Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally! Ringling Bros.' Circus Eliminating Elephant Acts!

Finally! Ringling Bros.' Circus Eliminating Elephant Acts!

I know this doesn't have anything to do with ocean conservation itself, but I feel like this is a big step forward towards ending animals used as entertainment. Here is a link to the article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ants/24423553/
    I don't see why though that they will end them in 2018 and not sooner, but I guess you could say it's better than nothing (trying to stay on the optimistic side here). I've read terrible stories about the treatment of elephants such as the hanging of Murderous Mary (I've never done it, but looking her up in the Google search engine is probably not a good idea considering there are some disturbing images of the event that may pop up. If you're interested in reading about that though, then search for the story on http://themoonlitroad.com/).
    So hearing about this news has really made my day. I also hope Sea World hears about this as well.
    Has anyone gone to any of their shows in the past (the Ringling Bros.' Circus)? I'm curious of how you thought of it. My parents took me to see it when I was like 3 or 4, but I barely remember a thing.

This led me to another circus abuse story - there is an endangered bear in Peru that was rescued from a circus after they tried to make her "safe" by cutting off her claws and breaking her teeth out. None of the local zoos will take her because she's lost her fur, so ADI is collecting donations to bring her to a sanctuary in Colorado. If you want to help, you can donate at http://www.ad-international.org/adi_home/
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley

Quote Originally Posted by SweeteSiren View Post
    This led me to another circus abuse story - there is an endangered bear in Peru that was rescued from a circus after they tried to make her "safe" by cutting off her claws and breaking her teeth out. None of the local zoos will take her because she's lost her fur, so ADI is collecting donations to bring her to a sanctuary in Colorado. If you want to help, you can donate at http://www.ad-international.org/adi_home/
    That's so sad! Poor thing! and why does she not have any fur?

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidShelly View Post
    That's so sad! Poor thing! and why does she not have any fur?
    It says that because of the trauma and stress of what happened to her, she lost her fur, just like a human can lose their hair.
    I really wish I didn't click the link. I bawled my eyes out a paragraph in. (If you couldn't tell, I am EXTREMELY sensitive) luckily my dog tried to comfort me. :')
    Dan/Danny || 17 || they/them

(Avatar by me (@red.lion.art))

I didn't read it because I knew I'd be sad too. Those are such beautiful bears! Bears are actually one of my favorite animals, especially black ones.

Shelly, you're 100% right, it was heart-breaking to read about her. The folks on Mernetwork are all fantastic, and we have so many causes we're passionate about, so I felt bad about posting something that was asking for donations; but with this one I just felt like if I didn't try to help I would be as guilty as the people who hurt her. The group trying to rescue her went on and on about how sweet she is - I'm pretty sure if I'd been treated the way she has, I wouldn't be very sweet to people.

And Cahdla, that's so sweet! Dogs are some of the best people I know.
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley

SweeteSiren- No, I think it's great that you did that! I'm going to try to donate tomorrow and am going to ask if my mom would like to donate too. That's amazing about how sweet she is. Needless to say, if I was in her shoes, I'd be on a freak'n killing spree!
    Cahdla- that's so sweet! An hour before you posted, my dog was just barking at me until I played with him. Cuties.