Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Convincing an aquarium to mermaid

What you talking about, I love reading abstracts

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Since the Georgia aquarium currently is the largest aquarium on the planet (It is literally SO AMAZING to visit!), I would love for them to hire some mers. I'm far from professional at the moment though, along with being too young and not having my Divers license, but in a few years when hopefully I have everything in my life more sorted out, I would love to approach them about this as an option for attractions. One of the tanks is a whopping 6.3 MILLION gallons, and would be a dream-come-true to swim in!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    When I went to the Georgia aquarium a few weeki Wachi mers performed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RisingMermaid View Post
    Since the Georgia aquarium currently is the largest aquarium on the planet (It is literally SO AMAZING to visit!), I would love for them to hire some mers. I'm far from professional at the moment though, along with being too young and not having my Divers license, but in a few years when hopefully I have everything in my life more sorted out, I would love to approach them about this as an option for attractions. One of the tanks is a whopping 6.3 MILLION gallons, and would be a dream-come-true to swim in!
    They have a contract signed with weeki wachee so they go perform there certain times of the year
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    What you talking about, I love reading abstracts
    Shhh! Not gonna lie, but I like reading -some- abstracts but so many are we measured x things in x replicates and found x data and here is more x interpretation and that is why this pathway is needed to survive.

At the Georgia Aquarium they do have such a huge exhibit space in Ocean explorer that it is ideal for the performing mermaids without endangering the marine life, also consider that there are no live corals on the main viewing window where these mermaids perform. As Cora said the health of the marine life, and educational appeal is first far before entertainment vale. The Georgia Aquarium Tropical diver tank for example would be a poor candidate for mermaid shows with all the delicate corals in place. The aquarium would also be very careful about materials present in the tails you perform with as these could negatively affect the health of the animals. Tails with sequins or loose parts would NOT be ideal. I think the best scenario are aquariums with wade pools such as for rays, or similar touch pools where the mermaid would be able to interact with the guests. Finally remember that most aquariums are non-profit advertise yourself as a vital aspect from an education standpoint to attract visitors, not as profitable performance to draw the crowds. While both aspects are important, the education side will match the values and draw the appeal of the aquarium. Remember to be professional and have prior volunteer and work positions as both an educator and a mermaid.

Oh how I would love to swim at the Georgia Aquarium. I'm planning to approach them about it once I'm certified.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I'm going to talk to "smaller" aquariums when I have more experience, because I don't know if the Monterey Bay Aquarium will go for mermaids, because they're all about research and education! I love the facilities and the aquarists there! The octopus keepers are so nice!

user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Yep, this reminds me all too well of outreach I've tried with my local aquarium. I've stopped by in person and/or emailed the aquarium a few times in the past couple of years since I started mermaiding professionally, with no solid response until last week. They mentioned that mermaids don't fit in with the educational and scientific guest experience that they aim to offer...it's not even a matter of insurance or certification (I've plugged dry events as well). It's disheartening, but understandable to an extent I guess. Oh, well...depends on who's running the show.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I feel like my 'local' (and I say 'local' because it's still 3 hours away haha) should have no problem with mermaids, nor be able to make the excuse 'it's not very sciency' because a) they already have experiences where you're allowed to go swimming with the sharks, so the tank must be pretty sturdy. B) I talk to the staff when I go there and they've mentioned having the teenage mutant ninja turtles there before, and have spongebob coming these holidays. So I'm kind of just waiting to get my new tail before I make a proposition.

Even if they don't agree to let me mermaid there on my own I'm considering just asking if I can bring my tail along an pay to do the shark snorkel in that.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    When I went to the Georgia aquarium a few weeki Wachi mers performed

Woah really? I'm not surprised in the sense that its a perfect aquarium for it, but I've never seen a SINGLE advertisement for it! Ive been living just down the road from it ever since it opened and would have expected to see some kind of advertisement (even in the aquarium) that they do shows! Wow! I guess that that will (hopefully) make getting a gig there easier
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Don’t want to open a dead thread or anything, but how exactly does one go about emailing an aquarium? Is there a specific area for stuff like that? I want to do educational shows because sadly, my dream of going into cetacean zoology as a field researcher is no longer attainable (I have spine issues and can’t stand on land for over three hours at a time before bursting into tears) and mermaiding is kind of like my second chance at my passion for marine life. I want to educate kids in a fun and (relatively) unique way.

Hi Abby, there's another thread covering the issue here. This one's very informative too.

I do hope your spine problem won't get in the way, as aquariums can be very stringent if/when they bring in performers. All the best!

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?t=16336
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiko View Post
    I tried emailing the aquarium in Kansas City and never heard back Good luck though!!!!
    Your from Missouri lar u going to Kansas City Renaissance Festival

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Sent from My Shell Phone Mermaid Auquita

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    I second that.
    I got an opportunity to be a merman at the giant Aquarium of Paris. The idea was to be Claire's merman partner in her mermaid show.
    To be hired, the staff asked me to do a professional diving course so I can get a diving certificate for liability insurance and safety. So I went to see a doctor specialized in diving training to get his approval and unfortunately I didn't fit the criteria...
    I'm born deaf and I still have some precious audition left. If I engage in a diving course, it would have been very risky for my ears. I can dive and swim just like Raina but I just can't go further the levels of pros. There were deaf divers in the past but contrary to me, they didn't have anything to lose.

So that was it. I lost my biggest opportunity. But when a door closes, another one opens. I fairly believe that.

Some aquariums are open to the idea as long as you are trained for diving. If you are not, they just can't take risks.
    Awe, that's upsetting, I'm sorry you couldn't do that! I have heart problems so I'm unable to scuba dive but I'm perfectly able to swim normally. It's just that the pressure from the water will seriously harm me. Good luck!

Sent from my moto e5 go using MerNetwork mobile app
    Mermaid Mikayla

I only do it as a hobby. I don't think I could ever do it as a career. But if I had a job of my profession at one of those types of places, I could slip through that restriction. I'm sure there are underwater cameras in those tanks, and the technician has to be able to make repairs or do routine maintenance somehow....if you catch what I'm saying