Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: North Pacific Pod Introductions!

Hi, I'm Lizzy. I moved to Portland about a year ago from San Francisco. I'm in NoPo right now (on the border between Portsmouth and St. John's) but looking to move soon. If you saw the news stories about the arsonist in North Portland who set a whole bunch of stuff on fire early last month... My car was the one in all the broadcasts So yeah, not feeling particularly great about this neighborhood anymore.

I don't have my tail yet and I'm torn between making my own or purchasing a Merbella's later this year. I'm fairly crafty and my journey to my Bachelor's of Fine Arts (emphasis in painting) included many years of sculpting, molding, casting, etc, so making my own is very appealing. On the other hand, I'm completely in love with Raven's designs and can't decide. #mermaidproblems

Junior Member North Pacific Pod
    Hi Lizzy , nice to meet a fellow artist, I love Ravens tails , of course i love most tails,lol. I couldnt decide ether so out came the sculpting clay and im hoping I dont make a mess, lol. Im a mermaid fighting a fear of water, I know, sad! lol. so Id like to have a zipper in the first one, but I love the look of silicone and dont mind heavy or uncomfortable as long as I can get dressed up So lots of ideas going down in my studio and fins crossed.
    Cant wait to see what you do Or if you get your merbellas , Super good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kacina Odonley View Post
    Im a mermaid fighting a fear of water, I know, sad! lol
    I'm battling a fear of fish, myself. It's the gaping mouths and the unblinking, soulless eyes... *shudder* I've been doing a lot of research on fin and scale shapes, trying to decide if I want to make a tail, and it's been like exposure therapy lol. Here's hoping mermaiding will help us both get past our fears!

I'm new to these boards. Consider this an introduction. I live in the Washington area. King County to be more specific. I learned about this forum from someone I met yesterday and decided to see what it was about. I won't have much to offer in terms of experience, but after reading through a few threads, I've decided that I may stick around and see what the future holds, here.

Hello.

The more the merrier! I was a part of the meet up yesterday, was such fun Glad we could snag another person in the process! You know I really should get business cards for MerNetwork since so many people ask about mermaiding when I'm out an about in mermaid attire :P

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Business cards sound like a great idea. I'd hand 'em out!

Get plastic ones! They're waterproof, so you could carry them with you. I've been in communication with some customer support people here and they're awesome :http://plasticprinters.com

Kinda pricey, but the cool factor is off the charts.

Pricy overrides cool, especially since the admins spend so much out of pocket for this site already :P I'm thinking I'll just print some out on regular paper. Thanks for the idea though

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Hello everyone. I am mermaid echo . My new york family got stationed in lakewood washington. I am new mer and i am in the process of constructing my tail as we speak . I hope I get to meet fellow mers :}

Strangely enough, I didn't meet this mer at an event, she came to me and I provided a solution (hopefully, though I didn't ever hear back about how it went..) to the problem of hanging a fin assembly up for drying. It was neat.

hey guys im kind of new ? not really but i found the pod just now ^^
    im from snohomish close to everette. it would be awsome to have a seattle meet up. or did that already happen??
    Last edited by NixieOona; 06-27-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Welcome to all you lovely new mers! Hopefully I'll have my first tail constructed by the time the next meetup rolls around. I'm getting my monofin in the mail today so its just a matter of getting the rest of my materials.

Nice! My monofin should be in my hands early next week! I can't wait to jump in the pool with it (and hopefully not drown lol).

my moms gonna "surprise" me with a monofin for my birthday (july 3). my brother told me what m gift is. i am so excited you have no idea just a few more days ^^

Fantastic thought , Seals are super cute so at least its not all creepy fishes.lol, Im looking at scales too, I want to do a few boxes small testers to see if i like the patterns, and before i sculpt the entire box , the more testing the less likely i will need to re sculpt it again,I hope. same with the fluke. monster clay is allot different then what im use to working with. whats holding you back from making yours lily ? If its cost i totally get that, boy it adds up.

Partly cost, partly time. I own my own small business selling hand-dyed yarn, and I've been out of commission for a few months due to wrist surgery. I have so much to do for the business - new line, yarn club coming up, fulfilling rewards for my Kickstarter that just finished, and dyeing extra to bring with me to my first ever yarn fair in October. I have 150 lbs of yarn (about 127 miles!) just waiting for me to feel better enough to get to work. I don't trust myself to stick to my work schedule if I'm trying to build a tail at the same time! Hopefully the fair will go well and I'll use the profits to get the materials for my tail!

Lily I hope your wrist gets better soon. that is really neat about the yarn, there are a few ladies who make designer dog clothes, My little Wolfy is a model he loves his sweaters , in fact his last outfit was a crochet mermaid outfit that was a gift. Lots of dogie designers who are looking for the next unique item, and I have not seen hand dyed yet . I sculpt allot of pets and make pet items, so my largest fan base are puppy people, If you ever want to advertise in another market Id be happy to share your work I use face book Kacina's Atelier .. If you want to share there , Iv been on a little vaca so Im just getting back to work hope everything goes really well.

Thanks, Kacina. My surgery was about 8 weeks ago and I'm already doing so much better. Long story short, they had to completely remove one of my tendons Luckily it wasn't a ridiculously important one so I should still have nearly full range of motion. And if the tendon isn't there, it can't possibly hurt anymore, so yay!

I'm on Facebook as well: http://facebook.com/tipsysheepyarn, as well as tipsysheepyarn.com. Obviously I haven't been updating much since surgery but everything should be back to normal in another week or two!

Oh gosh lily, my friend had the same thing happen they removed a tendon near her thumb, thats still quite an ordeal sorry it had to happen, my friend has full motion now so it worked well did you get your monofin yet ? Ill pay a visit on FB .
    and for mermaids and merfolk extending an invitation to https://www.facebook.com/groups/248401188698814/
    Washington Mermaid pod and merfolk

The whole surgery thing is a big long story, which I probably shouldn't hijack this thread with. You can read all about it here: http://www.tipsysheepyarn.com/blog/?p=377

My monofin is out for delivery today!!! So excited!