So I hate that we still need to use this tail, but at least few a few more months I need to get a little more use out of it.

On the weekend an entire seam ripped open. The tail is so thick you wouldn't think, but the seams are so sloppy I thought I'd show my progress at attempting to repair it.

so this is the hole:

It's about two fingers wide

I started by using clear stretchy line to sew it up. it's not too noticeable and the stretch insures that it wont snap (hopefully) as people pull it on. I've used this method before for other repair jobs and it seems to work

then I turned it inside out

I started covering the whole area I sewed and part of the seam with the clear silicone caulking that smoothon recommends for use with dragon skin. (since I can't get actual dragonskin here, and with it being this old we know it wont bond well) this is what they suggested. So that's what I started with.

then I applied some powermesh, and another coat of silicone on the inside. To give extra reinforcement (thanks Pearlie for the mesh!)

It's curing now, tomorrow I'll turn it back inside right and see what it looks like and post photos.

I want to overhaul this tail but I am limited by 1) can't get dragonskin (plus I honestly dont have the space/weather to cure it) and 2) the outside of this tail is perma wet which new silicone wont bond to (I've already patch tested areas of it and tried pulling off pieces of the perma wet)

it's so see through you can see mold right through it. I can't get the mold out because it's in between the separating layers of the silicone.

this is what happens over time to new silicone I tried putting over top (after peeling off some of the perma wet)

this thing is a MESS

I can't get this mold out

^ FYI this is what clear silicone looks like and how it yellows overtime. it also doesnt work like a blended waist at all, just looks white! lol

another spot I tried to patch test repairing with new coloured silicone, see the white spot. lol it just peeled off.

So I'll keep it updated as I keep working on it, but totally open to suggestions!