Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: "swimtails" anyone heard of em?

We took it down. This has gotten way out of hand. Honestly though we never saw her design. From now on to be safe we will post new designs here first and make sure all the merfolk are cool with it. We are truly sorry we did not intent to upset or hurt anyone

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    The only thing out of hand is how you keep making a new post for every sentence. You don't need to do that! It's not an instant messaging service and makes it very hard to follow the thread. Please, keep it all in one post when you can.

I hope you'll take my advice to heart. it's not a matter of losing a battle. It's a matter of doing right by the community. You need to change that attitude if you want things to work with people. Take a break. Refresh yourself. And come back and look at it with new eyes. You have a chance to fill a big market. You just gotta be a little more familiar with the community. perhaps look around the forum it'll help you get to know it! Good luck.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I was alerted that there was a design on instagram that was a direct ripoff of the tail I was commissioned to do. I responded. I was blocked, my comments removed, and I responded in the appropriate thread on Mernetwork. There's is no need to talk privately on the phone.

Your design looks like an experienced designer would comp after having seen Lotus Blossom's original sketch. Simply because your company name didn't have an account here until today doesn't mean you don't have access to the myriad resources here. You'd be foolish to be a tailmaker and not be here. There are plenty of people who lurk.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Okay, seems things are settling down.

Peace, everyone!

We have removed out of courtesy. We honeslty never saw her design before. We are truly sorry. Do you suggest posting our new designer tails here first to get proper feedback from the mercommunity? Thanks for the advice

Seriously call me I would like to speak with you

@swimtails

Do you even read messages??

Because you just have been told TWICE to stop making new posts for every sentence and they just keep on coming...

I'm am replying from my phone. Not sure how it works

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Are you on the Tapatalk app? If so, if you touch the post you are responding to, then select 'Quote', it will reference the post in quotes, along with your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    Are you on the Tapatalk app? If so, if you touch the post you are responding to, then select 'Quote', it will reference the post in quotes, along with your reply.
    Thanks did I do it right this time?

yeah, you got it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Swimtails View Post
    We have removed out of courtesy. We honeslty never saw her design before. We are truly sorry. Do you suggest posting our new designer tails here first to get proper feedback from the mercommunity? Thanks for the advice
    There is no need to do so if the design is truly yours, because most original designs do not resemble anything else so closely that there's going to be an uproar.

It's nice you took the design down, even if it's clearly just a reaction to Raina's compelling argument.
    But I'll have you know I don't believe you haven't seen Lotus' design previously.

I have Tarot cards, see

So the question becomes this: Are we allowed to create tails based on fish that another designer had previously done?
    Are fish copyrighted? Is it a "I did it first" mentality.?
    Ryan, I feel as though if you actually think that the question here becomes "Are we allowed to create tails based on fish someone has already done" then the entire point of this mess has flown so far over your head that the crew of the ISS just looked out the window and went "What the hell was that?"

Multiple designers and makers have all made tails based off of the same fish. We've seen this with Merbellas and Finfolk making Peacock Mantis Shrimp tails; Merbellas and Moo making lionfish tails, and I've lost count of how many people have designed and/or made tails based off of the Mandarin fish.

Nobody gives a damn whether two makers make a tail based off the same fish; it's nature, there's no copyright, yadda-yadda. You know why? Because each artist has their own interpretation of how to transfer details like this from one medium to another. If you'd bothered to read my analysis on Page 2 at all, you would have seen where I pointed out all of the very specific liberties that Finfolk chose for their Blue Tang tail to keep it true to the fish while still making it unique and their own; this included the addition of specific markings and colors that aren't present on the fish itself.

Your designer (Who I'm now intrigued about thanks to the intentionally vague distancing language you used when addressing their being "reprimanded") took ALL of these specific, unique twists to the design and ripped it off almost line. For. Line. And that's what people have a problem with.

Nobody's upset that you wanted to do a Blue Tang tail; they're upset because your designer couldn't be assed to do their flippin' job and plagiarized someone else's work. In artistic industries like this? That becomes a DANGEROUS liability for your company and people get fired INSTANTLY for that crap-- As your designer should have been.

And now, because of your employee choosing to steal someone else's design? Everything else your company produces is open to suspicion. Even if you didn't copy the Lotus design, the Blue Tang incident destroys a lot of your credibility, because to the outsider you've actively promoted stolen work once; who's to say you aren't doing it again?

If you want Swimtails to succeed, you need to learn to handle situations like this appropriately and as professionally as possible; which I personally feel you kind of dropped the ball on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tieri View Post
    and I've lost count of how many people have designed and/or made tails based off of the Mandarin fish.
    *raises hand* ooh! ooh! pick me! pick me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by Tieri View Post
    Ryan, I feel as though if you actually think that the question here becomes "Are we allowed to create tails based on fish someone has already done" then the entire point of this mess has flown so far over your head that the crew of the ISS just looked out the window and went "What the hell was that?"

Multiple designers and makers have all made tails based off of the same fish. We've seen this with Merbellas and Finfolk making Peacock Mantis Shrimp tails; Merbellas and Moo making lionfish tails, and I've lost count of how many people have designed and/or made tails based off of the Mandarin fish.

Nobody gives a damn whether two makers make a tail based off the same fish; it's nature, there's no copyright, yadda-yadda. You know why? Because each artist has their own interpretation of how to transfer details like this from one medium to another. If you'd bothered to read my analysis on Page 2 at all, you would have seen where I pointed out all of the very specific liberties that Finfolk chose for their Blue Tang tail to keep it true to the fish while still making it unique and their own; this included the addition of specific markings and colors that aren't present on the fish itself.

Your designer (Who I'm now intrigued about thanks to the intentionally vague distancing language you used when addressing their being "reprimanded") took ALL of these specific, unique twists to the design and ripped it off almost line. For. Line. And that's what people have a problem with.

Nobody's upset that you wanted to do a Blue Tang tail; they're upset because your designer couldn't be assed to do their flippin' job and plagiarized someone else's work. In artistic industries like this? That becomes a DANGEROUS liability for your company and people get fired INSTANTLY for that crap-- As your designer should have been.

And now, because of your employee choosing to steal someone else's design? Everything else your company produces is open to suspicion. Even if you didn't copy the Lotus design, the Blue Tang incident destroys a lot of your credibility, because to the outsider you've actively promoted stolen work once; who's to say you aren't doing it again?

If you want Swimtails to succeed, you need to learn to handle situations like this appropriately and as professionally as possible; which I personally feel you kind of dropped the ball on.
    The Blue Tang incident was a miscommuncation and a mistake, We did have to terminate our designers employment becouse of this, although I ultimately take the blame and have spoken with the owners of FinFolk to make amends. Please consider that we never produced or sold any of those tails, it was purely a concept as many of our designs are at this stage.

I am trying to learn and grow from this experience. I am torn about the best way to avoid situations like the Lotus Tail. I designed that myself, so I know it was not inspired by the previous sketch.

Please let me know what you suggest Tieri, would sharing our new concepts within this community be a good idea to avoid this situation.?
    I really appreciate your honest feedback

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    PearlieMae, do you belive that your Lotus design was te first and only rendetion of a mermaid flower tail. I can assure you it is not. I have found in my research serveral other "lotus-like" mermaid tail dsigns that re-date your own.
    Personally I'd like to see these because apart from the one you posted and Lotus_Bloomings sketches I am aware of one other lotus tail, and that's from a game you can get from the apple store and it's layered leaves.
    I have never seen a lotus tail previously, and I spend a fair bit of time on Pinterest, Google and all the rest of it looking up inspiration because I like to draw tails.
    Fair enough the tail she sent you was more distinctly different because of the scales. But the image that Pearlie posted with the 'stem' winding around the tail body is very close.

You can't say you haven't been rude. There were people sitting on the fence when we first started looking at your tails and then as soon as they saw your interaction with people on facebook/instagram whatever, they all agreed you were rude.

What you need to understand is that there are members on this site who are well known in the community, and people regularly do ask for their opinions. Honestly someone had to turn of their PM on here off so they could catch a break. You've been around for not even 4 months, chill. Little fish, Big pond. Carrying on like this can get you eaten alive. It happens. It's already happened at least once in the last few months. lets not see it happen again, sound good?
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

Well good riddance to a bad designer. Good luck with a new one!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Well good riddance to a bad designer. Good luck with a new one!
    Thanks AniaR, it's probably better that I keep a closer eye on new concepts anyway. Plus it's my favorite part !

You can certainly recover from this mistake with a little elbow grease and PR