Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP Rates for a wedding

Exclamation HELP Rates for a wedding

I recently got an inqury to work at a wedding this January but I'm not entirely sure what my rates would be for this event, because it is a lot longer then any of my other gigs (so far I've only done kids parties). I'm extremely excited because it will hopefully be the first of several varied events for me but I want to make sure that they aren't getting ripped off and neither am I... any suggestions on price?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    I am no expert on rates for wedding, but if it were me, I would take into considerations 3 factors:
    1- The total time they want me there and doing what; posing for pics - cheap; swimming, entertaining children - not so cheap
    2- The numbers of guests and the catering - the more guests they have, the more money they are spending, the more they can afford to pay me.
    3- The place where it is hold - a private house with pool - cheap; a big venue with a big pool, or several pools - not so cheap

I once read that a belly dancer working for a wedding should ask at least $300 for 30 minutes of their time (an average of $100-$150 for 15 minutes). I am unsure how professional mermaids value their minutes, maybe Raina can help with that.

I'm with you, I've only done children's parties. I totally agree with Talia! Lots of different things should play a part on your decision on what to charge. Personally, I have a template type thing.

It's something like this (I'm actually at school so I don't have it on me, sorry)

First ___ hrs = $____
    Each additional hour (I round up) = $____
    Wet show time (swimming etc) ($___/hr) = $___
    Souvenirs/Gifts for children = $____ each (I bought a bunch of cheap things off of Oriental Trading and some cheap shells)
    Special Requests (I have a separate sheet listing them) = _____
    Area Charge: $_____ (Lake/Beach: $XX, Pool: $XX, Other: $XX - Just make sure you have a reason why you charge different prices for different places. I say Lakes cost more because it is harder to swim in the waves, etc. A pool is however expensive because I have to take care to clean my tail b/c of the chlorine.

I do it this way for a couple of reasons:
    1) When they ask "Why that much?" or "Can I have a discount because..." (because they ALWAYS do! lol) you can pull out a pre-printed sheet with set prices and their specific party and show them why their party is what you are charging them!
    2.) It works so that if you do two similar parties, you charge similar amounts. I get A LOT of word of mouth in my area, and I believe there would be problems if I charged two drastically different prices for different parties.

For my Bellydance shows I charge $225 for about 20 min. It will def. depend on how long they want you. My kids parties are a bit more than just a basic swim or appearance, but I do charge and extra $75 for added 30 min. I also charge a travel fee if its more than 30 min away.

For me I was thinking about doing 2,000 for 4h give or take- since I have a huge tank to set up- which will cost 500 to move within city limits- 300 to fill and drain. Rest for me with show times. Haven't done any gigs so far just getting off the ground.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I actually find weddings way less work than parties personally lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Maid Lexi View Post
    For me I was thinking about doing 2,000 for 4h give or take- since I have a huge tank to set up- which will cost 500 to move within city limits- 300 to fill and drain. Rest for me with show times. Haven't done any gigs so far just getting off the ground.
    Why is it so much just to move it? And just curious how you are filling it. I'm confused how YOU would be paying for the water... Whenever I do anything in pools or setups like that, the water comes from the establishment, so they'd be paying for it.

All they told me in the email was that they were having a themed wedding like Ripley's believe it or not and they were converting a dunk tank into a tank I could swim in and it'd be from 7pm-12am. I was thinking of telling them $250 per hour if they want me to stay in the water the whole time and maybe $150 if they want me to get out and interact with the guests? I'm not really sure because I've only really worked at kids parties and a craft event where they said "we'll pay you X amount of money if you do whatever". Does that seem reasonable?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Marissa View Post
    All they told me in the email was that they were having a themed wedding like Ripley's believe it or not and they were converting a dunk tank into a tank I could swim in and it'd be from 7pm-12am. I was thinking of telling them $250 per hour if they want me to stay in the water the whole time and maybe $150 if they want me to get out and interact with the guests? I'm not really sure because I've only really worked at kids parties and a craft event where they said "we'll pay you X amount of money if you do whatever". Does that seem reasonable?
    wow, thats a long time. Make sure it is worth your while and whatever you ask you will not say later 'damn this sucks and was not worth it'. LOL. I have learned that the hard way

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I just googled it to see how much it costs for other types of performers at weddings. Here's one of the results that had some interesting info.
    http://www.backthird.com/2014/12/how...-their-prices/

How do you think mermaiding compares to musical performances in terms of the cost breakdown? Some of the things they list in that article seem comparable for mermaids and musicians, and some of them don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Morganna View Post
    I do it this way for a couple of reasons:
    1) When they ask "Why that much?" or "Can I have a discount because..." (because they ALWAYS do! lol) you can pull out a pre-printed sheet with set prices and their specific party and show them why their party is what you are charging them!
    I hate when people do this.

Do you go to do your nails and ask for a discount? Do you ask for a discount to the caterer? The florist? The person who made your wedding dress? Why then you ask a discount off the performer? You think the performer does not eat or have bills to pay? Or do you think they do their craft just for kicks?

If the performer wants to give you a gift, fine. But don't insult them by asking for a price lesser than they deem worth of themselves.

Also, Malinghi, great link! Much of what they state seems reasonable to me: travel expenses, preparation, set up, and tiredness of performing. Hell, I don't perform and last time I went for a swim with my tail I had a harmstring injury that got me limping for 3 days. I can't imagine swimming for 5 hours in a dunk tank, which I don't think have much room to move around or stretch.

Also, Marissa, I would have them explain very clearly what they want for you. Morganna's list was great. The more they want, the more they pay.
    Last edited by Talia; 03-19-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebekah.fish's Avatar
    Add Rebekah.fish on Facebook
    I'm also interested in this because I'm not even sure how to charge for parties yet

you're gonna be there a long time and really late. Make sure you take that into consideration. But if it were me, I'd say no less than $1000
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

I guess to me I think it depends on what they want you to do. If your just going to swim/sit there for several hours that's gonna cost much less then entertaining kids and giving out treasures, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are probably going to want pictures at least. So you'll be posing and smiling for five hours. (That sounds cynical, lol)

Gem that's what we're doing and we're working for tips and face paint money so

A) we aren't gonna be there til midnight
    B) we aren't being hired for a wedding, our venue is different
    C) I said if it was me that's what I'd do. Technically, you had that set up before I jumped on.
    D) no one gets tips at a wedding (at least no wedding I've been to before)

p.s. It has been brought to my attention this comes off as upset or angry. This is not the case. I guess I'm just blunt with lists

HELP Rates for a wedding

They might get some tips. I just kind of think $1000 is high if they're just sitting in a tank and taking pictures

Idk that may also just be my frugal mindset

I don't know, Kishiko. Five hours is a lot, and she has to take many things into consideration. I was just wondering:

1- Is it a closed place (indoors) or outdoors? If it is outdoors, is it in Summer, Spring, Fall or Winter? Will it be cold to be in water?
    2- If it is outdoors, and they want her in water the whole time, how about things like hypothermia? Will the water be warm?
    3- Even if it is just posing for pictures, she needs bathroom breaks, drink and probably eat something. Also time to stretch her legs.
    4- Many people don't want performers to take tips on a wedding, as it would be putting a burden on their guests.
    5- I would definitely not work for tips for 5 hours. Half hour, yes; one probably, if it was for a charity or something. More is unnaceptable.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Either charge a flat rate or charge more for the first 3 hours and x for every hour after that. I only perform at weddings for up to 90 minutes.