Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: repairing a mermaid creations tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

repairing a mermaid creations tail

So I hate that we still need to use this tail, but at least few a few more months I need to get a little more use out of it.

On the weekend an entire seam ripped open. The tail is so thick you wouldn't think, but the seams are so sloppy I thought I'd show my progress at attempting to repair it.

so this is the hole:

It's about two fingers wide

I started by using clear stretchy line to sew it up. it's not too noticeable and the stretch insures that it wont snap (hopefully) as people pull it on. I've used this method before for other repair jobs and it seems to work

then I turned it inside out

I started covering the whole area I sewed and part of the seam with the clear silicone caulking that smoothon recommends for use with dragon skin. (since I can't get actual dragonskin here, and with it being this old we know it wont bond well) this is what they suggested. So that's what I started with.

then I applied some powermesh, and another coat of silicone on the inside. To give extra reinforcement (thanks Pearlie for the mesh!)

It's curing now, tomorrow I'll turn it back inside right and see what it looks like and post photos.

I want to overhaul this tail but I am limited by 1) can't get dragonskin (plus I honestly dont have the space/weather to cure it) and 2) the outside of this tail is perma wet which new silicone wont bond to (I've already patch tested areas of it and tried pulling off pieces of the perma wet)

it's so see through you can see mold right through it. I can't get the mold out because it's in between the separating layers of the silicone.

this is what happens over time to new silicone I tried putting over top (after peeling off some of the perma wet)

this thing is a MESS

I can't get this mold out

^ FYI this is what clear silicone looks like and how it yellows overtime. it also doesnt work like a blended waist at all, just looks white! lol

another spot I tried to patch test repairing with new coloured silicone, see the white spot. lol it just peeled off.

So I'll keep it updated as I keep working on it, but totally open to suggestions!

unedited pic of mermaid mutiny wearing it you can see how messed up the back of it is

you can see the hole right there under her resting elbow

[img][/img]

if you look at the ankle area you can see her neoprene socks right through it

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I need to do some repairs to my MC tail too. Thank you for this.

I've always wondered just how thick it was, and now seeing the inside of it through that hole just shows that it is soooooo dang thick! Looks to be at least about 1/2 inch or 1.5 cm thick. Is that right? I really wish you luck and trying to repair it.

yeah it's insanely thick it makes it super hard to get on and off, super heavy, and super hard to repair. it's thick because he makes the color by just pouring layers and layer of silicone but then they all cure funny.

Do you have plans to replace this tail in the future with something from Merbella or Finkfolk?

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

yes. right now the canadian dollar is tanking. it takes like 1.20$ CAD to = 1USD so I may have to wait a while because that plus shipping plus custom fees ugggh!

I just wish I could figure out a way to repaint the darn thing. I think a good paint job would help a lot. but nothing will stick to that permawet!

Sorry to hear that things are not so good. Hopefully it will get better and then things can move along in the new tail department.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Dude, I'm just sorry. I have nothing to add to this convo except that that really sucks and I'm sorry.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    This might sound really dumb and really stupid, but what about pigmented permawet? It's the only thing i can think of.
    User formerly known as "Samantha".

I'm not sure if you can pigment it from what I've researched. But it still be cycle of the same problem with peeling. Reminds me off the old mertailor createx tails. Just keep flaking

The stitching worked I'll post pics when I get home

Random suggestion: we use chemical finish stripper to remove urethane coating from cabinets. Perma wet is urethane. It turns it into a goo you can wipe/ scrape off. Normal silicone is nearly impossible to melt with chemicals since its basically glass (although it seems weird) so I don't think it will harm the silicone beneath. Maybe try a test patch and see if it removes the perma wet? Then clean with rubbing alcohol and try silicone paint?? *shrug* seems like a lot of work though.

Just letting you know that thankfully the patch on the inside held up perfectly. the silicone bonded just fine with the silicone on the inside of the tail, but not the outside. which isn't surprising since the inside doesnt have permawet and the outside does.

I thought you should know, this is what the tail looked like while it was new... As you can see many of my issues arent a case of wear and tear, but issues that have been their all along. (just because that is often used as an excuse)

Posted July 2012 from his page. Which was only a few months before other mermaids had their tails constructed, not a few years as previously suggested.

I am looking into what mermaid mechanic suggested. We have a friend who works for Pax who may be able to do some repairs so we'll see!