Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Underwater Camera and Video with good quality

Wow Melanie, that Olympus TG3 looks amazing, so crisp, looking into investing into that camera sure, I think the TG3 was actually on my recommended list from a camera store, really happy to see the quality. Thank you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is a splash 🌊 ~ What do you choose - Shallow or Deep? Make an impact today 💕

Maybe this article will be helpful: http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/b...rwater-cameras
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Nice, the TG3 is on the list although the Sony RXIII is pretty tempting..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is a splash 🌊 ~ What do you choose - Shallow or Deep? Make an impact today 💕

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Melanie View Post
    adding a stabilising fix to your videos will help if you have slightly shaky shots!
    I had forgotten about this. The GoPro doesn't have in-camera image stabilization. I wonder if this accounts for some of the blurry images people have been getting?

I personally think physical image stabilization built into the camera is better than post-processing fixes using software. I looked up the specs on the Olympus TG3, and it has sensor-shift image stabilization, which I think is the best kind for underwater photography.

Thanks Apta, what is your opinion based on the Recsea Sony RX100 II and Sony RX100 III?

Thank you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Auroraspirit,

There are tradeoffs and advantages with all the cameras you've been thinking about.

Price is definitely a factor too.

Here in Toronto you can get the Olympus TG-3 for $350, while the Sony RX100 II costs around $640 and the RX100 III costs about $820- and that's before you buy a housing like the RecSea RX100 case.

In Toronto you can get a combo deal of the TG-3 camera plus Olympus housing for $630. The best deal for a Sony RX100 camera plus housing here in Toronto is an Ikelite housing plus the RX100 III camera for $1050 (that's a sale price)

So with either Sony camera, you're going to go way outside your previous budget range whatever housing you decide to get.

There's a reason for the big price difference. In terms of image quality, the Sony cameras are in a different league from the olympus TG-3. This is due mainly to the very much larger 1" image sensor that the Sony has, compared to the 1/2.3" sensor of the TG-3.

You might be interested to read up on what sensor size means for your images.

http://www.gizmag.com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

The bottom line is, a big sensor can capture images with less noise in any given amount of light, which means you will be able to shoot in lower light levels- which is important in underwater photography, but bigger sensor sizes mean bigger lenses, bulkier cameras, and higher prices.

Mermaid Melanie is right when she says the TG3 plus its housing is an ideal compact, does-it-all solution for underwater photography. It will definitely produce superior photos (and videos) over the GoPro.

What Melanie says about the Olympus TG-3 camera plus housing having double protection against leaks is important. My experience with camera housings is that soooner or later, you are going to have a "leak day" it's inevitable, and the question is- can you get it back to the surface fast enough and hold it at the right angle to avoid water damage to your camera. You don't even want to think about a Sony Rx100 camera getting nuked by a leak. The Olympus system removes this issue.

Also, for mermaid photography this isn't critical, but if you like taking photos of small underwater creatures, the Olympus TG-3 can focus down to an incredible 1 cm- allowing you to photograph the tiniest little guys. This is the only compact camera I'm aware of that can do this. By comparson, the Sony cameras focus down to 5 cm (which still allows you to take pictures of pretty small creatures)

There's no question the RX100 cameras will produce better images- if you're looking at them enlarged. The difference will be clear if you start producing 8x10" or larger prints, or look at your photos on a big screen TV. The will be sharper and you will especially see more detail in shadowy areas and highlights will be less washed out. On the internet, this is probably not so important.

Were you thinking of springing for one of the RX100 cameras over the TG-3?

I like the dpreview reviews of cemeras. you might find these links instructive

http://www.dpreview.com/products/oly...mpacts/oly_tg3

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...t-dsc-rx100-m2

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...t-dsc-rx100-m3

If I had to choose between the RX100 II and the RX100 III, I personally would spend the $200 more for the RX100 III. This is for 2 reasons:
    1. I've found that having a wider angle is nice in underwater photography, and the RX100 III has a 24 equivalent wide angle compared to 28 Equiv. on the RX100 II
    2. The lens on the RX100 III is brighter at telephoto focal lengths (a fancy way of saying, as you zoom in on telephoto on the RX100 II, your images will get dimmer, while they won't on the RX100 III)

Note that while to Olympus TG-3 has a nice, wide 25 equivalent wide angle, it doe have the same problem the RX100 II has, where images get dimmer fast as you zoom in on telephoto.

The bottom line: the RX100 III camera will produce superior images for a much higher price, and greater risk to the camera from leaks, and you'll especially be able to capture good images in lower light levels . . . but as mermaid Melanie says, there's a lot to be said for the convenience and does-it-all nature of the TG-3 , and especally it's security against leaks.

My bottom line: I've tested several of the small, tough cameras like the olympus, the fuji XP50 & 70, and the Pentax Wg-1, and none of them produce the image quality that my Canon camera does, either above water, or underwater in a housing. I'm sure the Sony camera will poduce even better pictures. I personally don't mind the leak risk, but YMMV. OTOH, there's nothing like a tiny little camera that will fit in a shirt pocket that you can use underwater. Also, my camera is not shockproof, and I've already had to fix it once when it fell off a table. My dad & brother have the fuji XP70- and that camera has survived all kinds of abuse, including dropping off a table.

Postscript: I suppose it's not entirely true that on the internet you can't see the difference of a high image quality. Frederic Buyle is a freediving photographer who uses a Canon 5D Mk 2 camera in a housing, and produces shots like these, in natural light.

Name:  buyle_requin_blanc1.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  284.4 KB Name:  IMG_9027.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  120.9 KB

Also, the mernetwork website can't handle this photo, but if you click here

https://cdn.deeperblue.com/wp-conten...chalot2013.jpg

You'll see a stunning photo of a cachalot.

If I can give you a hug, I certainly will! That was so informative and I am so happy. I've been busting to find a review that has a comparison between the two sony Sony cameras! I think I can start off basic with the Olympus and then eventually lead towards the Sony once I start going professionally, as you say you don't want to risk the Sony camera getting water in, its like a house of horrors lol.

The olympus would be good in my opinion.

Thanks Apta, I'm resolved in my decision now and I know what camera I am going to purchase.

Many thank you's!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Great post Apta - really informative !
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Bag housings create a lot of the same blur issues because the camera struggles to focus through the bag. I've tried about 5 diff bags now with both point and shoot and DSLR. Only 1 per every 100 photo works in terms of focus.
    Just a quick note: Bags are OK if you're just going to stick it under the surface to take pictures, but never to any depth. One should never use those bag housings for underwater photography even at 1 or 2 metres, whether they have a glass plate for the lens or not.

One of the other functions of a solid camera housing is to protect the camera from pressure.

With a bag housing the water pressure squeezes the camera, and the reason the camera has trouble focusing at depth is pressure distorting the camera. Too much pressure can also damage the camera, depending on how strong the camera's body is.

One must especially avoid using a bag with your phone. They don't handle pressure well. Get a solid underwater case for your phone for taking pictures.

I have been using for a long time PowerLead Gapo G050 waterproof camera. I am very pleased with it and advise everyone. BTW, it's not so expensive. The quality of the photos is great.
    He who will not economize will have to agonize.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuru View Post
    I have been using for a long time PowerLead Gapo G050 waterproof camera. I am very pleased with it and advise everyone. BTW, it's not so expensive. The quality of the photos is great.
    Hi Zuru,

Just thought I would add a note here to compliment the review you linmked to on "Waterproof Cameras Under $200"

The Fujifilm VP90 and the XP120 are great cameras that have the new back-illuminated sensors that work better in low light, they have unparalleled depth resistance, and they cost less than $180.

Here is a great review of compact cameras that offer underwater housings. There are a few amazing ones that fit your budget. Personally I would highly recommend the canon g7x II it has everything you need to take great photos, videos from the start and enough power under the hood to grow. I started with the Canon G8 years and years ago and one of the images I took with it is still my best seller.

Check out the article and good hunting

https://www.backscatter.com/reviews/...ompact-Cameras