Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Tight monofin foot pockets

I just got a Nemo wing monofin and I have yet to get them on on because my feet are too wide. I am going to try the lube idea too. Putting them on really hurts the feet when it starts pulling on the foot hair.
    Would vegetable oil or soap work?

So I tried out rosemary mint lotion from avid (its what I had around to use) and it worked really well. I was able to get my feet in so much easier and in fact the fastest I've ever got my tail on.
    Mermaid Enora

So I finally did try my monofin today. Unfortunately the foot pockets are too narrow and I only got in about 4 laps before I had to take it off because of the pain. Any suggestions? I really don't want to mail it back overseas and it is the largest they have. I never wear shoes so my feet are naturally wide compared to standard shoe fitting.

no idea what to do about that
    Mermaid Enora

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Chatfish View Post
    So I finally did try my monofin today. Unfortunately the foot pockets are too narrow and I only got in about 4 laps before I had to take it off because of the pain. Any suggestions? I really don't want to mail it back overseas and it is the largest they have. I never wear shoes so my feet are naturally wide compared to standard shoe fitting.
    Are the footpockets rubber? If so you could try heating them up and slowly stretching them.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Have you tried cramming your clodhoppers in the fin and then sitting them in a tub of hot water? You want hot water that your feet can go in, without feeling pain from the water.
    Formerly known as ireneho

You can try soaking the foot pockets in warm water to soften them a bit, then use a shoe stretcher. This device works well to get a little extra room in shoes. It would probably work on rubber, or silicone, too.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Galene you're a life saver I've been looking for something like that everywhere! I've got a pair of fairy shoes that I made a bit too small. Been trying to find a stretcher like that forever and was told they didn't exist.
    Mermaid Enora

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Shoe stretchers usual work on leather shoes (dampen the leather first with rubbing alcohol), but it might work temporarily on rubber, but the rubber will likely ease back into its original shape.

I don't want to tell you to use a hair dryer to heat the rubber because I don't want you to ruin your fin! But if you can find a similar piece of rubber, try heating it and stretching it over a chunk of wood to test it.

my shoes are fabric over leather so I think it should work
    Mermaid Enora

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Have you tried cramming your clodhoppers in the fin and then sitting them in a tub of hot water? You want hot water that your feet can go in, without feeling pain from the water.
    Ok. Now I just need to find a tub I can fit in.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Chatfish View Post
    Ok. Now I just need to find a tub I can fit in.
    Just big enough to fit your feet and fin. The rest of you can sit outside!
    Formerly known as ireneho