Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock star wigs?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Rock star wigs?

I have been trying to research wig options. Has anyone ever tried rockstar wigs? I'm looking at local stuff too but rock star I might be able to use in my band and as a mermaid. Most reviews I find are cosplay based just wondering if any mers tried them in water or at all.

If you're looking for purple or sea foam green, I am trying to sell mine! I have no idea about Rockstar though... Sorry.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

I was actually just looking for auburn that looks realish lol

Ah, well then, I'll just move along. :P
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Www.ardawigscanada.ca

Best wigs ever! Now in canada so no nasty brokering fees!
    If you can't stand upon the water I will meet you on the ocean floor

I've bought from the company that also owns them (Gothic and lolita wigs) and the quality has gone down recently because of a change in who they buy their wigs from, Also, I'm not sure if you're up to date on the recent stuff that went down with their company but they released a racist image for their site recently (after also saying negative things about their darker skinned customers ) so in my opinion it's best not to give your money to a company that doesn't value their customers just because they have darker skin that what fits their "aesthetic".
    Def. go with arda. I would give you a list going around for alternative places to buy wigs that're good quality but most of them are US based (or European)

Thanks for telling me momo!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Mermaid Jamie View Post
    Www.ardawigscanada.ca

Best wigs ever! Now in canada so no nasty brokering fees!
    Have you swam in their wigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    Have you swam in their wigs?
    Yes I have, which is why I recommend them. My swimming wig I created with a lace front and extra wefts. Its curly and when wet is down to my knees. Arda wiga are high quality and quite realistic.
    Heres a behind the scenes snap from a shoot. Name:  2015-02-15 20.59.46.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  203.4 KB

my avatar here is another arda wig.
    Last edited by Prairie Mermaid Jamie; 02-16-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: apparently I cannot spell lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Mermaid Jamie View Post
    Yes I have, which is why I recommend them. My swimming wig I created with a lace front and extra wefts. Its curly and when wet is down to my knees. Arda wiga are high quality and quite realistic.
    Heres a behind the scenes snap from a shoot. Name:  2015-02-15 20.59.46.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  203.4 KB

my avatar here is another arda wig.
    Excellent!!! Good to know.

I haven't used one, so I can't speak to their quality/swimmability, but I've been drooling over WigIsFashion for some time now. They have a nice range of auburns that look quite rich.

What color wig are you looking for? A lot of the shops I know cater to lolitas (so lots of pastels, and natural colors) if you want crazier, cosplay like colors Arda is the way to go.

I want actually close to my regular hair lol. Just longer. I think I might do the venus style from arda and see about the color. I want one for playing in my band and one for mermaiding

I dont like wigs that look too fake. No offence to anyone, I just find it glaringly obvious sometimes and maybe it's an adhd thing but I cant stop staring at the parts etc. lol I wanna know where these people like lady gaga and Nicki Minaj get their epic hair lol. It always looks so seamless even when you know it's a wig!

When I look at some of the adra wigs it seems like the darker colors look more realistic and the lighter colors seem obvious it's a wig. Some photography makes them look better and others dont. I just wanna look like me with slightly brighter slightly longer hair haha and if it works in the pool then I can give up this constant battle with trying to fix my real hair and just keep trying the whole tuck it under thing. It still bleaches it, but if I have wigs I like it wont matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I dont like wigs that look too fake. No offence to anyone, I just find it glaringly obvious sometimes and maybe it's an adhd thing but I cant stop staring at the parts etc. lol I wanna know where these people like lady gaga and Nicki Minaj get their epic hair lol. It always looks so seamless even when you know it's a wig!

When I look at some of the adra wigs it seems like the darker colors look more realistic and the lighter colors seem obvious it's a wig. Some photography makes them look better and others dont. I just wanna look like me with slightly brighter slightly longer hair haha and if it works in the pool then I can give up this constant battle with trying to fix my real hair and just keep trying the whole tuck it under thing. It still bleaches it, but if I have wigs I like it wont matter.
    if you're going for something like that, look for a hair supply shop (the ones in predominately black neighborhoods have the best wigs imo) some people actually make their own wigs and weaves and can be found online (my aunt makes wigs so I don't really know how to find the people who make them since she's right there lol.) (a wig like this right? )

The really seamless ones are called lace front wigs They're pricey but look soooo real! That's what is shown in Momo's video

It doesnt need to be lace front. A skin cap in the wig allows for many different parts and more natural look. My lace front cant be parted any way. The lace front in alot of the less expensive wigs is only the first few inches from the forehead so you can divide that any way. But the rest of the wig has the wefting. Wefts can be sewn into a part but its an obvious one.

The cheaper the wig the less wefting it has, less wefts mean thinner hair and more likelyhood of gaping and hair underneath showing through. I had to sew extra wefting into my swim wig to counteract the lift and gaps and mine were quite thick to start. Ive never seen any wig other the full lace cap ones that dont do that.

Ive got about 2 dozen. The best one I have was from a place in west ed. It was 170$ but incredibly realistic with a skin cap to adjust the part. Next is my arda wigs with the hyperlon fibers. Then my kanekalon wigs for alot of my cosplay. Ive had them for years and put them through hell and they all survived and can be reset heat wise if they tangle in the back of the neck really badly (any wig thats at least shoulder length will do that).

With wigs ive found its a pay for what you get kind of deal. The hazzards of ordering online.

If you find a wig you like style wise, they can be dyed. Ion fabric dye so far is the best dye ive found for wigs. I got it at an art store. It may help get the specific color your going for.

Lady gaga and niki minaj can afford to spend hundreds on wigs. Some of them are probably full lace wigs. Ugg if I had 400$ id so have one!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Artisankatie's Avatar
    I love my Arda wig (Tauriel styled for Elsa)!

BUT if you're going for your natural hair colour, ABSOLUTELY get a colour swatch first! When I got mine I went for platinum blonde and it's a full shade darker than the photo shows on my monitor (IRL it looks like 'light blonde' rather than the photo for platinum).

I found a great deal on human hair 3/4 falls. I bought two, a brown one and a more auburn red one. I haven't swam in it yet. I want to try that with a less expensive wig, but I adore how the real hair looks and can be styled. I have used them so much, including a non-swimming mermaid shoot I just did a few weeks ago. My only problem is blending the front of my hair with it since my hair is so thin naturally. I want to try a lace front, but I still don't know how to apply the lace part.

Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 1564
Size:  120.7 KBHere is me and my friend at our video shoot. I'm the one on the right with the blue wearing my 3/4 fall. That's my real hair in front.