Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Faeries

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Galene, I would reinforce the seams in the back quite sturdily, at least, if you plan on having no boning - if it's floppy at all, the wings could eventually wear down the back with strain and fall out! Especially if the wind catches it or the like. I'm thinking just making some mega-reinforced back seams, possibly with some "cording" boning (either just in the seams area or across the whole back), could work well for you. Back in the day before actual boning in corsets, they used to use stiff cords or reeds, LOTS of them, to stiffen a corset. This past summer I got to handle a gorgeous corset boned in this way, and it was simply marvelous! Another idea is some basic plastic boning just in the back seams area.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    The large zip ties work amazingly well as corset boning. And I'm with Miyu in that you could just bone the back of the bodice. Actually, the bodice I'm wearing in my picture doesn't have any boning except at the front opening where it laces up.

the pattern looks fine. My sister made a wing holster to hold her humongous wings. it looks very similar to that pattern with the shoulder pieces except it only extends about 4 inches below her bra line. It has a pocket at the back that the wings sit in.
    she always says its very comfortable. There's no boning in the holster.
    I have two corsets that I use and both have nylon boning in them. No metal.
    unfortunately I don't have a pic of the wing holster as it's always under her tops.
    Name:  IMG_1488.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  87.6 KB
    here's a pic of all our wings together. Her's are so much bigger! mine used to be the biggest, but she made another pair.
    Our dad calls it wing envy. haha
    I think the pattern you've chosen should be fine without boning as long as it fits snuggly to you it should hold you wings without problem. Since they're not hugely oversized wings.
    in fact if you made a cropped corset type thing you could even format it to look like a mermaid top as well to tie the whole concept together.
    Mermaid Enora

Name:  Wings.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  90.8 KB

My wings. Sorry about my foot, but I had to keep them from tipping over.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Love the purple!
    Mermaid Enora

Thanks! I'm in love with your shoes, by the way!
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

thanks! I've been thinking of listing custom orders on etsy, but haven't got around to it yet.
    Mermaid Enora

Thanks for all the tips, everybody! I think I'm going to have to try several approaches and see what works best. I've built lots of puppet stages, props, and animal training tools over the years, so I'm fairly good at mechanical engineering. I just have to find some time for experimentation.

It's delightful to see so many lovely sets of wings here! Each pair is so individual.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    those big wings!
    ...wing envy, lmao!

I mostly use Isis wings, don't judge me!

but I looooove Isis wings, I've been wanting a pair so badly myself... >.<

And I agree, it's awesome seeing the individuality of everyone's wings; they're more like mermaid tails than we thought

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Oh, I totally want Isis wings, too. They actually move!

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Enora View Post
    thanks! I've been thinking of listing custom orders on etsy, but haven't got around to it yet.
    IF you do, let me know. I'll share it with the TRF people. I know you'll get a few orders with them.

I have a pair of large fairy wings that I started on but stopped for one reason or another. The basic framing is done so it wouldn't take much to finish them. They are for a Queen Mab outfit I have designed. And now that I know so much more about wire wrapping, I think I need to get them out again and try to get them finished.

Thanks
    i think they like to make most of their own stuff from what I can see on Facebook
    if I do post anything I'll notify this thread

i do have arm warmers up right now
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/REdefining...hopheader-name
    they're great for cooler weather, but not so good in water.
    Mermaid Enora

Some do but if it's a good enough product, they'll buy it

Love those arm warmers!

I have a long list of stuff to post on etsy but I've just not had time
    mainly cause I'm tired of having my tail table taking up too much space in my room so I'm rushing to finish it and I go to too many ren faires
    is there anything in my pics on this thread that would catch your eye if it were on etsy?
    im just not sure what to post first?
    Last edited by Mermaid Enora; 01-22-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    Mermaid Enora

Oooh hey I may totally have to make myself some more wings soon, since Morticia's making me that prototype tail, and the fluke mold she's created for mine IS called the "Titania"...

The fluke design so far is sooooo cuuuuute too, it's one of the smallest nice silicone flukes I've seen! But it's totally and completely perfect for me, because I am a very petite person, and a very large fluke would not be so easy for regular swimming or doing tricks (I do have plans to have a larger-fluked tail eventually, but that is more of an art tail, and because I have a short-person complex and want a big fluke to show off in sometimes dangit LOL)

Hmm, I may have to alter my fairy-colours to match my coming tail, since the fluke is just too perfect for a water-fairie

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Can't wait to see pics of your new tail when It's done, Miyu! And yes, wings! More wings!

My mermaid persona has a lot of contacts with the Faery world. She trades secrets and artifacts with the faeries, both land and water faeries (seen here with a mask she got from one such encounter):
    ~~ Awaken your Inner Mermaid ~~

Visit my art thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-s-Merfolk-Art