Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Vent about your high school experiences!

not sure if this is a sad story or a happy one? It might be a bit long, but anyway here goes:

I'm still in high school, almost into my second last year (in like 8 days) D: and I've kinda always wanted a Bff like I once had in primary school. She was (still is, but we've kinda lost touch) the most awesome friend ever. we'd have sleepovers almost every week (that I remember?) and would play in her awesome treehouse for hours. I haven't really found a friend like that since her. I mean yeah, I do have some great friends, but they're always too busy to come over or something. Another thing is like what you guys have been saying about exclusion; my friends almost never invite me to their things. I've only gone into town shopping once with them (well looking at wierd stuff in shops then saying "oohh! you'd look lovely in that") >.< but nevermind, I'm getting off track. I just feel kinda horrible when my friends plan stuff and don't tell me about it. Like Fun123joker, I've sort of kept the whole 'wanting to buy an amazing realistic tail' thing to myself. The only one I've told is my steprother. (I REALLY HAD TO TELL SOMEONE) I bought myself a monofin, and told my mum that I'd like to sew up a tail to use with it (when she eventually isn't too busy to teach me how to use a sewing machine) -.- Once again, I'm off topic. I've also always had problems with bullies, (sarcastic "yay") but never really too bad. I try to brush them off. I'm really hoping that the last two years of high school go well. If they don't and I feel like I need to share it, I'll come here :P
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Joker, if I was you I would looked at them and said "Talk to the booty, 'cause the hand's off duty" and walked away.

One day I had to bring my tail to school because I was being picked up right after school for a photoshoot. I brought it into my global history class and asked my teacher if I could keep it in her classroom for the day. She asked me what it was (I had wrapped it in a big yellow blanket so you couldn't tell what it was). She got so excited and made me unwrap my tail and lay it out on the table in front of the entire class. I've never seen anyone so in awe over a mermaid tail before, she was absolutely amazed.
    Mermaid Nessie
    Canadian Mermaids Inc.
    nessiemermaid@gmail.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nessiemermaid?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by OceanWhisper View Post
    not sure if this is a sad story or a happy one? It might be a bit long, but anyway here goes:

I'm still in high school, almost into my second last year (in like 8 days) D: and I've kinda always wanted a Bff like I once had in primary school. She was (still is, but we've kinda lost touch) the most awesome friend ever. we'd have sleepovers almost every week (that I remember?) and would play in her awesome treehouse for hours. I haven't really found a friend like that since her. I mean yeah, I do have some great friends, but they're always too busy to come over or something. Another thing is like what you guys have been saying about exclusion; my friends almost never invite me to their things. I've only gone into town shopping once with them (well looking at wierd stuff in shops then saying "oohh! you'd look lovely in that") >.< but nevermind, I'm getting off track. I just feel kinda horrible when my friends plan stuff and don't tell me about it. Like Fun123joker, I've sort of kept the whole 'wanting to buy an amazing realistic tail' thing to myself. The only one I've told is my steprother. (I REALLY HAD TO TELL SOMEONE) I bought myself a monofin, and told my mum that I'd like to sew up a tail to use with it (when she eventually isn't too busy to teach me how to use a sewing machine) -.- Once again, I'm off topic. I've also always had problems with bullies, (sarcastic "yay") but never really too bad. I try to brush them off. I'm really hoping that the last two years of high school go well. If they don't and I feel like I need to share it, I'll come here :P
    I have been in the same situation with a group of friends in high school. I lived in a small, rural community that was a pretty long drive from where my school was and friends lived. I had been friends with some of these people for 4+ years and never been to their house or seen them outside of school. I was always the one friend that was never invited anywhere because they assumed I could never go because I lived so far away.
    Mermaid Nessie
    Canadian Mermaids Inc.
    nessiemermaid@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nessie View Post
    I have been in the same situation with a group of friends in high school. I lived in a small, rural community that was a pretty long drive from where my school was and friends lived. I had been friends with some of these people for 4+ years and never been to their house or seen them outside of school. I was always the one friend that was never invited anywhere because they assumed I could never go because I lived so far away.
    I'm kinda in that same boat? :I where I live isn't a massive town, but it's still big enough for a rural town I guess. Another problem with me trying to meet up with anyone is hard, because they all live on the other side of town, and I can really only be transported anywhere by my mum. (SHE'S ALWAYS BUSY ARGHH)
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by OceanWhisper View Post
    I'm kinda in that same boat? :I where I live isn't a massive town, but it's still big enough for a rural town I guess. Another problem with me trying to meet up with anyone is hard, because they all live on the other side of town, and I can really only be transported anywhere by my mum. (SHE'S ALWAYS BUSY ARGHH)
    WE ARE THE SAME PERSON. I was in the exact same situation in high school.
    Mermaid Nessie
    Canadian Mermaids Inc.
    nessiemermaid@gmail.com

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling alone. I had the bestest (I know it's not a word) friend ever in the sixth grade. We're still really close, but she thinks that mermaids are a "baby thing". I've never told her that I want to be a professional one day, because I know that she won't understand. She thinks going swimming in a public place, (like the sping-fed river I love so dearly) is to FLIRT. Fo-rillz?! No! (I'm getting off topic) But I have another friend that loves mermaids, and I have yet to get her alone to ask if she wants to go mermaiding with me. Only my mom knows about this, but I'm pretty sure my dad's catching on (seashells all over the house, tail designs, leaving the mahina merfin site up on my computer, etc.)

Now, last night I texted my best friend just to say hi, and somehow she got to talking about how she misses all the fun we used to have. So, I ended up typing a ridiculously long text telling her how every time I try to make plans with her, she's (somehow even on a Sunday when I'm asking about the next weekend) already got plans. I recently learned that I'm the last person she calls to invite (out of a group of four -including her-) to anything. My mom just randomly busted into my room last night and said, "PICK ANY WEEKEND YOU WANT, AND CALL KALI, JESS, AND HEATHER, CUZ YOU'RE HAVING A SLEEPOVER!" I was a little startled at her aggression on this topic. She said she's tired of me being alone on the weekends.

Sorry for my novel, just thought I'd run over a few details.

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!
    I lost my heart to the Ocean
    and with it, a piece of my
    soul
    https://instagram.com/mermaid_nerida/

Ok so I'm a senior in highschool and I'm so ready to be out of here!

Not sure what this post would be considered, not really exclusion but idk..

So I've always been the quiet girl at my school, I have friends whom I am very close with and support me in everything I do. The end of middle school/ beginning of highschool I was made fun of a lot.. to the point where people actually threw food/bits of their lunch tray at me. I called it my "ugly duckling years" because I was not by any means pretty. I has ridiculously short dry and frizzy hair, braces, and sucked at makeup and usually looked like a raccoon. I got laughed at all the time (before I went through this phase I actually was really close to the popular people, but when j changed they all left me and I soon learned who my true friends were)

Once I got out of that phase and got prettier I guess you could say, the way people treated me changed. I still wasn't talked to by my old friends, however; several guys who used to make fun of me tried asking me out (which I told them to go fuck themselves) and guys actually became inappropriate and perverted towards me. Still not the way I wanted to be treated.

THEN MY MERMAIDING HAPPENED
    I started mermaiding in the middle of this summer. As soon as school started back up I was swarmed by people with questions (guys and girls). I live in an island/surfing community so what I do is considered awesome by my peers. I'm still treated disrespectfully by people here. Several guys have pictures of me as a mermaid saved to their phones, of course I get the "How do mermaids have sex though?" Question from guys.

The friends I do have here though are amazing and supportive of me. They go to every public event I make appearances at, and are always there for me when I need them
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

^^
    I'm ready to get out of highschool and I'm only a freshman. I'm still in that "ugly duckling" phase, though I'm hoping I'll be out of it by next year. I'm saving money so I can make a neoprene tail, and I'm hoping that will help me get over my shyness. I doubt I'll post pics though, guys are already perverted towards me enough, I really don't want to get in another fistfight. Your story is really inspiring for me. When I read your post, I realized, highschool means nothing in the long run. It's just a small portion of my life, and I need to do what makes me happy while I'm living.

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!
    I lost my heart to the Ocean
    and with it, a piece of my
    soul
    https://instagram.com/mermaid_nerida/

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Perhaps not a vent because it never really upset me, but here's a story from when I was in high school:

So one year I was trying to start growing my hair out, this included my fringe and it was getting to that point where it was getting in my eyes because it was too long but wasn't long enough to tuck behind my ears. So I wore a bandanna to school one day, and once I realised no one had any issue with me wearing it to class (I live in Australia so we have uniforms in EVERY school so it's always a bit confusing what you are and aren't allowed to wear when it comes to personal accessories) I wore it all the time, from the time school started to the time it ended. Then entire school ended up knowing me as 'bandanna girl', which was a nice thing for me because I was struggling a bit with my identity at that point.

Anyway this goes on for (I forget how long now, two months or less anyway) and one day after school I'm standing around with my friends and suddenly someone (a boy a few years younger than me) comes up and yanks the thing off my head. Well my first reaction was just 'why did you do that. His response was priceless.

"The entire school says you have cancer and that you wear a wig and that's why you wear those bandannas"

Needless to say I wasn't entirely sure how to respond to that one.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I was bullied all through primary school and high school. In primary school, the school bully was a, I think Greek or Lebanese boy, he had a small posse of other boys from his country. The would go around picking on all the Asians. One day I got so tired of him, he was taller than me, he kicked my friend's drink, a tiny Chinese girl, we were playing hop skotch, and she started crying. So I gave him a swift kick in the balls, and told him to "leave us alone!"

After that, I never saw him pick on any of the Asian kids again.

In high school, I wasn't invited to anything either. And was ignored unless they want to someone to pick on for the day. I had a small circle of friends. My then best friend had told me I was "eccentric" I didn't know what it meant at that time, so I liked everything that the other girls liked, music, boy bands, sexy actors etc. Life after school was much easier. Then I could be me, and be more artistic and creative. To this day, I still don't make friends easily. But I value quality of friend over quantity.

The moral of the story is, don't care what people think of you. Do what you love and enjoy! And chances are, you'll never see them again after high school. You might see one or two at university, they might've grown up by then and actually want to be your friend, that is for you to decide. If they still think that they're higher than you, don't waste your breath. People like that will never change.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-26-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I had a VERY rough time in high school. I was the ugly duckling from middle school until my senior year, finishing off my junior year at 4'11 and 180 lbs, and finishing my senior year at 5'0 and 113 lbs. I actually graduated with a 1.8 GPA, and was barely able to get into a local university because of it. I went through years of forced child labor and and over a decade of child abuse from my parents. I internalized my fear and moved through my world, completely depressed, yet emotionless. My peers found this as an opportunity to pick on me and exclude me from everything.

Even in middle school, in a class of 27 students, all of them would invite each other to a gathering, purposely exclude me, get together, and then talk about how much fun they had the next day, sometimes leading into the next week (complete with inside jokes that they made at the get-together).

I still have a terrible taste in my mouth about theater, because I tried out for every theater production my school put on, never got in, and was made fun of for it. There was one time I was doing algebra in my theater class before it started, and a classmate called me over and told me that my teacher needed me outside. The whole class was gathered at the doorway for some unknown reason, and the teacher wasn't even in yet. So I walked out into the hallway, slipped on a banana peel, caught myself, laughed it off, and went towards my desk. It would have been fine and dandy if it weren't a complete set up to harass me. As soon as I re-entered the room, one of my classmates shoved me, grabbed me by the neck and held me in the air, while the rest of the class laughed. Since he was the teacher's favorite, he got all of the lead roles and got off without even a slap on the wrist.

But what I take away from all of this is this: Life gets better. I graduated from college with a 3.8 GPA and a job offer from Walt Disney World, got away from my toxic household and into a place of my own, and had the best years of my life reimagining myself as an adult, living life without regrets and living life to it's fullest. Who needs high school friends, when you have a bright future ahead of you?

As I like to say, "those who excelled in high school will be completely lost in college. Those who were outcasted, will realize their full potential as adults."

You'll get through this.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidCelesteFL View Post
    I still have a terrible taste in my mouth about theater, because I tried out for every theater production my school put on, never got in, and was made fun of for it. There was one time I was doing algebra in my theater class before it started, and a classmate called me over and told me that my teacher needed me outside. The whole class was gathered at the doorway for some unknown reason, and the teacher wasn't even in yet. So I walked out into the hallway, slipped on a banana peel, caught myself, laughed it off, and went towards my desk. It would have been fine and dandy if it weren't a complete set up to harass me. As soon as I re-entered the room, one of my classmates shoved me, grabbed me by the neck and held me in the air, while the rest of the class laughed. Since he was the teacher's favorite, he got all of the lead roles and got off without even a slap on the wrist.
    wow that is horrible. this is why school hallways should have cameras, to catch and prevent this stuff.

And that was called "getting jumped". I was also "canned" (getting thrown into a trash can), and thrown into a locker by my own swim team. Hazing was a common thing at my school, especially since it was in the ghetto.

My theater teacher flat-out told my parents that I was "too unsightly to be seen on stage", so I didn't deserve a role in any of the productions, no matter how hard I tried. Once I lost all of the weight, the school plays that year were Picnic and A Raisin in the Sun. That kinda made it hard for me to audition.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Wow and I thought my school was bad. But mine was out in the country and it was mostly farm kids.

I've been out of high school for years now, but had my fair share of problems. somewhere during the summer between 10th and 11th grade all my friends decided that another friend was no longer good to be seen with. We'd all been close friends at the same school since 3rd grade. So on the first day of school, we all picked a table for lunch and then everyone left to go to a different table. So the two of us followed them. After they all moved again I had had it with that nonsense. so the two of us left sat together for lunch, one of the worst lunches ever. We're still great friends and hang out every week together. The other girls never spoke to us again and we've never seen or heard from them since. Even though we all graduated together and had class together for another two years. anyway years down the road they've all turned out to be complete drop outs on society who've done nothing with their lives and I'm so thankful to not have been mixed up in any of their shenanigans.
    Mermaid Enora

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    I dropped out unofficially after my freshman year. Officially, the school sent me a letter saying that they're dropping me on my 16th birthday.

Tis been almost 10 years since that letter haha.

I was so depressed and suicidal because of child abuse, rape, neglect, homelessness, and all that fun stuff that got worst as i was hitting my teens. I wanted to talk to the teachers but there were non that I could really connect with because i was going through so much that i could not comprehend or absorb simple lessons or any information. A lot of the teachers just thought I was stupid and treated me as such so I often argued with them and got into fights with other students. I went from being top 5% in another school district, honor student, straight A's, school president in elementary and middle school, to being called a "delinquent" and sleeping under my bed to avoid going to school and the stress that came with it. And what's worst is that i don't really fit in to anything or any category so I had no real friends, just lots of acquaintances. Plus i was even too weird to hang out with the misfits lol. A misfit of the misfits.

But since then though, I'm almost 25, own a house, and I'm in the process of starting my own business where as most of the people who've bullied me are still stuck in the ghetto or are at the same place i last saw them.

To anyone reading this; no matter what they tell you, keep your head up and believe in yourself. Believe that you are wonderful in its entirety and that things WILL get better. It sometimes just takes time.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    soooo this is the first presentation or this year's english class. we had to search up a word and teach the class about it like where it comes from and stuff. i think im good at presentations ( i assume so because more then 3 times i would be stopped by the teacher as he/she would mention how im actually teaching and i actually know all the stuff instead of just reading it off of a card) so i picked magic. everything went ok until the last part.
    "do you guys wanna see a card trick?" i worked on this trick all night. my practice shows there should of been no way i could of messed it up. it called for a volenteer to do alot of work though so we wernt sure if i screw up or if my volenteer screwed up all and all the trick failed. i feel like i should be really embarrassed but i think i took the situation pretty well. i explained how it was suppose to go and how card tricks are all patterns and secrets.
    just one of those moments where you swear you are part of a sitcom ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ oh well

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

wow dont you love it when the forum totally forgot the corrections you did on your post so when posted it looks like a wall of text

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Selene View Post
    Perhaps not a vent because it never really upset me, but here's a story from when I was in high school:

So one year I was trying to start growing my hair out, this included my fringe and it was getting to that point where it was getting in my eyes because it was too long but wasn't long enough to tuck behind my ears. So I wore a bandanna to school one day, and once I realised no one had any issue with me wearing it to class (I live in Australia so we have uniforms in EVERY school so it's always a bit confusing what you are and aren't allowed to wear when it comes to personal accessories) I wore it all the time, from the time school started to the time it ended. Then entire school ended up knowing me as 'bandanna girl', which was a nice thing for me because I was struggling a bit with my identity at that point.

Anyway this goes on for (I forget how long now, two months or less anyway) and one day after school I'm standing around with my friends and suddenly someone (a boy a few years younger than me) comes up and yanks the thing off my head. Well my first reaction was just 'why did you do that. His response was priceless.

"The entire school says you have cancer and that you wear a wig and that's why you wear those bandannas"

Needless to say I wasn't entirely sure how to respond to that one.

OMG IM GOING THROUGH THE SAME EXCAT THING

so the only thing stopping me from not keeping my cool is my long blue winter scarf. i wear it everyday and i love it, it became part of my identity. i deal with people pulling at it so rudely like if i was a horse attached on reins. now adays my friends just warn other people who reach for it because i only let goof friends touch my scarfs. those who warn approchers are the ones who seen me snap at them. there was alot of times in middle school where people would clear my path in fear (it wasnt like i was inimidating everyday, it just happened when people learned what happens when you play with fire)
    ususally i let people use thier imagination when it comes to why i wear a scarf everyday. it was when this one girl came up to me and said "youknow, people cover up thier hickys with scarves. considering that you also wear that thing in the summer" i still wear that scarf to this day but i keep that in min. kinda funny if you ask me

idk where else to put this but there was this teenager who is going door to door asking if people want to buy a nwspaper subscribtion so he can raise money for colledge. i kept on trying to tell him im a broke teenager but he kept on saying it was only $18. this kept on going until i acutally had to say im 15. im realising that my age and body never seem to match. when i talk to older people they always assume im atleast in colledge. it happens all the time at conventions. but when i play video games people always think im 12 (8 was the youngest a person though i was)

i have the curves of an adult but the voice of a pre-pubesent boy sometimes i feel like the pitful childwomen