, which is mostly water-based, a plaster north American gray wolf paw imprint and pouch of wolf fur, surrounded by whatever else I'm working with. I had not and I still haven't told A about mermaiding, or mermaid anything, we just haven't talked about it because I've been focusing on more finite things. So I'm laying there, and my wolf spirits arrived, along with a red fox and a fennec, and these spirits surround me and the small ones laid on my belly and my ankles, while she put the needles in my hips and legs, and then proceeded to the rest of me.

And that is when she said, "You're a mermaid, but you were born on land. You need to BREATHE and use your feet."

I had to smile at that. She said she saw my ancestors gathering around me.

I said, "Those are my wolves... and a couple others."

She said, "We're multi-layered. They're here to help you."

My hips haven't hurt since. She knows her needles.

There was something really lovely about that understanding of a mermaid soul. And there's a reason my favorite wolves are coastal.

Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    And now, for a personal request:
    Absolutely. My fb is currently deactivated, but if it comes up anywhere else, I'll let them know. (edit- it was deactivated til like 20 mins after this... sigh. Had to go back for reasons.)
    Last edited by deepblue; 04-12-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    I wanted to share something nifty that happened. I see an acupuncturist/Qi healer every month who is really good at what she does. Recently I went in to the room, laid down on the table, and she looked me over and said, "What's going on with your hips?" But I wasn't even thinking about it because I was thinking about what I'd work on that day, about removing blocks and dealing with anxiety. I'd been getting hip pains randomly, and no idea why, more on one side than the other. I'd gone to a new doctor who was wonderful, did all sorts of tests, and nothing's amiss. I'm 'perfectly' healthy in all the physically measurable ways, outside of having asthma forever (mostly under control these days) and hormone-triggered migraines which I can't take anything for. My acu-lady, I'll call her A, works on my migraines, and it's been incredible.

But that day after asking me what was going on in my hips, she said, "Your energy is stuck in your hips." She did the needles for this. She proceeded to pull energy down from my head to my feet.

When I go see her and I'm in the room, I'm open to whatever I need to come to me to help. That day, my canids did- my main animal medicine is and has always been Wolf. (This is something I was raised with, it's a tribal thing- my grandpa, who was chief, taught me to call it Medicine, so do not tell me that's not right, because in my tribe, it is. But I digress.) I also work with canids in general, and a lot of other creatures but Wolf is always with me. So you'll see on my altar, which is mostly water-based, a plaster north American gray wolf paw imprint and pouch of wolf fur, surrounded by whatever else I'm working with. I had not and I still haven't told A about mermaiding, or mermaid anything, we just haven't talked about it because I've been focusing on more finite things. So I'm laying there, and my wolf spirits arrived, along with a red fox and a fennec, and these spirits surround me and the small ones laid on my belly and my ankles, while she put the needles in my hips and legs, and then proceeded to the rest of me.

And that is when she said, "You're a mermaid, but you were born on land. You need to BREATHE and use your feet."

I had to smile at that. She said she saw my ancestors gathering around me.

I said, "Those are my wolves... and a couple others."

She said, "We're multi-layered. They're here to help you."

My hips haven't hurt since. She knows her needles.

There was something really lovely about that understanding of a mermaid soul. And there's a reason my favorite wolves are coastal.
    Oh wow that sounds amazing. My goddess name is Danu. I like to be one with the earth. I didnt choose this goddess she chose me as there is Irish in my family. My dad and his side are Irish. I love to be out in nature, I love animals. I'd be interested in finding out what my spirit animal was

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Sounds like your acupuncturist possesses a keen insight!

Absolutely. My fb is currently deactivated, but if it comes up anywhere else, I'll let them know. (edit- it was deactivated til like 20 mins after this... sigh. Had to go back for reasons.)
    Thank you! I appreciate the help.

I was able to get the one book listing removed from Amazon fairly quickly because Kindle seems to have its own legal team. The other book listing on the other hand is still active after several weeks and over 250 meg of documentation that this isn't the author's original work.

-------------
    Oh, and I am still looking for a copy of "Sea Witch" by Wendy Joubert. After determining that all bookseller listings on Amazon and such do not actually have the book in their possession, I managed to locate the author in hopes that there might be a copy lurking in the storage room (usually have good luck with this). She doesn't have any copies, and said to try my local library.

Much as I like to think this area is the Girdle of the Goddess, I live in the Bible Belt. Out of several library categories such as mythology, psychology, religion, etc, my local library has literally a handful of books that aren't Fundamentalist Christian. This is not one of those handful of books. I have looked at every library system in the state and surrounding states including the universities; they don't have it.

Where I last lived, it was a more liberal area where the libraries did have this type of book. I checked every library system in that area. Nobody has this book apparently.

If anyone has a copy to sell for a reasonable price -- or happens across someone else selling a copy -- please PM me about it. I would like a copy to review.

Happy Esbat, Sisters of the Sea!

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using MerNetwork mobile app

Blessed beltane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaph's Avatar
    Follow MermaidSaph On Twitter
    Follow MermaidSaph on Tumblr Visit MermaidSaph's Youtube Channel
    Just popping in to say hello! Pagan mer here! Also a witch. I'll have to read through this thread when I'm able to focus a bit better!
    Kitvin ☆ they/them ☆ he/him

I will fear not my death or destiny
    Because death fears me
    I'm not afraid to stand up
    Fists up
    Never gonna give up
    I'm lightning, no fear, just adrenaline
    ~
    What kind of scars will you leave?
    What kind of blood will you bleed?
    When fear sets the stage for defeat
    What will your legacy be?

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSaph View Post
    Just popping in to say hello! Pagan mer here! Also a witch. I'll have to read through this thread when I'm able to focus a bit better!
    Welcome! Nice to meet you!

Hi! I don't really call myself anything, but I'm kind of witchy and aware of energy all around me. Everything is energy! I'm into occult knowledge. I'm sensitive and often see sparks of energy or sparkles. I program energy with my intentions, emotions, and actions to manifest my desires. I've created sigils with my menstrual blood and burned them. I'm growing my hair as long as I can because I believe there is spiritual power in hair. I should meditate more, but the sensations I feel and the light code information I receive can sometimes intimidate me. I need to override my fear and be more consistent and disciplined.

On my father's side of the family, my grandmother used to be a witch and interacted with spirits before she converted to Christianity. Unfortunately, I can't do anything very witchy until I move out from under my parents' roof. I'm not yet financially independent. Also, when I was a teenager drawn to witchcraft, I was caught practicing numerous times by my Christian parents, and my mom disowned me as her daughter three times. So, I don't do very much, keep things to myself, and sometimes attend church. My boyfriend is an occultist and is free to go all out on his sorcery. He has an altar, even! He teaches me many things.
    Last edited by Calisai; 10-30-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Hi all, jumping on this thread to say fellow pagan mer here! Cool to see so many of you here. I've got an eclectic approach and fall under the heathen umbrella.

Water has always been the element i feel the deepest connection with, especially places where water meets the earth, creating amazing sounds and shapes. I am lucky enough to live in a place with deep woods and clear streams and do my best to spend each day in nature.

Sent from my VS987 using MerNetwork mobile app

Nice to meet you, GreenMountainMer!

Quote Originally Posted by Calisai View Post
    Hi! I don't really call myself anything, but I'm kind of witchy and aware of energy all around me. Everything is energy! I'm into occult knowledge. I'm sensitive and often see sparks of energy or sparkles. I program energy with my intentions, emotions, and actions to manifest my desires. I've created sigils with my menstrual blood and burned them. I'm growing my hair as long as I can because I believe there is spiritual power in hair. I should meditate more, but the sensations I feel and the light code information I receive can sometimes intimidate me. I need to override my fear and be more consistent and disciplined.

On my father's side of the family, my grandmother used to be a witch and interacted with spirits before she converted to Christianity. Unfortunately, I can't do anything very witchy until I move out from under my parents' roof. I'm not yet financially independent. Also, when I was a teenager drawn to witchcraft, I was caught practicing numerous times by my Christian parents, and my mom disowned me as her daughter three times. So, I don't do very much, keep things to myself, and sometimes attend church. My boyfriend is an occultist and is free to go all out on his sorcery. He has an altar, even! He teaches me many things.
    So, this is how I got into mermaids and witchcraft... I was born with a hearing loss in both ears. Specifically, it's a severe bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. "Severe" is just a level below "Profound", and profound hearing loss means entirely deaf, no residual hearing. The doctors had no idea what caused my hearing loss, and they weren't sure if I lost my hearing while in the womb or shortly after birth. My parents suspected something was wrong when I didn't start speaking English as a one or two-year-old like others my age. I babbled nonsense, mimicking other people, because I saw and learned that they moved their mouths to make noise. I somehow fooled a doctor at a hearing checkup, so he thought my hearing was normal. Finally, I received and wore hearing aids at almost three years of age. The sound I heard was magical! "Plane!" I'd cry out, pointing to the sky. Whereas I had little interest toward the TV before, all of a sudden the TV enraptured me. Growing up, however, my life wasn't quite normal like other children. I attended speech therapy classes for several years with speech pathologists, audiologists, and kids who had hearing aids and cochlear implants. My English pronunciation was perfect. I was one of the most successful in speech therapy. I'm considered part of the 1% of deaf people who have zero traces of a nasal-sounding "deaf" voice.

Around ten or eleven years old was when I began struggling with the fact that I wore hearing aids. I was the only hearing-impaired kid in my small private school. Middle school was horrific. I struggled to make friends, as my peers didn't know how to react around me, and they parted in the hallways as I walked by. I felt like I was viewed as some kind of alien or a disease. Social ostracism. I cried all the time. After multiple pleadings with God to take away my emotional pain and perhaps heal me (I was a devout Christian at the time), I became desperate and looked to magic spells on the Internet to search for a cure for my hearing loss. The incantations didn't work, but I kept looking through spells. I stumbled upon mermaid spells, and I was intrigued. I've learned since then that Internet spells are mostly garbage. Real magic is not just chanting an incantation or putting together certain ingredients to make something happen. Not like the movies. It's so much more than that. As a middle schooler dabbling into things I didn't understand, I wasn't aware of that. Eventually, I tired of spells and labeled them as BS, but witchcraft still held my interest. I found a website called thesirenscove.com (which doesn't exist anymore) and found many teenagers who were into witchcraft, paganism, and mermaids! I learned about something new...shifting. Now, some witchcraft practitioners think that physically shifting into an animal is magically impossible, while others (some occult circles) believe that shapeshifting is a difficult, advanced form of magic that few achieve. thesirenscove.com took the idea of shifting from the werewolf community and adapted it to suit mermaids.

WARNING: A lot of information about shifting that I learned in the paragraph below.

The first step of the process is "fantasy shifting" (F-shifting), which is where you research marine anatomy to suit your mermaid self's survival and create what you want your tail to look like. The second is "mental shifting" (M-shifting), which takes several months to over a year to properly achieve. This is where you imagine your mermaid self's personality and behavior. The mind of a mermaid. Each mermaid should go their own pace to be thorough, not rushing the process. The third is "physical shifting" (P-shifting), which is a very long process of meditating with the intent of physically morphing legs into the tail of your desire (referring to your F-shift tail you created). P-shifting is summoning your astral tail (that you created as a thought form in the F-shift phase and imagined on yourself in the M-shift phase) into the physical realm. Some mermaids may astral project to practice shifting in the astral realm. In lucid dreaming or astral projection, the laws of the universe go out the window, and you display creation abilities like a god (according to Genesis, you are made in the image of God, the Creator). While P-shifting, mermaids keep in mind of a danger called the "point of no return" (PNR). If they successfully shift, they should not remain in mermaid form for long and should shift back, unless they get "stuck" as a mermaid forever. Beginner shifters should gradually increase the time spent as a mermaid each time to push back the PNR. There may also be a phase between Step 2 and Step 3, called "phantom shifting", which some include as a step. It's where a mermaid might experience the sensation of actually having a tail, scales, and fins while their legs appear normal to the eye. This is comparable to someone who has an amputated limb but still feels the sensation of having the limb they lost, a phantom limb.

Whew, so much information. Moving on now... I joined a mermaid pod on the Kik app and felt a sense of belonging with my online mermaid friends that I didn't have with my peers in real life. We all practiced shifting together, spoke of spiritual experiences in life and psychic abilities, and chatted about anything. I meditated a lot back then and really exercised my psychic muscles! While I tried to shift and never succeeded, I felt a discomfort in my legs when I tried. My brain had created phantom aches. Also, shifting was kind of boring, so I gave up after a while and kept hanging out with the pod for social reasons. Fun facts: My mermaid name, Calisai, came to me while I was meditating one time. The name "Calisai" was accompanied by images of a cave with stalactites and stalagmites. I didn't quite make it up. It was "given" to me. Also, I didn't create Calisai's appearance or personality. From a great light in my third eye while meditating, she came to me as an entity with her own mind, and she helped boost my psychic abilities. Her tail is silver, she is very pale-skinned with long, platinum blonde hair, and her eyes are vivid green.

Years later, the pod renamed its main chat room "Otherkin" and invited several other people who identified as something other than mermaids. I slowly drifted away around that time, mentally battling with myself on whether I should continue being a mermaid and practicing witchcraft or become a Christian again. I was debating with myself all through high school and college what I should believe in and do, drifting toward witchcraft at one moment and drifting toward Christianity at another moment. Since leaving the Kik pod, I hadn't done anything mermaid-related, and I hadn't connected with Calisai. However, I think around that time I began having unusual dreams about water, mermaids, and being a mermaid. I've had so many repeating dreams over the years about these three themes that it's uncanny. It makes me wonder if my mermaid mind (or Calisai) had never left me, and I was unknowingly stuck in my M-shift. Certainly, in my dreams, I think differently, more mermaid-like. My profile expands on my dreams a bit, if you would like to check out the biography section in my profile.

Now, I'm just hanging out here as physically human but with the heart of a mermaid. I can just make a tail and be a part-time recreational mermaid, have fun, and connect with my dream mermaid side to a certain extent.

This is off topic, but I've been with my boyfriend of two years, and he is an occultist! He's very good at manifesting with his manipulation of energy. I had written a list of traits I wanted in an ideal boyfriend, and I had a vision of what he looked like. A year or two later I met him! He has all the traits I listed, and even though I physically met him for the first time, he looked familiar to me because I had seen him before in my mind. So, it was more like...I recognized him. It's like, after I sent in my order to the universe, the cosmic boyfriend factory produced me my desired boyfriend, lol. Also, he told me that he had psychic impressions of hearing a woman say certain phrases before he met me, and I had unknowingly said those exact phrases he had heard prior to our meeting! After two years, we've grown so much stronger in our relationship. I love him so much. He's not into the merfolk community, but that's all right. I've told him all about my mermaid adventures and dreams, and he wonders if I have "Mermaid" as my totem animal, or something.

Sorry for writing a novel, haha! I really wanted to share this with you.
    Last edited by Calisai; 11-07-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Follow mermaid-dna on Tumblr Visit mermaid-dna's Youtube Channel
    Me!

I have been a Witch for a very long time, i have a crystal ball named Jupiter and she is just the prettiest ball. But like besides that. Im not very pagan but i do use some of the tactics for my readings and potion making. But im mainly a Caribbean witch voodoo and all of that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Syriianis Novella~♥

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Syriianis View Post
    I have been a Witch for a very long time, i have a crystal ball named Jupiter and she is just the prettiest ball. But like besides that. Im not very pagan but i do use some of the tactics for my readings and potion making. But im mainly a Caribbean witch voodoo and all of that stuff
    Thats awesome! I have two scrying spheres but I'm not very good with them. Pendulum is my preferred scrying tool and i have like...12 XD
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc