Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Heard of Sun Tails?

Hey everyone! Goodness, I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while. This is Jane. We moved our manufacturing facilities and Jessica moved her family to be closer to those facilities and we're all just coming up for air after digging our way through endless boxes and packing tape. Insane. Moving is the absolute WORST. Anyway, here's an update on the fin, the new scale tails, etc.

1. The plastics company really struggled with the size of our new mold. It's huge compared to what they are used to producing and between my engineers breathing down their necks to make sure they made it right and us insisting that they didn't make it any smaller, it's taken longer than we thought to get finished. It's FINALLY DONE, and they are promising me I'll have the first batch of plastic fins to test this week. Oh my word, I hope they are right, I can't believe it is mid July! I've asked for photos of the mold so I'll have those to share soon, I hope.

2. We've had a small number of our foot pockets on the Keiki kid sized monofin have some tearing issues, especially on the back part of the heel. It looks like the factory we used skimped on some (not all) of the foot pockets by using thinner neoprene. It is HALF the thickness it was supposed to be on the ones that have torn . So we've been reworking things to make sure this doesn't happen in the future or with the bigger fin. We've changed the way the foot pockets are sewn to remove some stress from that heel area where they are pulled on and off a lot. I am getting the new samples today so we can beat the snot out of them and make sure they are up to par before we give the green light. Replacement foot pockets made out of thicker stuff are being made now for anyone who has a Keiki fin that has a torn foot pocket (if any of you have one, email us!) and then we'll have them start on the Nunui foot pockets as soon as we're certain the same manufacturing mistakes won't be made by the seamstresses. So unfortunately the wait on the foot pockets will add a few more weeks... I think we won't be shipping Nunui's until August, though the Kickstarter folks will get theirs earlier I hope. Though the delay sucks, I hope it shows that we refuse to ship a sub-par product, so when we do ship, you'll know you're getting our best.

3. The scale tails. Admittedly the manufacturing on these have taken a back seat to the fin, but we're plugging along. Our first batch of testers faded in the water so we switched manufacturing companies a few times and I think we're finally ready. I'm waiting on the latest color samples (the swatches did great, now we'll get bigger ones to make tester tails with), so I'll keep you posted on those. I will have teen/adult tail sizes in our regular sparkle tails, I'm picking them up this weekend.

If you're a Kickstarter backer, I'll be posting an update over there soon! I'm going to offer anyone who ordered a scale tail, a free sparkle tail when the fins come in to tide you over until we can make sure the scale tails are up to par.

Thanks all!
    Jessica & Jane
    www.suntails.com

Quote Originally Posted by Silva View Post
    Is there any news on what colours will be released?
    We're going to start with five styles: Dragon Tail, Aurora Borealis, Ocean Deep (or Blue Lagoon), Bali Blush, and then Sunset Orange & Lime Ricky are tied too. We'll have some final voting for choosing between the two blues and the orange & lime.

The fin colors being produced are: orange, lime, kelly green, turquoise, royal blue, lavender, purple, pink, and black. We'll add red in the next go.
    Jessica & Jane
    www.suntails.com

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidjanie View Post
    We're going to start with five styles: Dragon Tail, Aurora Borealis, Ocean Deep (or Blue Lagoon), Bali Blush, and then Sunset Orange & Lime Ricky are tied too. We'll have some final voting for choosing between the two blues and the orange & lime.

The fin colors being produced are: orange, lime, kelly green, turquoise, royal blue, lavender, purple, pink, and black. We'll add red in the next go.
    Hi! When will pictures be available of the new tails, and when WILL the new tails be available? I have 3 anxious kids begging for a mermaid tail...one being a boy who wants a black tail to go with the black shark fin he is getting (speaking of that--hope you plan on adding them down the road, when time permits). I was going to order today, but think I'll hold off if new designs will be available soon.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by cherycenicole View Post
    Hi! When will pictures be available of the new tails, and when WILL the new tails be available? I have 3 anxious kids begging for a mermaid tail...one being a boy who wants a black tail to go with the black shark fin he is getting (speaking of that--hope you plan on adding them down the road, when time permits). I was going to order today, but think I'll hold off if new designs will be available soon.
    They have it on their fb page.
    https://www.facebook.com/suntailmermaid?fref=ts
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by cherycenicole View Post
    I wish I had a hard and fast ETA for you! I'm hoping to have the new tails in August, but I'm not sure. We really want to make sure these tails are super awesome, so I'm trying not to rush even though the demand is high

I do have shark fins coming, I'm surprised they aren't here yet!
    Jessica & Jane
    www.suntails.com

I wish I had a hard and fast ETA for you! I'm hoping to have the new tails in August, but I'm not sure. We really want to make sure these tails are super awesome, so I'm trying not to rush even though the demand is high

I do have shark fins coming, I'm surprised they aren't here yet!
    Oh wow, how far you have progressed since I first posted! I am delighted and if I was liviing in the same country in which these tails were being manufactured I would love to test. I am prone to blisters horrifically, these would be pleasurable to wear over prolonged periods, thank you for inventing this Janie <3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is a splash 🌊 ~ What do you choose - Shallow or Deep? Make an impact today 💕

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Totally down for beta testing. Just don't charge your testers an arm and a leg.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssaf1sh56 View Post
    I think generally beta testers for Silicone tails only pay for materials, so somewhere upwards of $700 from what I've seen

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    That all depends on the tailmaker. And material COSTS for a silicone tail can run closer to $1k...not to mention labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssaf1sh56 View Post
    I was only planning on charging shipping
    Jessica & Jane
    www.suntails.com

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    I was only planning on charging shipping
    I'd love to test one if you need any more testers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

My brother reckons a thing that size is going to cost $200 in shipping! I told him it was coming from America not Antarctica!

Aww man I missed all of this! I would have kickstarted this if I knew about it!

The 39.95 tails you are selling right now, I take it monofin isn't included? It doesn't say one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Chatfish View Post
    The 39.95 tails you are selling right now, I take it monofin isn't included? It doesn't say one way or the other.
    It doesn't. And they are kids size.

Hey all! We finally got our white tester fins in hand, but we were super bummed to find the foot pockets we'd developed for them needed some work! So here's our new timeline and a video showing the Nunui teen/adult monofin in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ebmh5-nhI0

It looks like we might be limited to stateside testers in the US just for the timeline sake - can testers who are in USA PM us? Thanks and sorry internationals!!
    Jessica & Jane
    www.suntails.com

Nawww! Good luck with the foot pockets. I'll just have to wait and choose a color then.

I can't remember if I backed a tail or a monofin for the kickstarter. Can you msg me? Name is Irene Ho.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meronica's Avatar
    Add Meronica on Facebook
    I messaged you! (: Haven't gotten a response yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if this company will be offering adult or custom sizes for the tail skins? I really want to try the monofin, but I'm out of the size range for the actual tails.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina Suds View Post
    Does anyone know if this company will be offering adult or custom sizes for the tail skins? I really want to try the monofin, but I'm out of the size range for the actual tails.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
    Yes. They just haven't made them yet. Supposed to be ready sometime in Jan/Feb I think.