Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Would anyone be interested in pearl hair pins like these?

Would anyone be interested in pearl hair pins like these?

I fell in love with the anime version of The Little Mermaid when I was a kid and always wanted one of her hair pins:

Recently I learned how to make cloth flowers, so I made these yesterday!

The first, simple one is on a lobster clip, though I'm thinking of using an actual hair pin like in the movie in the future, as they're more versatile. The second one, with the plants and netting, is on a French barrett clip. The flowers are around 3" (8cm) across. The center pearls are the same color on both of them but for some reason got washed out by lighting in the second pic. Everything is swim-safe, from the fabric to the plants to the glue, though I haven't tested them in prolonged chlorine exposure yet.

I want to eventually offer different sizes of flower and let you pick your pearl and fabric color, and maybe learn to make different types of flowers.

So... thoughts? I'm thinking the simple ones would be $12-15 and the more ornate ones $20-25.

that's one of the prettiest hair pins I've ever seen!!!!!!

Those are gorgeous! I would definitely want to buy
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Wow!!! They're amazing!

OMFG! I am so in love with this!!!

I would totally want a movie accurate one for sure!

Awesome, so glad you guys like them! I've found a supplier that carries the right size of pearl beads, so here's the list of options I've mocked up:

I used pearls I bought a long time ago, but I'm 90% sure the ones I used in the first post are Clamshell.

The minimum order for each color is 5, so I was sort of hoping the first batch of hair pin orders could agree on a color or two that you'd all like. That would give me enough capital to start building a collection of colors.

I also found hair pins! They're not the Kanzashi style used in the movie but they're the closest I could find. I'll offer the choice between pin or lobster clip, since they have different applications (like it might be hard to wear a pin in the water).

Working on opening an Etsy shop - I had one ages ago, and I guess I need Etsy's approval to change my name, so that might take a day or two.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lily; 04-10-2015 at 02:00 AM.

Beautiful flower! I make and sell clips of the two other styles of kanzashi flowers (my etsy is SilverfinCreations), I could never quite get the hang of this one! I've found that you have to be quite careful shipping them though, as the pointy ends of the clips can rip through the packaging if handled roughly (one of my customers only got half the envelope, no idea how they managed that!)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Pretty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    I would love one (Toei LM is my FAVORITE EVER OMG, and I've been planning a Marina cosplay for the summer) but I have a question- how do they hold up under water?

I want one!!! So pretty!

Very well, actually. I used a 100% polyester fabric that can be used for swim suits, so it holds up just fine. The folds and gathering aren't as crisp underwater because the water gets in the layers, but it dries just right with a little gentle reshaping. I have not exposed the fabric to lots of chlorine yet, but so long as the flower is rinsed in fresh water afterwards I think it will be okay. Same goes with the white plants I used in the ornate clip, which I sealed with some acrylic spray to keep the flocking from coming off.

The biggest concern is probably the clips themselves, as they're only silver-plated brass and not solid silver, so the finish may come off eventually, but they're hard to see behind the flowers and plant life.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Those are the so pretty! I would def buy one or more, of the second pic type. And I would use them for everyday wear -- too pretty to get wet!

@SINicallyTwisted - I found 2 beads in my collection that are slightly paler and pinker than the Clamshell ones. I have no idea where they came from, but I think they might be a little closer to the movie version. If you'd like one or both of them on flowers in either style (classic pin/lobster or ornate barrette), you can have first dibs!

Ones attached to flower = clamshell, loose = magical mystery bead

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    @SINicallyTwisted - I found 2 beads in my collection that are slightly paler and pinker than the Clamshell ones. I have no idea where they came from, but I think they might be a little closer to the movie version. If you'd like one or both of them on flowers in either style (classic pin/lobster or ornate barrette), you can have first dibs!

Ones attached to flower = clamshell, loose = magical mystery bead
    Squeeeeeeee!!!! It's like it was meant to be! YAY for mystery beads! LOL

I LOVE them so much! I would like them both please! One simple and one ornate!
    How much total and where do I PayPal you so I can send it to you right away!

Eeeeeee!!! I'm so excited! You totally made my day!!!

Awesome! I'm so glad you like them! The two beads were just sitting there in my little bead case screaming, "Make us into stuff! Please!!" I'll get started on them today! If you PM me your email address I can send you a PayPal invoice - total will be $40 ($12 for the classic, $22 for the ornate, and $6 for shipping). For the classic one, would you prefer it on a hairpin or a lobster clip? Also, for the ornate one, I have a small amount of black netting if you would prefer that to the natural brown. I'm sadly out of the pale leaves I used in the first clip, but I have a few other faux plants up my sleeve that should make for something unique and gorgeous

Well, f*ck me...! Why am I a guy again??

These accessories are really pretty but I definitely won't be able to wear them.

This is so not fair

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Awesome! I'm so glad you like them! The two beads were just sitting there in my little bead case screaming, "Make us into stuff! Please!!" I'll get started on them today! If you PM me your email address I can send you a PayPal invoice - total will be $40 ($12 for the classic, $22 for the ornate, and $6 for shipping). For the classic one, would you prefer it on a hairpin or a lobster clip? Also, for the ornate one, I have a small amount of black netting if you would prefer that to the natural brown. I'm sadly out of the pale leaves I used in the first clip, but I have a few other faux plants up my sleeve that should make for something unique and gorgeous
    I'll PM you as soon as I post this and get that to you asap-a-roonie!

For the classic one, I'm thinking the lobster clip might hold better in my hair? Something good and sturdy and won't budge.
    As for the ornate one, I will trust your judgement though I'm sure it will totally be gorgeous no matter what!

OMG I so can't wait! Eeeeeeee! SO excited!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post

These accessories are really pretty but I definitely won't be able to wear them.

This is so not fair
    Get one and keep in the breastpocket on your suit!

This is so not fair
    Oh My! *merhugs* What about turning one into a necklace that you could wear?

This is so not fair

I may or may not have clipped one to my husband's hair. A few times. He said it makes him feel very pretty Gender shouldn't be a a barrier to pretty hair things!