Thread: Summer Boat Cruise?

Summer Boat Cruise?

So, I work on a historic steamship named the Virginia V. Every summer she does a cruise from Seattle to Bainbridge island, and this year I thought I'd see if any other merfolk would like to come. The date is July 19th this year, and tickets are $20.

The ship will depart from South Lake Union in Seattle and arrive at Bainbridge to drop people off. We'll have about 6 hours to sight see, get food, and go for a swim before the ship returns to pick passengers up and head back to Seattle.

I've also made a meetup page on the group Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/events/651167611680055/
    Last edited by Triton-Mahtlinnie; 05-28-2015 at 09:02 PM.

The tentative itinerary.

9:00am: Board the Ship at South Lake Union park. (860 Terry Ave North)

9:30am: Departure

12:00: Arrive at Bainbridge Island and disembark.

12-1: Eat Lunch

1:00: Get a taxi to Fort Ward Park

1-5: Time for swimming/photos/enjoying the park/ what have you.

5:00: Return from the park

5-6:30: Time for Dinner

6:30pm: Board the ship for the return to Seattle

9:30pm: Ship arrives back at South Lake Union.

NOTE: If you cannot make the cruise (or need to leave early, or if you arrive late) but still want to go swimming, the Washington State Ferry lands right at the town of Winslow, next to where the ship will be arriving. You can take the ferry from Colman Dock in downtown Seattle and meet the rest of the group there.
    Last edited by Triton-Mahtlinnie; 07-16-2015 at 02:52 PM.

I may not make the cruise but I should be there to meet up. Is this a tail-inclusive event?
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Tail or no tail, it doesn't matter. We're out swim and have fun. I will be bringing mine, and I'm sure others will too.

Kalani, if I come I'll probably bring a fabric tail or the silicone/neoprene one I made last year for someone to use.

Haha wonderful, fabric tail squad! I'll have touch mine up a little
    formerly known as Kalani

Wow I misunderstood. I thought you were going to be tail-less. I was offering for you! Haha. I'll definitely be bringing my Mernation.

Oh wow haha Well I'll be excited to see it!
    formerly known as Kalani

After doing some biking around, it looks like Fort Ward Park is our most likely spot. The park has clear water, low wave action, bathrooms, and running water (I'm going to bring a hose so we can rinse the salt and sand off after swimming). The beaches, however, are like most beaches on Puget Sound: gravel.

Name:  SUNP0011.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  537.4 KBName:  SUNP0006 (2).JPG
Views: 150
Size:  585.5 KBName:  SUNP0013 (2).JPG
Views: 114
Size:  449.5 KB

Also, apparently no one on Bainbridge Island swims outside. I went to the tourism office to ask what the best swim spots are, and the lady there looked at me like I was crazy. She was just "uh, you know it's cold, right?"

Alright guys, less than a week to go! Thankfully, the weather prediction is looking good for Sunday.
    Few little announcements. For transportation, I called up the island taxi company and they have pretty reasonable rates. All the taxis are minivan-style, so it should only take one or two to get the entire group to Fort Ward. If it took two taxis, total cost (round trip) comes to around $100. Split that up among 10 of us (for example), and it's only $10 a person. It be really great is everyone could bring a little cash to help with the fare.
    For lunch and dinner, it really isn't feasible for us to all go to a restaurant together (this would require reservations and such for a group), but Winslow has lots of small food places near the ferry landing. There's a bakery, pizza, and a grocery store with take-away food options.
    See you all Sunday!

I'd absolutely love to go, but won't be in washington until a few days after. If there is anything else like this going on this summer, I'd love to go!
    When anxious, uneasy, and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and it drowns them out with its great wide sounds, it cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused.

Alright everybody, final announcement before the event!

Don't forget Boarding begins at 8:30 am, and the ship departs at 9:30 sharp.

If you are meeting us on Bainbridge, the ship will be landing around noon at Waterfront Park, which is just to the west of the Washington State Ferry dock.

If anyone needs to contact me, please call or text my cell phone at 425-737-4450. I cannot check Facebook or Mernetwork once I leave home.

See you all there!

How did it go? Pics??
    Follow me as I start my journey to become Mermaid Bjossa...
    http://becomingbjossa.blogspot.com/

Yep, we did manage to get a few pictures. Not as many as we would've liked, since the tide was (waaaay) out, and we sort of ran out of time. (it was so hot we mostly sat in the shade because we didn't feel like struggling into tails)

Myself and Theobromine ended up being the only people there in tail.

Name:  ^2DD8E137A7A980AF55A9C6300D9DCF5A7924C6299C884E432F^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  793.0 KB
    Name:  ^4B3FDCBBE13481E353F59289647338BD0AABDB639B4296B891^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  779.3 KB

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Your armor!!! <333 I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk