Thread: Summer in NYC

Summer in NYC

Hey Mers!

I'll be in NYC this June and July and was wondering who all is out there!

I probably won't have my tail because of space but I'd love to talk to some of y'all and maybe meet!

-Megan
    *formerly MerAriel*

I know Lanai, the New York Mermaid sets up a lot on meet ups during the summer for Coney Island. At the moment we don't have anything set up for summer yet. I know there's the Coney Island Mermaid Parade in... June? I think and I know a lot of us are planning to go to the parade.
    Mermaids&Anchors

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    This year the Coney Island Mermaid Parade is Saturday, June 20th! (They also have a forum, but if you're thinking of participating, just ask me...I've been a parade vet since 1983!)

http://www.coneyisland.com/programs/mermaid-parade

I'm in North Jersey (NYC Metro area) and would love to come out for a meet-up and swim!

I will absolutely be at the Mermaid Parade! I don't know if I'll want to participate or not but I'll be there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *formerly MerAriel*

I didn't participate last year but I hopefully plan to participate this year, it's really fun to watch(: I STRONGLY suggest buying a beach chair and going early and if you sit on the boardwalk try to have a sprinkler behind you so when the wind blows you can feel the water on you c: I did that last year and it was really refreshing
    Mermaids&Anchors

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Here's the page for the NYC(area) pod meetup We'd love to have you join us!

https://www.facebook.com/events/686547954765483/

We generally do a separate meetup at the parade, but don't really go to the parade itself. We hang out down by the water where the parade kind of dumps out.

Also we eat a lot of hot dogs.

I think we should go to the parade more this year. Need to get there early and stake out a spot for a few people in tails, and basically win the parade.

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcaMatt View Post
    I think we should go to the parade more this year. Need to get there early and stake out a spot for a few people in tails, and basically win the parade.
    You mean bring long lawn chairs and watch the parade while in tails? Because I can get behind that.

I will wave as I go by IN the parade!

Remember, it's going to be the first day of Summer (close enough to it), and unless it is raining or unseasonably cold, even just sitting in a rubber tail is going to be hotter than hell!

It will be crowded anywhere near where you can see the parade, and if you're in tails, you're going to get jammed with tons of people looking at you, trying to touch your tail, asking tons of questions and taking billions of photos with you. I have never enjoyed watching the Mermaid Parade. The place to be is IN the parade.

If you want to win a trophy, the protocol is to bribe the judges! And since there are about a hundred judges, be sure to bring plenty of bribes! (You can also pay to be a judge and you can watch the parade from the viewing stands...wearing a tail as a judge could be very awesome!)

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Are you going to wear your tail in the parade, Pearlie?

(You're right about the crowds. I may just hang out near the parade. And eat hot dogs. But not near enough to get trampled. Maybe some nice person will let me sit on their fire escape. Do you think Nathan's delivers to random alleys?)

I'm thinking of it...also seriously considering buying a judgeship. The last few parades nearly killed me (costume engineering failures) and this year, I think I'd like to oversee. I have a decent wheelchair, so maybe I'll stake out a spot near the judge's viewing stand and watch more than participate.

Also, I may wear a fabric tail rather than silicone. I wore my silicone tail at the Maker Faire in September - sitting in one spot all day in the shade - and was FREAKING HOTTTTT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MerAriel View Post
    Hey Mers!
    Hey there, Lanai is finally back lol Sorry I've been away dealing with personal stuff, Um Well Im thinking of doing a meet up POSSIBLY Saturday May 9th or 16th (a Saturday), I haven't chosen the exact date yet, but if all goes well our first pod meet up will be sometime around there. You are more than welcome to come join us and let your merfriends know as well. Im watching the days hoping they get warmer. Cameras and vid cams are welcome.

Check out our Event page for Updates:https://www.facebook.com/events/686547954765483/

As for the parade, I want to try to make it this year, Im crossing my fingers to go but I cant make any promises, (June is my busy month) But we will work out a Meetup day if you want to hang out

I'm able to go to the parade and meet up on the 20th this year! I didn't think I'd get the time off from work, but I'm glad I was able to. Who else is going? I'm thinking about hunting down some of those fan/mist bottle combos for keeping cool while watching the parade.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    I'm going, but I don't know if I'll go to the parade itself. I'll probably hang out on the beach after. My tail is pretty heavy to carry around over my shoulder for any length of time, particularly in a crowd.

(Like I'd miss out on hot dogs. I'm freakin' drooling, thinking about stuffing my face.)

Also, should we all exchange cell numbers for easy meetup logistics?

I don't really care to watch the parade myself, but Lindsey and I are going together and she seemed like she wanted to. Besides, the meet up is usually at 12 but the parade doesn't start till 1. Beach bummin it is probably the best option.

And yes numbers would be good! Hoping I'll have service @-@

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

I can take or leave the actual parade, but Julia hasn't been, so we'll probably go for a while then meet up with the beach crew.

IM GOING TO THE PARADE GUYS

so what are the details for the meet up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *formerly MerAriel*

Hi MerAriel I know this thread post was for last year sorry i missed it, but if your in the NYC area again, I too will be setting up Friendly Mer-Meetups at Coney Island this summer and will be participating in this years Coney Island Mermaid Parade along with a few other merfriends, afterwards we're all meeting up by the rocks to greet and hang out hope you can make it, its on June 18th everyone is welcome, photos/videos will be taken lots of fun you can check out my event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1707...message_bubble