Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mer RPGs?

Mer RPGs?

Does anyone know any RPGs where one can play as a mermaid or merman?

In the old World of Darkness games by White Wolf, they came out with a book called Blood-Dimmed Tides, which included Merfolk characters for the Changeling: the Dreaming setting. The old World of Darkness also had weresharks called Rokea and the more monstrous Murdhuacha and an interesting take on Selkies.

Forgotten Realms had a product called Sea of Fallen Stars, where you could play as a merman/mermaid, triton, shalarin, locathah, or sea elf.

Necessary Evil has an Atlantean race, including a side column on "throwbacks" with fish tails instead of legs.

"Monster" from Alderac Entertainment has rules for Merfolk characters.

"Into the Blue" by Lee Hamock does provide an undersea setting, as does Stormwrack, but I don't think either of them provide merfolk characters, and neither does Mythic Races (though it does have a few amphious or marine species, none of them are recognizably merfolk). Savage Species, however, does provide rules (and a pretty decent sample character) for merfolk.

Pathfinder does allow merfolk characters as well, though they only mention that briefly.

Dragon Magazine (and the Dragon Magazine Archive discs) had a great article about numerous seagoing player character races several years ago (I can't access my copy of the archive discs since I got a mac computer, but I'll try and dig out the article title and issue), including merfolk and arabian mermaids known as Pahari, who are able to shift shapes between human, mermaid, and large tropical fish.

GURPS Fantasy Folk, GURPS Faerie, Everlasting: The Book of the Fantastical (under the Faeries section), Castle Falkenstein (briefly, under the Faerie section, and with lots of limitations from being unable to walk), Exalted (particularly "Graceful Wicked Masks," though the Lunars and Sea Folk are a close approximation as well), the Changing Breeds book for the new World of Darkness setting, and the Changeling: the Lost rulebooks do allow for characters who act like and resemble mermaids, even if they fall under a different name or are considered a species (or role) of fairy creature. You can probably make a similar character in Grimm (via the pinacle of the "Normal Kid" ability to fit into the Grimm Lands as a character or creature), Dreaming Cities, or Deliria, and though only vaguely mermaid-like, the Pixie-Nixies discussed in Hackmaster: the Adventurer's Guide to Pixie-Fairies are pretty cool. Savage Suzerain's The Great Below describes water-elemental beings, though they're usually shown with legs.

A Faery's Tale shows you how to make a mermaid character, but doesn't really provide any background for them.

Warrior, Rogue, and Mage has a supplement detailing merpeople as playable characters.

Cerulean Seas, a campaign setting for Pathfinder, does provide numerous aquatic species, including several different species of merfolk.

Blue Rose: The Roleplaying Game of Romantic Fantasy provides a player race of "Sea Folk" who have legs, but also have webbed fingers and long finlike feat, fins on their arms and legs and heads, a certain androgynous appearance and an alliance with intelligent dolphins (whom you can also play).

Extremely flexible systems like Mutants & Masterminds, True20, Godsend Agenda, and the like easily allow for merfolk characters, but don't provide much flavor for them.

As far as electronic games go, I think that Perfect World is the only MMORPG where one can play as a mermaid or merman, though there was some talk of another game that got scrapped, and early plans for Istaria/Horizons included details about a playable fish-tailed species known as Lamurians (their humanoid upper bodies were somewhat fishlike as well, however, and like many things about Horizons, the Lamurians were cut from the plans from the game when it became apparent that they weren't going to get any financing or backing, resulting in a seriously disappointing game even without the presence of the lamurians... though the dragon characters, and later the satyrs and winged dryads, were fun). Certainly Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II both had extensive levels of Atlantica, with the main characters allied with Ariel and transformed into merfolk of sorts (I have no idea what you call a duck/octopus hybrid or a dog/sea turtle cross). The old nintendo and super nintendo and sega genesis little mermaid games were pretty fun (and in one you could play as Ariel or King Triton), though it has been ages since I played them.

I can't think of any other games like that, but if you guys have any suggestions, by all means, let me know.
    Last edited by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!; 12-05-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Forgot a game

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I tried to start a forum based one but it never really took off... too bad it was a lot of work to set up lol I dont even know where I hosted it now though been a while now

Yeah, I was considering posting one, but it'll need more fine-tuning, I think, before I do that.

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    I think you have had most of the games already. In the Elder Scrolls series from Bethesda you can play as aquatic elves, but only if you added the race to the game.
    Your imagination is your only limit

Yeah, the current version of D&D just added Sprites, Satyrs, and Hamadryads to the list of playable races, but the closest thing to mermaids would be the Genasi with the water element form (which lets them breathe under water)... but Genasi are more elemental beings than strictly marine ones, as they can have fire, earth, air, and storm forms as well.

There is a old PlayStation 1 RPG that came out in Japan called either meremanoid or mermanoid. It is based off a anime of the same name. It is all in japanese.

Huh, that reminds me, lasserine, the Altered Beast francise had a game that never made it to the states where the player could turn into a black-lagoon-esque "merman" in addition to several other monsters.

And a fourth of the playstation game, Primal, allows the main character to turn into an Undine.

Also, API (Apocalypse Prevention Inc.) has merfolk ("Ondines") in the Lochs book, as a species that works with API but opposes the presence of the more common Lochs (creatures of the black lagoon from another planet that is entirely underwater). The Ondine claim to be descendants of a group of soldiers blessed by Poseidon, though API's scientists believe that Ondine DNA is a mutation of humanity's. Ondines are pretty arrogant (they believe humans "Zeus's Favorites" have despoiled the planet, and as 75% of the Earth is covered in water, the Ondines consider themselves the true rulers of the world), but may show compassion for humans and save their lives on occasion. They can transform their tails into legs for a short period of time (they must be submerged in salt water one hour for every six they spend out of the water, or else they revert to mer-form and begin to die), are all extremely attractive, and only female Ondines can give birth to more Ondines... if a male Ondine marries a human, their children will be human. They have exceptional singing abilities and both genders can... um... produce milk from their breasts that gives anyone who drinks it the power to breathe in salt water for 20 minutes.

Wow! That's quite an incentive, "Suck the boobie if you want to live!" With my luck, I'd be rescued by the wrong gender. Altogether an interesting species concept.

Alveric

Gosh darnit, Alveric, now I'll have "suck the boobie if you want to live" stuck in my head for the rest of the day! And I don't know that gender would bother me so much as the age of my rescuer. *shudder*

The merfolk in Blood-Dimmed tides have "mermaid milk" that grants water breathing to non-mers, too, but only mermaids can... um, generate it, not mermen. For them, it serves as a way of keeping newborns alive (merfolk don't become merfolk until they join with a spirit animal around puberty, so children are born human, which, without the milk, would be dangerous for them). Merfolk in Blood-Dimmed tides are changelings, though, and share the changeling vulnerability to "banality," the force of human disbelief, which can transform them to humans permanently if they are exposed to too much of it... including out in the middle of the ocean, which is why the merfolk are so reclusive... they can't survive anywhere but in their coral cities, away from humanity.

If we got a Mer RPG going, I would be interested.

Alveric

I'm fine-tuning the one I made earlier... I have the whole worldbuilding thing done, and I should have it up before the weekend's over.

Ok, the Merfolk of Aegir's Cove rpg is posted in the "Miscellaneous" and "Everything Else" sections, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Also, it's my understanding that someone was making a merfolk MMO of some sort, but it never got developed and was left unfinished (the only video clips I can find of it show vertical eel-like tails and very poor (by today's standard) graphics).

I'm curious, though... does that new disney MMO game (Disney Universe) let you make mer-characters? Admittedly, the toy-look is kinda weird, but I understand that one can dress characters up as Ariel (or Jack Sparrow, or Tinkerbell, to draw on other disney movies with mermaids).

I had started an RPG in 2008 that took off for a while before dying... I then created another one in 2009 that went on for a little while before school work ate up all my time. I started working on yet another new one this summer (I was hoping to have it done before the WMA, but my tail took up most of my time haha). I forgot about it for a while until last week when I saw this thread! Ha ha! I've actually just finished it if you guys want to check it out. I've put up a banner link to MerNetwork too!

I've always wanted a place to RP out all the ocean/underwater stuff we can't do in real life. :P

edit: a link always helps... *hides under desk* http://underwatertales.proboards.com/
    Last edited by courtneymermaid; 12-22-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Hey Courtney, why are you hiding under a desk? Your rpg looks pretty good (though it does seem to be a bit catering to people who actually have pictures of themselves in tails... those of us who lack fishtail photos might find your character bios a bit daunting), and I think you should be proud. I'm still exploring it, and trying to figure out if I can rig up a temporary fabric tail of some sort to submit a picture, but it looks like fun. One thing... should I keep my screen name from here to be recognizable, or go by my given name: Martin?

Also, here's a link to the Aegir's Cove Rpg, if anyone's missing it. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-%28the-RPG%29

Oh, and I found out that Dungeon Crawl has a "merfolk" race, though not exactly our image of merfolk, at least to my knowledge.
    Total Annihilation: Kingdoms features four fantasy realms ruled by immortal siblings with magic powers based on the following themes: nobility/chivalry/earth, necromancy/sorcery/fire, wildness/jungle/air, and trade/seafaring/water. The queen of the fourth kingdom wears piscine armor and may or may not have fins for ears, and turns into a mermaid when she enters any body of water, making her the fastest swimmer of the four monarchs.
    Retromud has Behemoths (Blue-whale people), Homarids (Crab people), Illex (squid), Kuroa (Shark-men), Selkies (with mer-like tails in their humanoid form), Tortles (sea-turtle people), and Rusalka (as water maidens, with legs), but no actual merfolk (at least, not that I can see).

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Just joined your RPG Courtney! I don't really have any experience with RPG's and I don't know if I will be able to remain that active in it since I only have free time sporadically, but this looks really cool and I definitely want to try.

I made a post in the thread about merfolk getting legs when dry, just to share my opinion that I prefer versions where they can't grow legs. I understand that not being able to grow legs might be a little restrictive though. So does the RPG have a mythology to go with it, or is that going to be created?

Also:
    Your rpg looks pretty good (though it does seem to be a bit catering to people who actually have pictures of themselves in tails... those of us who lack fishtail photos might find your character bios a bit daunting)
    Maybe we could make a thread where people who want an image of themself as a mermaid or merman can get in touch with people who do drawings for free, or people who make merfolk images for a small fee, or tutorials that can explain some simple tips for making basic photomanipulations. The problem of some people wishing they had an image of themself as a mer isn't restricted just to this RPG. There are probably people who wish they had images like that for facebook profiles and on here too.

Thanks so much for checking it out! I've started a FAQ page to answer some of the questions you've asked (they are excellent questions and I want to make sure that others have access to the answers).

This is what I have so far:

Q. Do I need to have a real picture of myself in a tail?
    A. Nope! It can be a real picture of you in a tail, a tail digitally painted on or even a sketch or drawing of yourself/character! You can even get creative with your photos in that you don't have to show your tail, it could be a photo of your swimming in the ocean or in a pool where we only see your top half! Have fun with it! Whatever you would like to represent you!

Q. What should I use for my name?
    A. Use whatever name you would like to represent you/your character here on the forum. If you want to keep things connected with the MerNetwork, you can always include your screen name in your signature or in your personal text which you can change in your profile and will show up under your avatar.

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    Just joined your RPG Courtney! I don't really have any experience with RPG's and I don't know if I will be able to remain that active in it since I only have free time sporadically, but this looks really cool and I definitely want to try.

I made a post in the thread about merfolk getting legs when dry, just to share my opinion that I prefer versions where they can't grow legs. I understand that not being able to grow legs might be a little restrictive though. So does the RPG have a mythology to go with it, or is that going to be created?

Also:

Maybe we could make a thread where people who want an image of themself as a mermaid or merman can get in touch with people who do drawings for free, or people who make merfolk images for a small fee, or tutorials that can explain some simple tips for making basic photomanipulations. The problem of some people wishing they had an image of themself as a mer isn't restricted just to this RPG. There are probably people who wish they had images like that for facebook profiles and on here too.
    Absolutely! I agree with this! I think we should start a thread like that for sure! I am a designer would be happy to offer up my services to mers out there hoping for photos or drawings of themselves. I wouldn't be able to do it for free unfortunately since I do already have a lengthy list of commissions waiting to be completed, but we can talk about this in another thread. (If you want to check out the kind of stuff I do, here's my site: Spirits-Lair.com)

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I'm really curious about the backstory and mythology of the RPG. Does it have one yet? I'm really curious about some of the basic aspects of the whole thing:

Do merfolk exist naturally, or are former humans that were transformed?
    Do the merfolk keep their existence a secret from humans?
    Is there a merfolk society? If so, how is it structured?
    Does magic exist?
    Are there elements of science fiction?

For sure! Well my thinking was that it would be something that we could all contribute to and create together! I figure we all must have our ideas and theories or even stories that we share while performing about how we are and where we came from. I thought we could all build on that.

I'm pretty much leaving it open to everyone's imagination. I really want people to feel like they can contribute their ideas and share their theories and create a world based on that!