Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Faeries

Water Faeries

Here's a thread for mers who also work and play as costumed faeries.

In my work I try to teach and inspire children about nature, animal welfare, and conservation. Music, literature, and costumed theatre/character acting are my tools.

Thus far my working character has been a standard mermaid. I'm just starting to explore the faery world and loving it. I've got a couple pairs of wings on order from Etsy to go with my upcoming new tail themes. I'm really excited about adding faery costuming, flight, etc, to my mermaid naturalist programs. As a water faery mermaid I can now take the kids into lessons about birds and insects and wetlands as well as larger aquatic habitats. Not to mention dragonflies and dragons! The faery world offers so much lush imagery and inspiration for my songwriting. My new persona as Mermaid Galene, Water Faery Naturalist, is really letting me soar!

I'm excited to become a blend of mer and fae, and I look forward to sharing that interest with other merfolk!

Bumped from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Enora View Post
    I was thinking that too as it might get a bit off track here soon.
    There was a fairy thread before but it was mostly about a faenetwork similar to mernetwork. Not necessarily for showing off fairy whatnot. It might be nice to have that. Or a place for wing or head wreaths tutorials and such and the like.
    Galene I'd like to see what a mermaid with wings might look like. My fairy wings are much too big to be worn with my tail I'd need to make a smaller set of wings for that.
    I tried to choose smaller wings so they would work with me sitting in a tail. Once both pairs arrive, we'll see whether I can make it work! I do plan to start making my own wings when I can find the time. Hoping to come up with a swimmable version as well as sittable.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    yay for more water fairies!

I'd love to incorporate wings in a swimmable costume, I haven't found a feasible way to do it though
    (too much drag, and if the wings are really large and impressive, it's risky to use them underwater and getting tangled).
    So far, I use wings outside and drop them when going in the water.

There are plenty wingless waterfairies anyway (naiads, nymphs, rusalki, vily), I have several waterspirit outfits which I use for waterballets that couldn't be done in a tail (splits come to mind).

There was a thread about those underwater wings (used to glide underwater), maybe that's a principle to make wings swimmable?

Hey, Echidna, welcome! I do think the concept of water faerie has so many wonderful possibilities! One could portray a shapeshifter, a chimera, or, as you say, naiaid or nereid type being. And those have parallels in the animal kingdom. The mimic octopus and dragonflies immediately come to mind. I want my character to represent links to real creatures and real habitats so that, through fantasy and myth, children will feel a deeper connection to the real world of nature.

I'm thinking swimmable wings would have to be rather small and fairly flat against the back to minimize drag. It would be easy to make some very detailed and lovely wings from neoprene, and I'm considering that. But neoprene is so floaty, it might try to pull one up to the surface without weights, and swimming with a weight on the back sounds dangerous.

I remember that underwater wing thread, now that you mention it. They were essentially hanggliding at serious depth with the contraption. Will have to check that out again...

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I was contemplating a water fairy for dry gigs. Fancy Fairy has some beautiful water inspired wings and I started discussing with her about the possibility of swimmable wings.

I don't have any swimmable wings as of yet. I think for now I'll plan on keeping the mermaid and fairy stuff separate since I'm just getting into mermaiding.
    But since I just figured out how to post photos a little bit ago.....here's my wings!
    Name:  IMG_1093.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  62.8 KB
    Mermaid Enora

Those are really pretty wings, Enora! They're gorgeous. I'm new to mermaiding, and have always loved mermaids and fairies and would be interested in doing both. I know mermaid Harmony does both, and both seem feasible; as for wings underwater..... That sounds SUPER cool, but I have no clue how one would go about making such.
    I lost my heart to the Ocean
    and with it, a piece of my
    soul
    https://instagram.com/mermaid_nerida/

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    My wings popped out at MerFest, of all places!

(Formerly known as Ζolius)

nice! do they light up?
    I can't quite tell but they look like they might.
    Mermaid Enora

Wow, Enora and Dan, spectacular wings! What are they made of? How did you achieve the veining?

Love this, yeah the thread I started a while back was to see if there's a place like this for fae, and there are forums but it's also a catch all for pagans, circles, LARPers, and performers, so lots of interesting information, but a lot to sort through.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

here are my wings I made several years back

Those are lovely, Sherielle! Wherever did you find that humongous flower?

Welcome, Harmony!

Sherielle, where'd you get such a big flower??
    I want one to experiment with some sort of an umbrella.
    Galene, my wings are made of drop ceiling/chain link fence repair wire from home depot, spray adhesive, jewelry wire, electrical tape, and cellophane.
    The wings are quite heavy and have a sturdy and snug fitting corset to hold them up.
    Mermaid Enora

Believe it or not, I got that flower at the floral department at my local Kroger. I haven't seen them since.
    It's my BFF.
    Big Freaking Flower

Krogers of all places. haha
    I found some flowers at hobby lobby but they're half the size of your flower.
    Mermaid Enora

Krogers! Whodathunk?!

Fledgling faerie here. I'm focusing on mermaid stuff right now, but I've got my wings. :P
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

My ice fairy wings just arrived! But I'm sitting in a doctor's office, so I haven't been able to play with them yet.

Name:  Tune 01c.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  76.9 KB Me as a fairy I made both dresses and the wings and also made the dolls outfits.