Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well sh*t.

Well sh*t.

This is why we do test runs of our materials.

I'm going to be putting a Finis Competitor inside my fluke so I decided to test my silicone on all parts of the monofin it will come into contact with. Fiberglass blade? Good. Coated rubber bits of the ridges that connect to the foot pocket? Good. Uncoated rubber bits along the edge, and the footpocket itself? NO BUENO! Goopy silicone sadness.

Anyone out there got a solution for this? The rubber edge bit is just to keep it from being sharp, so I can pull that off and sand the end. The foot pocket though... that's going to be a problem. Is there a sealant I can use? Maybe brush on some fiberglass (is that a thing you can do?) like what's on the ridges?

::

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    well, you shouldn't be adhering your foot pockets to the silicone at all. You can cover it in plastic wrap or masking tape probably, just to keep it separate from the silicone. It can be in contact after it cures.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on attaching the foot pockets to the silicone, but there will be silicone around/touching it that will need to cure properly. I'll try the plastic wrap, thanks!

Brush on fiberglass really should only be used to fix tears in the blade, like with the v-shape issue a lot of mers run into. I'm not exactly 100% following what you are trying to do though. Are you trying to seal your monofin into your silicone tail?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG