Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚠ Tailmaker BLACKLIST ⚠

Exclamation ⚠ Tailmaker BLACKLIST ⚠

⚠ Tailmaker Blacklist

Here are sellers who are BLACKLISTED, who have scammed people and/or taken their money with no refund and no product. Avoid these sellers!

Adam Martyn aka Fantasea Creatures aka Carpathain Creations
    Adam took full payments for silicone tails ranging from $1,500 to $2,500 from at least 10 people (including Hannah Fraser and Melissa Dawn) and did not deliver the tails or refunds. He then fled the country making it pretty much impossible for legal action be taken, stealing at least $20,000 from his customers.

Amanda Avery aka Merberry Tails aka FINSPO Mermaid Tails
    Amanda originally sold neoprene and tin cure latex tails under the name Merberry Tails. According to many customers, the majority of these tails were very low quality and would fall apart after only a few uses. In 2013 customers started coming forward, that they had not received a tail or a refund. Some had waited a year at that point.
    Amanda dropped off the internet, and re emerged as FINSPO Mermaid Tails in the fall of 2014, making latex and silicone tails. According to the customers the silicone tails were very low quality and were not able to get a refund for the sub-par products. She also never refunded the customers from her Merberry Tails business, and did not return tail(s) sent in from previous customers for repairs. It's estimated that she owes around $2,700 in refunds and goods.

Jesse Caldwell aka Mermaid Creations LLC
    Jesse ran a successful company for a few years, but in 2014 took orders for a number of full silicone tails and that he has not produced tails or full refunds for. Several customers got partial refunds but are still missing hundreds of dollars from the amount they are owed in return. He has since stopped answering all contacts from those customers. It's estimated Jesse owes various customers over $6,800 in refunds and/or goods.

Kanti Kane aka Kanti Krafts
    Kanti stole at minimum $5,500 from members of the mermaid community. She took full payments for at least 3 full silicone tails and partial payments from others, and $1,000 worth of raffle ticket sales and did not deliver the tails or the prizes for the raffle. People have made many attempts at contacting her or tracking her down for refunds, but she has not responded or been found. She has since disappeared online. Looking more into her online shops and complaints, she has scammed many others in sales over various social media and online shops. She had an indiegogo campaign for her horns as well, which others contributed and did not receive their perks (for additional hundreds worth of stolen money) as well as taking orders for costume horns, masks, and other costume pieces and never providing products or refunds.

Stevi/Stephanie Summers aka FishButts (previously known as Mermaid Parties) aka Designs By Jane Jones
    Stevi previously ran well liked tailmaking company, but in the end took more orders than she could handle, and did not provide tails or refunds. She stole at least $7,500 from her customers, then dropped off of the internet. She has since reappeared as "Designs by Jane Jones" (on some social networking sites as "Designs by Jane") selling fabric goods (fabric tails, mermaid leggings, bikinis) but has yet to refund any of the stolen money.

Tailmakers are blacklisted if they take orders and do not produce tails or refunds within a year and a half (unless agreed upon by client and tail maker). A tailmaker will be removed from this list if and when they return all owed money to their customers and/or deliver the tails owed to said customers.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I suggest you add "Aurore La Sirène" on this list.

Facebook link : https://www.facebook.com/AuroreLaSireneBleu?fref=ts

Two members here got shitty products from her with no chance to get a full refund

I'll provide with whatever more info you could need for putting her on the list.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Would it be an idea to not only blacklist scammers and people who don't deliver, but also those who make a big secret out of their inferior materials in the hopes no one catches on that they are actually dangerous?
    (anti-mold caulk etc)

Buyers should be aware if such materials are used. And they shouldn't be used for tails at all.
    I consider a liver or kidney damage worse than scammed money.

I don't really believe it's entirely necessary, as people who've been victims to these scams can share their stories and evidence here in this thread (and many have already shared their stories elsewhere on the forums as well), but would it help to include links to peoples posts/comments/etc., under each blacklisted maker's name to reviews and evidence posted by clients/victim? It might help people who are new to MerNetwork, or new to Mermaiding in general, find testimony regarding people's experiences with these makers a bit quicker without having to do a whole lot of digging.

Also, was Adam Martyn the guy who was pricing his tails at, like, $15,000 apiece or something like that? I remember there being a thread about something like that back when I first joined MerNetwork but I can't for the life of me find it again. Not sure if that was Adam or not.

::EDIT::

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    Would it be an idea to not only blacklist scammers and people who don't deliver, but also those who make a big secret out of their inferior materials in the hopes no one catches on that they are actually dangerous?
    (anti-mold caulk etc)

Buyers should be aware if such materials are used. And they shouldn't be used for tails at all.

I definitely agree with this-- it could definitely help people if a maker is known for using inferior or hazardous materials on their tails (like Aurore la Sirene with her shattering monofins)

::EDIT 2, AQUATIC BOOGALOO::

I have literally no idea why my post keeps splitting Echidna's post into two separate quotes, but no matter how many times I edit it it keeps reverting back that way. Guess it's stayin' like that. :T
    Last edited by Starfrit; 03-01-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Noooo clue why it split Echidna's post into two separate quotes...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    (anti-mold caulk etc)

Agreed. Having a blacklist for tailmakers that steal money from clients is a good idea, but tailmakers who risk their clients health or delivers a substandard product needs to be added.

Maybe a greylist (or whatever colour you like honestly) if you didn't want to add them to a blacklist so you can differentiate between the two.
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tieri View Post
    I don't really believe it's entirely necessary, as people who've been victims to these scams can share their stories and evidence here in this thread (and many have already shared their stories elsewhere on the forums as well), but would it help to include links to peoples posts/comments/etc., under each blacklisted maker's name to reviews and evidence posted by clients/victim? It might help people who are new to MerNetwork, or new to Mermaiding in general, find testimony regarding people's experiences with these makers a bit quicker without having to do a whole lot of digging.

Also, was Adam Martyn the guy who was pricing his tails at, like, $15,000 apiece or something like that? I remember there being a thread about something like that back when I first joined MerNetwork but I can't for the life of me find it again. Not sure if that was Adam or not.

I think the idea of a blacklist is so that people who aren't members or part of the community can just check out where they should and shouldn't be spending their money. Like if Iona links it to the buying tails page, it just gives people a heads up so they aren't buying subpar products or spending money on something that doesn't exist
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Merley's Avatar
    Add Merley on Facebook
    I think companies like Aurore le Sirene, Mermaids R Us, Merberry or anyone else who tries to mislead people about the quality and material of their tails, but still deliever a tail, albeit shitty and no where near as advertised, should be listed in a thread under 'buyer beware', since I don't think getting a crappy tail is as bad as getting no tail at all...slightly.
    User formerly known as "Waikiki Mermaid".

If you look at the tailmakers page there's a link to explanations of materials page that gives a warning about tin cure/caulking products. Neoprin is on that list too, with acrylic monofins soon to be added (will also be added to Aurore's tail types on the tailmakers page). Polycarbonate will be added as well. My goal is to educate people so they can make an informed decision.

With all that info I don't think a separate list is needed. I'll be sure to add more text saying to check the materials page as a matter of health and safety. Also a link to the tailmakers discussion section of the forum so people can look for themselves. Fyi Finspo tails (merberry) is now selling their latex tails as dry tails only, which is good.

But in the end If people don't look over the information that is laid out for them, IMO that is on them. I'll update here when I've had time to update the information on those pages further.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    If you look at the tailmakers page there's a link to explanations of materials page that gives a warning about tin cure/caulking products. Neoprin is on that list too, with acrylic monofins soon to be added (will also be added to Aurore's tail types on the tailmakers page). Polycarbonate will be added as well. My goal is to educate people so they can make an informed decision.

With all that info I don't think a separate list is needed. I'll be sure to add more text saying to check the materials page as a matter of health and safety. Also a link to the tailmakers discussion section of the forum so people can look for themselves. Fyi Finspo tails (merberry) is now selling their latex tails as dry tails only, which is good.

But in the end If people don't look over the information that is laid out for them, IMO that is on them. I'll update here when I've had time to update the information on those pages further.
    Why is polycarbonate being added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does snap. When mine went I was lucky I noticed it cracking a couple of days before and reinforced it with gorilla tape. It still broke, but at least the sharp parts were covered and I didn't slice my feet open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it depends on thickness and how it's made personally. I've put mine through the ringer and it hasn't broken. My first sheet broke only because my dad dropped me in the water off the boat fluke first so the water pressures snapped it. That was just being stupid on our parts

Quote Originally Posted by Merley View Post
    I think companies like Aurore le Sirene, Mermaids R Us, Merberry or anyone else who tries to mislead people about the quality and material of their tails, but still deliever a tail, albeit shitty and no where near as advertised, should be listed in a thread under 'buyer beware', since I don't think getting a crappy tail is as bad as getting no tail at all...slightly.
    There's getting a tail that is "crappy" ie you get what you pay for and then there are situations like Yulia and Jade where you get a crappy, dangerous, unswimmable tail.

Would you rather get no tail or get a tail that turns out to be so bad for your health that you end up in the hospital?
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

I think a greylist is needed too, because while the bad materials is listed in the materials page, a lot of tailmakers ( like Aurore le Sirene) aren't listing these materials as things they use. Instead they just say "made with latex with handmade monofin" or something like that and people assume that it is real latex and not caulking and end up getting shoddy caulking tails and monofins that shatter.

That's why the materials they use to make the tails are listed under their name on the tailmaker page. As I said the acrylic monofin will be added to that on her listing.

All the same I will talk over a greylist over with the other admin. I can see how it could be abused or get out of control- it could be a fine line to walk- but we will talk about it and consider it since several are voicing that they think it would be a good idea.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Updated the pages and materials as I said I would, and added an extra bit to Aurore's listing so people will be sure to check the materials page for important safety info.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Thanks for everything you added Iona! I kinda feel like this thread should be locked though. I could see it becoming an issue with people filling it up with complaints and then people missing the actual important first post. Maybe people can just keep posting in the threads and you could have like a 3 strikes your out kinda rule? Or even if it's just more than 1? Or a certain money threshold? I was thinking how on the tail maker list we have set standards they have to meet to get on it. So maybe this could be the same. I think most of the info is out there and some people are still willing to have a crappy tail than no tail at all too like it was mentioned above.

I'm pretty much brand new to the community,so I really appreciate this thread being here. I was a little shocked to see Kanti Kane on the list,but then again I've never actually seen ANY visual proof of her ever having completed a single tail. She has all these how-tos,YouTube tutorials and info in regards to making tails which is great,but I sat there scratching my head thinking...."So...do we get to see the finished product,or? where the hell's the finished tail??"...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    Polycarbonate is what some high end monofins are made out of... It works really well if you know how to use the material.

Member Chesapeake Pod Tom Cardwell's Avatar
    OMG Kanti Kane.......
    I bought pair of hooves shoes and part of her indiegogo campaign for her horns. I'm out $425.
    I knew she was at the point of burning out, I hoped I'd get my order for hooves in before she crashed but nope.
    It was extra mad money at the time and I knew there was a big risk of losing it.
    Fortunately I got my hooves shoes from Chaos Costumes a year and a half later that replicated her hooves.

I could see if she was unemployed and live with her parents and one of them had a catastrophic illness, that could be devastating.