Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: "swimtails" anyone heard of em?

Oh god that was so long I'm so sorry, please don't be mad at me. ;-; I may have gotten a little carried away with that analysis, oops.

That was.... glorious.

Edit: change from amazing to glorious because oh it was.
    Last edited by merkitty; 04-06-2015 at 03:04 AM.

I totally see where you're coming from and I see the same thing. A+ for gif usage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

another thing to note is the space between the veins in the fluke and the scale shape, which are as identical as can be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by merkitty View Post
    That was.... glorious.

I try my best. Though I tend to overthink these things, sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidofthelabyrinth View Post
    another thing to note is the space between the veins in the fluke and the scale shape, which are as identical as can be
    I noticed that too! Mostly I opted to avoid addressing similarities in the fluke and scale shapes between the two tails since I was more focused on the Blue Tang design itself than the tail's construction (especially where Swimtails' is only a drawing at this stage and it seemed unfair to put them on blast for that aspect when they don't have a physical tail made with this design yet.)

its odd I find thare tails amazing and they seem friendly they even fallowd me on twtter too at but reading all this comments and looking at the compareing im not so sure they are safe since they are stealing tail designs plus im worred im next if my tail design gets out

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Awesome, Tieri! I love your in-depth analysis!

In reference to the lotus tail, it's a lot more subtle, but definite design elements are copied directly.

Lotus' initial design has a definite swirl pattern down the body of the tail. Swimtails has used a leaf texture in their image, whose center rib follows the same line as Lotus Blossom's original design.

Also, the interpretation of the flower/fluke nearly identical as far as shape and proportion. Lilium, who designed a lotus-themed tail previously, used the lotus flower as her interpretation, but is decidedly different in her version. Also, Lillium had designed her tail in 2013, Lotus Blossom in 2014, and Swimtails had marked theirs with a copyright (©) 2015.

Like I said before, you can knock off a garment once it's produced, but Swimtails is offering a tail for production from an original DESIGN that was created by Lotus Blossom. That's where the theft of intellectual property comes in.

Hello All , This is Ryan, owner of Swimtails, I see that there is a vibrant debate about our company and I feel it fair to join in

Lets Begin with the Dory Tail.
    I was alerted yesterday morning of a design descrpancy regarding FinFolks Dory Tail, When I was made aware of this, I removed the tail from all of my sites and repremanded the designer. I also spoke with Abby, the owner of FinFolk directly on the phone and we came to an amicable agreement

As for the Lotus Tail, Our design was 100% NOT in any way inspired by anything but the Lotus Flower. Just because somebody made similar design and posted it to a forum, does not entitle them to intellectual rights to our idea.

When we were alerted that we "copied" her lotus tail, we searched and could not find her drawing, she had to send us a copy. In fact we just joined the Forum today after finding out that PearlieMae was making awful claims about us from one of our fans

So the question becomes this: Are we allowed to create tails based on fish that another designer had previously done?
    Are fish copyrighted? Is it a "I did it first" mentality.?

PearlieMae, do you belive that your Lotus design was te first and only rendetion of a mermaid flower tail. I can assure you it is not. I have found in my research serveral other "lotus-like" mermaid tail dsigns that re-date your own.

Gee that kinda felt like a trial that we were not invited to, may we respond?

Hey PearlieMae, we did NOT rip off this design, we designed this with the inspiration of the Lotus Flower. Your drawing is not available to find on any search engines, nor is it an actual product that has been produced. How could we have possibly stolen this design?

Thank you for your kind comments. We get asked and sent pictures of drawings and snapshots of different fish ie. Lion fish, mandarin, dory/tang. People LOVE mermaids especially children which we get designs from all day. They all like to draw images for ideas for there next tail. We are learning now that we need to be very careful about designs that are out there already. We do not want a bad name. We want to supply the community nice fabric tails at a fair price. We are not offering silicone only fabric. So these tails would never be the same anyway.

Mermaid Selene, we removed PearlieMae's responses because of the accusatory nature of her messages. The Lotus flower tail was NOT designed based on her drawing. Just because she drew it first, does not give a right to accuse us and slander us. There are billions of people, millions of artists and thousands of mermaid artists, What are the odds of there being legitamtely simialr designs? I have spoken to the owners of a few major mermaid tail companies and they have assured me that they get accused of stealing designs too. One owner I spoke to confided that she designed a tail that she thought someone else ripped off because of the similarity, in fact that other designer had made their tail first.

Wow, you sure do like to throw around the slander word.

There are too many precise similarities (like the Dory tail) between your design and Lotus Blossom's design to believe it to be coincidental, in my opinion. If you had several flower design tails, and weren't so immediately defensive, I would be willing to believe that it was the universe coming together to show how great minds think alike. After your exchange with Lotus, I'm inclined to think that somehow you actually DID see her design.

And as for not responding, I don't live on the forum and just got out of a doctor's appointment.

PearlieMae, your first mesage to us was "You have Stolen Intellectual Property" you went on to threaten us with a lawsuit. Again the Dory Tail was a mistake made that was resolved drectly with Abby from Finfolk. A designer was fired for this instance. However that does not mean that the lotus tail was copied. FinFolk's Dory Tail is an actual product that was been produced and purchased and is widely known. Your drawing of a lotus like tail is not widely published so we could have not even known it existed . Wishing you health at your Dr. App

Also, because the drawing didn't show up in your internet search of images doesn't mean you don't have access to the forum.

And the design in question doesn't belong to me, but a Mernetwork forum member, with whom you've had a lengthy exchange.

None of our comments have been rude. This is why we had to block people from our instagram. Everything was an accusation. You and pearlie came at us very harsh

We have just signed up to the forum this morning, you can check for yourself PearlieMae

no way we could have seen that drawing, its not accessible unless you are a member of this com, even then, I would have to dig around for it, I still havent found it, only have an image that was sent to me directly

I can assure you theredknight100 that we are not out to steal anyones's designs. We are all part of a greater community of creative artists, if there are ever similarties, you can reach out to us directly. We have enough imagination to fill a room and don't need to steal. the Dory fin was a mistake that we owned up to, I had to fire one of my best designers becaouse of that. I also had a long conversation with Abby from FinFolk and we are on good terms. As for the lotus flower design, I KNOW that this is not in anyway inspired from PearlieMAe, because I created it myself

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Please make all your posts in ONE post.

Here's the deal.

I started this thread.

I have 3 mermaid companies. www.halifaxmermaids.com www.atlanticmermaids.com and www.canadianmermaids.com and if the mernetwork members will let me toot my own horn here for a second, I'm one of the more well known mermaids with 32,000+ followers on facebook and a huge client base.

We're up for a $10,000 business grant so I have been researching who I can give my constant business to for fabric tail makers. We plan on buying a bulk order of tails to rent, and we want to get in touch with someone about being official resellers. So I have been contacting all the fabric tail makers online. THERE IS ONLY ONE FABRIC TAIL COMPANY IN CANADA AND THEY DO NOT FILL THE DEMAND. So there is a huge market here.

So for me, a well known, well versed, large company and potential client...

THIS DOES NOT LOOK GOOD TO ME. I have made LOADS of posts on mernetwork over the past 5 years about the issues of ripping off other tail makers. I refuse to support any company that does it. I have blacklisted loads of people. And it MAKES A DIFFERENCE. As a very well known mermaid I am asked at least 10 times a day "do you recommend ____?" on here, on facebook, on twitter, on instagram, on youtube, and on our website. YOU DO NOT WANT SOMEONE LIKE ME SAYING NO I DONT RECOMMEND THESE PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY STEAL TAIL DESIGNS... BECAUSE YOUR POTENTIAL CLIENTS WILL LISTEN TO ME.

So here is the deal. You've been researching the mer-community. You've come into it and your first official acts as a company have been to alienate a huge portion of your market.

The good thing for you? YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO FIX IT.

Instead of joining mernetwork and acting INCREDIBLY UNPROFESSIONAL and arguing with people (FYI this forum is for discussing anything in the mermaid world and most especially tail makers. So get used to it) and ruining your reputation before your business has even gotten off the ground... (cuz I promise you mermaids are like elephants... we NEVER forget)

Simply remove the designs, move forward, and never copy someone else again. If you take inspiration from someone else's design simply message them and say "hey, we'd love to have your permission to do a version of your design". THE COMMUNITY AND YOUR CLIENT BASE LOVE TAIL MAKERS WHO GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO BE FAIR TO THE COMMUNITY AND THOSE TAIL MAKERS GET MORE BUSINESS AND ARE SPOKEN HIGHLY OF.

You have a REAL chance here!
    Do you realize how awesome people will think you are if you just take accountability and do the right thing and move forward into the future? WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES I get it. And you may not have realized how big of a deal this is to people. Tail designs are so personal and people put so much of themselves into it.

So those are your options at the moment:

1.Recognize you just made a big mistake in the community, even if you dont feel like you did you have to at least recognize that by community standards you did. Maybe you were ignorant to that, maybe you weren't. It doens't matter. Just recognize you made a mistake, pull the designs, be sure to change how you do things in the future, and people will respect you for it and recognize you as a tail maker with standards who are willing to own up when they mess up. And they'll give you a chance.

2. Or, you can argue, lie, defend, play the ignorance card, AND THE COMMUNITY WILL NEVER FORGET YOU DID THAT AND MAKE IT THEIR MISSION TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS IT. I guarantee you it'll affect your business and reputation.

It's not a threat, it is just what happens! If you don't believe me you should look up the companies that have been black listed. Guess what? They're all bankrupt with horrible reputations.

You seemed so eager to be my tail providers! But I can't in good conscious give loads of business and money to a company that has stolen designs from my friends, and come on our forum and insulted them. You may not care about my personal business. But you'll care about what I and others have to say about it

So please, reconsider all of this. Take some time. Think on it. YOU HAVE EVERYTHING TO GAIN AND EVERYTHING TO LOSE.

@Swimtails

You blocked me on Instagram because I defended Finfolk Productions who are my tailmakers and stated the truth.
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm done with you.

I had a post similar to what Raina was about to say, but she's said it much better.

I have no pony in this race and I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on the lotus tail, but the clearly copied Dory tail was what swung it for me. It looks really bad. I'd say it would be your best bet to just let the lotus design issue go, at this point, as a gesture of goodwill. If you've got a team of creative designers then you'll have no problems coming up with tons of other awesome original ideas.

I agree this is getting way out of hand and we would like to speak with Pearlie Mae to fix this problem ASAP I gave her our private number.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    There's really nothing to discuss. Drop the design, move on. It's really simple.

I agree with Raina and Ashmorelj. Maybe even just take the lotus design down, re-do it. and re-post it. What really made me not like the company was how harshly and rudely you responded to your possible clients. I get that most of the comments were accusatory, and some rude, but you are a BUSINESS and therefor in my eyes have zero right to even act so unprofessional and respond that way. I get that being accused of something you don't think you did triggers a reaction to lash out and defend yourself, which is fine. It's HOW you defended yourself that I have a problem with. The Tang tail was an obvious rip off, and you owned up to it and made amends. The lotus tail Is less obvious, but it looks like at the very least, whoever designed it took inspiration from that. You could have just put in the picture "inspired by Lotus Blooming", and been done with it. Who would that hurt anyway? Your customers will think you honest, and you would have patched any holes you made. Now, I'm all for second chances, but the people here in the mer community take a little effort to get back on their good side. I hope we can all come to a good conclusion.

We did. We lost this fight.