Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Underwater Camera and Video with good quality

Recommended Underwater Camera and Video with good quality

Hi, I am after recommendations for an underwater camera and video with good quality under $750US

I'm based in the southern hemisphere I need something that is available worldwide.

Thank you
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is a splash 🌊 ~ What do you choose - Shallow or Deep? Make an impact today 💕

I'm in the same boat! I'm getting PADI certified this summer and I want to have a relatively affordable camera that will give me great pictures!
    I've had people recommend the GoPro. It seems pretty decent, but I've never used one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHn988H2S-E

http://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear...sPhGVjMPxL1.97

It looks good however, there is also an Olympus underwater camera. Its hard to choose. I would like to be able to get a handle extension for the camera as well that is okay to be submerged as I would do some filming solo.

Thank you Morganna, very interesting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is a splash 🌊 ~ What do you choose - Shallow or Deep? Make an impact today 💕

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Ive got Sony cybershot Exmore R waterproof camera. I had the earlier version for 5 years before it crapped out on me. Just got the new one. You need a good memory card for it but often it gets better quality footage than our gopro hero 3+. it takes photos and video at the same time. Nice long battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Ive got Sony cybershot Exmore R waterproof camera. I had the earlier version for 5 years before it crapped out on me. Just got the new one. You need a good memory card for it but often it gets better quality footage than our gopro hero 3+. it takes photos and video at the same time. Nice long battery life.
    Do you know how many feet down you can go with it?
    I'm having issues finding that exact one... I also such at shopping online though. lol

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I just want to add that battery life is important. I have heard from a variety of people who own gopro's that yes the video quality is excellent and that the battery is good to start with but quickly the battery life of a gopro battery soon goes down quickly. Like Raina said, if a camera can get as good of quality in pictures and video and have excellent battery life go with her recommendation.

I personally have a Nikon AW100, the first model in their underwater series. Good camera for underwater photos and video. Definitely not excellent quality but the battery lasts for a good long day. My two cents.

33ft/10m

it does better photos than the gopro. Gopro photos are always blurry. ones with this are better. Heres a few examples:

Go Pro Photos:

Go pro Stills:

Sony Photos:

Sony Stills:

Sony Video:

Gopro Hero 3+ video

As you can see now a huge difference. But there's about 200-300$ between the two types of cameras lol. The gopro does have a longer battery charge but unless you get a newer version you have to buy the LCD for the back so you can see. Gopro seems to take great above water shots, but below unless you can keep it perfectly still (darn near impossible) it's hard to get photos. You do better to take stills from films.

In both cases the more light the better.

I have a gear pro, it's like a go pro except cheaper. I don't have any photos or video with it yet since I haven't taken it for a swim yet, but here are a few videos I could find on youtube.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    I own the Olympus TG-850 Tough.

I am not a pro photographer, but to make amateur underwater videos I find it does great:

Thank you everyone, I am so appreciative. Its easy to walk into a camera store and they'll tell you that everyone of their cameras are amazing especially with no previous experience or knowledge with underwater camera and videos, it makes it easier to ask with those whom have experience.

Thank you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love my GoPro Hero! I've had it for a little more than a month, and the only negative thing I can say is that sometimes pics come out pretty blurry. Other times, pictures come out great- the photo setting is just really finicky LOL! Usually for pictures, I just take video and use the GoPro Studio program to get stills. I've been able to get lots of awesome photos from the videos!

This is from Amanda who used GoPro Hero3 Black Edition, its amazing!

I know which video/camera I am using

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys you should check out watershot housings on instagram! They're high quality cases for iphones, samsung galaxys, etc. Takes super high quality photos! I think videos too!
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

I use my iPad with a waterproof housing, and it works fairly well.

Video still
    Name:  1960862_1580053845574041_449986098404863274_o.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  61.1 KB

Video

Because I'm usually by myself filming and the iPad doesn't have a timer, I don't have any attempts at actual photos.
    Last edited by Princess Pearl; 03-20-2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Gah! Giant photo!

Hey auroraspirit, do you already have a fairly nice digital camera?

Most of the big camera companies like Nikon Olympus & Canon make underwater cases for many of their camera models. Examples

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...derwater_photo

http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/acce...-housings.html

Also, Ikelite makes underwater housings for hundreds of camera models http://www.ikelite.com/

Even if your camera is older and the company doesn't list a housing on its site any more, you could check eBay or trademe.co.nz. I got an underwater case for my Canon PowerShot camera on eBay for $120.

Bag housings create a lot of the same blur issues because the camera struggles to focus through the bag. I've tried about 5 diff bags now with both point and shoot and DSLR. Only 1 per every 100 photo works in terms of focus.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by auroraspirit View Post
    This is from Amanda who used GoPro Hero3 Black Edition, its amazing!

I know which video/camera I am using

This is actually a video I took of my mermaid student Amanda. I will mention that I use GoPro Studio for editing my videos and would say that you should read up on tips to enhance your footage such as - upping the contrast, correcting the white balance, up the saturation and sharpness of your videos. Also adding a stabilising fix to your videos will help if you have slightly shaky shots!
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Thanks Melanie, I might give it further thought about the GoPro as I need a video/camera that can take quality video and camera stills without compromising.

Thank you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I'm posting this info in two threads but can't seem to find the other one but the Olympus TG3 is a waterproof camera that also comes with a housing - its what my partner david uses for work and for our U/W shoots, its amazing quality video and pictures, plus the fact that its waterproof itself means that if the housing leaks - the camera will still be alright! It has saved him 3 new cameras in the past year ! Would highly recommend this !
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Here is a video I put together of shots David took while diving at the Phi Phi, I really love this camera !

Last edited by Mermaid Melanie; 03-25-2015 at 04:47 AM. Reason: embedding video