Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Do mermaids really care for the environment?

Seahorse Mystery,
    thanks for writing that... I sometimes miss meat, but when I am thinking about it, it is only because of the taste (=salty, hot, etc.), not because of the meat texture. I also agree that people can go vegan a be healthy...
    Thanks for the movies, I will definitely try to watch those.
    " How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean." - Arthur C. Clarke

Meant to quote seahorse Mystery in my last post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See here's the thing. I completely respect the fact that there are vegans (scientifically being vegan does help the planet more than you can think) and i also respect the fact that there are omnivores (i refuse to use the term meat eaters; we're not carnivores) who, when they do eat meat, try to think of the environment (where they get it from, reduce their impact by recycling, eating less of the meat, planting trees, not dumping toxic shit down the drain).

What i don't respect is someone forcing their ideologies onto someone just because their way of life doesn't fit in with another's way of life. in places where we can make the choice, we can jump on board for that. in some areas, and sometimes some situations, we can't. With all due respect on your part Seahorse (and i do acknowledge the impact you have on the planet by going vegan) I don't think it's right to say to someone "your way of living is wrong" without understanding the other's situations first; where they live, the climate they're in, laws being enforced, what food do they have readily accessible, financial situation, if they import their food, how much it costs, if they have the ability to hunt for their food (not for sport), edit: if they can even grow their own food in the first place ...

We don't have to love animals the way you do, but we all have a responsibility to the planet and every single choice that we make still counts for something.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Kishiko, Did I say I was judging you? Did I call you a bad person? Remember, most vegans were once like you, eating animals And unaware of what we're doing to this world and other species. I was once a horrible person.

The difference between how we factory farm animals, subjecting them to a life of torture and killing them while they are still babies is FAR from how nature works.

Watch the movies I mentioned, then come back to this thread.

This planet and humanity is not going to last much longer if we continue our lives like this.
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 04-29-2015 at 10:01 AM.

If anyone wants to talk to me, just message me. I am not gonna debate everything here. Watch the movies. Just do it.

Hmmm...this is an interesting subject for me. I believe that some mermaids care for our environment, but in my experience, most people just want to be pretty.

For me, my personal cause is sustainable seafood. I live in Louisiana, and seafood is an important part of our culture. I have many friends who fish both recreationally and commercially. When you depend on your environment for food, there is a greater need and concern to protect it.

I grew up on the bayou. When I go fishing, I release animals that do not meet the size required for consumption. And when we go crabbing, we release small crabs and females to help keep population numbers up. Limits are placed each year for the number of fish that a fisherman or commercial fishery can catch in a day or a season. They even rotate out what areas fishing is allowed in to help prevent overfishing. The money from fishing and hunting licences goes to the department of Wildlife and Fisheries for maintaining more land as wildlife preserve.

Being vegan isn't the only way to protect our environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse Mystery View Post
    Did I say I was judging you? Did I call you a bad person? Remember, most vegans were once like you, eating animals And unaware of what we're doing to this world and other species. I was once a horrible person.

The difference between how we factory farm animals, subjecting them to a life of torture and killing them while they are still babies is FAR from how nature works.

Watch the movies I mentioned, then come back to this thread.

This planet and humanity is not going to last much longer if we continue our lives like this.
    No you didn't judge me per say but you were judging others based on their responses to the OP. When i wrote the response i kept it in mind. I didn't think you said anyone was a bad person for doing so either. i wasn't accusing you of anything besides being a bit judgey (it's ok, we all are at some point, myself included.)

But back on topic though, i have watched cowspiracy and don't deny any of the fact mentioned. I was at a SeaShepherd event in Toronto actually when we were discussing it actually. But my opinion hasn't changed really because it doesn't discuss where others live and what situation they're in.To be fair though i have been avoiding factory meats and i cut pork out of my diet fully (never really had goat or lamb or sheep). In well developed countries where we're a bit wealthier and we can make sustainable choices or even go vegan or make a transition is awesome. some places don't have the ability to do so. (colder climates anyone, and import costs for fresh veggies anyone?)
    Like i said, responsibility to the planet and every single choice that we make still counts for something.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMermaid View Post
    but in my experience, most people just want to be pretty.
    but this is also me lol.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Seaglass, my reply was to Kishiko, not you. Forgot to quote her. O_o

oh lol!! okidokes then :P
    The SeaGlass Siren

I'm just gonna throw this out there, not ALL people can go vegan and remain healthy. Nor is it a lie if they say they can't. My cousin tried going vegan a while back and he was hospitalized for heart palpitations for a while.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    ^ this. My two illnesses make it so I can't metabolize certain things. It either doesn't absorb or does permanent damage to my body. I can't use anything synthetic and many people don't realize meat alternatives are packed with things like synthetic b vitamins. B vitamins that don't come directly through the food are all synthetic. I'd have to eat a whole watermelon every day because I can't metabolize the other fruits or veggies that are high in b. So instead I eat 1 egg a few times a week.

Its very complicated to explain. But I've met with both nutritionist, naturopath's, dietitians, and even 3 different vegan chefs. There is no menu that can incorporate all I need while excluding the foods that do damage to my body.

What I usually settle for is a few meatless days and ethical eating. It is really invalidating when people lecture me ... I suffer in pain a lot. I need to eat some meat to be healthy.

vegetarian in Native American = 'Bad Hunters'

lol

But yeah seahorse mystery, telling someone you aren't judging them, then saying you used to be just like them, that you used to be a terrible person too, is indeed judging them. rather harshly in fact. I've seen what Kishiko has done for animals under her care. I know vegans who wouldn't go through what she did and does to help animals.
    have you ever taken in baby squirrels whose mother abandoned them to raise them until they were old enough to go out on their own? i have, and I'm still fine with shooting a squirrel for dinner.
    Have you ever resuced baby opossums from their dead mothers womb and helped them have full lives? Cause i have.
    Have you ever put a baby alligator to sleep in your arms?
    Bottle fed a baby deer perhaps?
    rescued an owl from a barn fire and helped it get well enough to be released back into the wild?
    Followed a commercial fishing boat with a knife so you can pop all the bladders of the snapper they caught and threw back so the fish can swim back down and not suffocate on the surface?
    Cause i have, and i still think meat tastes good. So don't tell me that because i eat meat doesn't mean i don't love animals. do you know how badly a run over opossum smells? yet i still reached inside the pouch and pulled out every baby. if i didn't love animals, tell me, why would i do that?
    To all you non pushy vegans and vegetarians, I respect your choices.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Do mermaids really care for the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Stone View Post
    vegetarian in Native American = 'Bad Hunters'

lol

But yeah seahorse mystery, telling someone you aren't judging them, then saying you used to be just like them, that you used to be a terrible person too, is indeed judging them. rather harshly in fact. I've seen what Kishiko has done for animals under her care. I know vegans who wouldn't go through what she did and does to help animals.
    have you ever taken in baby squirrels whose mother abandoned them to raise them until they were old enough to go out on their own? i have, and I'm still fine with shooting a squirrel for dinner.
    Have you ever resuced baby opossums from their dead mothers womb and helped them have full lives? Cause i have.
    Have you ever put a baby alligator to sleep in your arms?
    Bottle fed a baby deer perhaps?
    rescued an owl from a barn fire and helped it get well enough to be released back into the wild?
    Followed a commercial fishing boat with a knife so you can pop all the bladders of the snapper they caught and threw back so the fish can swim back down and not suffocate on the surface?
    Cause i have, and i still think meat tastes good. So don't tell me that because i eat meat doesn't mean i don't love animals. do you know how badly a run over opossum smells? yet i still reached inside the pouch and pulled out every baby. if i didn't love animals, tell me, why would i do that?
    To all you non pushy vegans and vegetarians, I respect your choices.
    I'll add a few

Rehabilitated a seagull with a broken wing?

Bandaged and cared for a duck who's head was eaten open until it fully healed and now lives with our flock?

Raised abandoned birds until they were strong enough to be released?

Dropper fed and watered a ferret with a stomach tumor, a very common condition that kills most ferrets, and actually saved it life?

Docked a kittens broken, infected tail and pulled maggots out of it so it wouldn't die of infection?

Drained and bandaged a turkey's eye, tore open by another animal, and flushed it daily with saline to keep out infections until it healed shut?

How about rescuing Cargill turkey rejects that otherwise would've been killed?

Almost monthly healing, dropper feeding, bandaging, disinfecting , etc injured chickens that could easily be left alone and replaced?

^^ All things my family and I have done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kishiko; 04-29-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Reminder to everyone to please discuss things respectively.

If things become too heated I'll be forced to intervene.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yeah I feel like loads of people gave their reasonings about why they can care about the environment and still eat meat earlier on in the thread and the posts were maybe skimmed or ignored. Like I said in my first post... I feel like the title of this thread gives the wrong implication. it's like if we don't fit this certain standard of eating we don't care!

If you wanna talk about what the thread title says... there are some well known mermaids who 100% do NOTHING for the environment. In fact, their businesses practices are harmful to the environment. And yet they exploit the idea of environmentalism in catch phrases and interviews and weirdly photoshopped pics with bad text. For some people and some mermaids 'green' is just a buzzword that might attract them a few extra clients or a little bit of attention. It's not something they actually believe in.

I think anything people do for the environment is great. It doesn't have to be on a scale. But I do get very fustrated by people who flat out exploit the idea. you dont HAVE to be a mermaid and care about the environment honestly! There's no shame in just wanting to be a performer! Just dont pretend to care if you don't. Or maybe you do care but don't intend to use your position as a mermaid to do things for the environment. That's ok too. To me it just all comes down to honest.

Every step forward is a good step. Whether it's Raven recycling old tails so there's less silicone waste, to the mermaids in Cali hosting a beach cleanup. To Hannah running a campaign to stop shark slaughter, to us teaching some kids about recycling. Maybe you recycle and up cycle your mermaid accessories! It's all freaking good folks

^ that moment when you know who raina is talking about. *popcorn*
    The SeaGlass Siren

Just... wow! This went from a peaceful, friendly, educational discussion to heated and judgmental in a hurry. Out of respect for this forum and the wonderful people here I won't go into a rant to the things that Seahorse Mystery has said, but I will say that I found it quite offensive... and for no good reason. I am one of those people who CAN'T go vegan due to health issues. My body doesn't metabolize the majority of the foods that are on the vegan menu, (anyone's vegan menu). I cannot eat things such as lettuce or any other leafy veggie because they make me horribly sick and leave me in terrible pain. I suffer from IBS and the only effective treatment is to avoid all foods that cause flareups. Grains and leafy vegetables are the absolute worst. I miss a lot of the foods I used to be able to eat, and it's terribly depressing to not be able to sit down and eat a salad when I get the craving for one. But, if I don't abide by my strict dietary limitations I basically live with constant pain and in the bathroom, unable to go anywhere or do anything. It is truly debilitating. I won't argue this with anyone, but would like others to fully understand that we ALL have our own challenges in life and that doesn't make anyone "terrible" or "wrong" or "bad". It is unfair to judge people unless you've lived in their shoes with their issues, first hand. IF, Seahorse Mystery, you choose to judge me anyway, that will just have to be your problem because I will not allow you to make it mine.
    One other thing I'd like to say. Part of taking care of this planet and living an environmentally responsible life is accepting things as nature has created them. Nature created the food chain, people didn't do that. People are not born vegan anymore than lions, tigers, whales, dolphins, and a wide variety of fish, etc. were born vegan. We often hear the rants about how people are destroying this planet, but I have seen so much of it that is also misplaced blame and anger. Changing what is naturally made interferes with the planet just as much as exploiting things/animals/etc. Artificial everything is not the answer either, and artificial also interferes with the natural makeup of things. If we really want to get technical about it, human population, in and of itself, is destroying this planet. So does that mean to be environmentally responsible we need to start enacting human population control? (see how ridiculous that sounds?) We, as a species, NEED to work on a better solution to agricultural issues, but we cannot eliminate agriculture on a whole simply because people would starve. As it is, people around the world are already starving. Agricultural issues came to be for 2 primary reasons. #1 and foremost is the battle of world hunger, and a close 2nd to that is greed.
    Native Americans lived here for thousands upon thousands of years, as omnivores, and there were no environmental issues way back in our history. We hunted and ate bison and deer and fish, and yet there was nothing inhumane about it, the animals were not exploited, nor were their populations ever endangered. Everything was balanced and remained that way. We took care of our planet and it took care of us. Everyone and everything thrived. Then introduce "sport hunting" that decimated entire species... and the food supply dwindled. The very people who decimated the native animals on this continent were also the same ones who brought non native animals here with them, and began the agricultural era in this country. Suddenly it wasn't about hunting and living off the land, caring for it as it cared for us, but it became about raising this, raising that, and selling it to others for profit. It became about limiting food supplies for certain groups of people so as to force them to purchase and participate in the new agricultural era and line the pockets of those who started it, and it just grew into a wild eyed monster from there.
    We all need to learn acceptance as much as we need to learn anything else. There will always be good and at the same time there will always be evil. It is the balance of nature. There is no way to eradicate either without wiping out everything. As our planet and all of it's animal inhabitants have tried to teach us by example, adaptation is the secret to survival. When we fail to or are no longer able to adapt, then we, too, will become extinct.
    Most important is to realize that laying blame, pointing fingers, and judging others is not going to fix any problem we face. Those things tend to only compound the existing problems and create new ones. If we truly wish to honor and respect our environment and all that it is made from, then we need to learn to find a way to coexist in peace, with each other and with our planet and all it holds. Raping our planet's natural resources is causing FAR more damage than the agricultural industry, so I would have to ask anyone who judges others based on their diet, do you drive a car? Use rubber or plastic anything? Flush a toilet? Use/wear synthetic clothing/fabric? If you can answer yes to ANY of those things, then whether or not you choose to acknowledge it... you, too, are contributing to the problems that you accuse others of, based solely on their diet. Where I come from that is called a hypocrite and is frowned upon. There really is no difference in being cruel to an "animal" or a "person" because in the end, we are ALL animals. To claim superiority over others because you respect 1 species of animal but not another... yeah... that doesn't work so well.

^ that's also something i wanted to mention but left out because i didnt now how to tie it all in.
    The SeaGlass Siren

I'll echo what Cascada, Raina, and Betta said. I am absolutely devoted to animal welfare. My education, my career both past and present, my art, and my life all revolve around the animal world. But because of several medical conditions (one of which periodically becomes life-threatening), I just can't eat the protein sources that most vegans rely on. My diet is incredibly restricted. If I could safely be vegan, I would do so in a heartbeat. But I can't, so here's what I do instead: The meat products that my husband and I consume all come from cruelty free farms. The produce we buy is organic, and during the summer months, locally grown. We research and shun GMO products. All of the skin care products we use are cruelty-free and have not been tested on animals. We only buy sustainably harvested fish, and we check Seafood Watch everywhere we travel to determine what's ecofriendly and what isn't. (I really hate eating fish at all, because there is no compassionate way to catch fish. Or at least, commercial fishing operations don't use them.) And we keep our eye on the bigger picture, which means that everyday, we do what we can to avoid injuring wild habitats and to help heal, and fund those who heal, our fragile planet. Many of the pro mers on MN expend a huge amount of energy, time, and financial resources to educate children and the general public about animal welfare and aquatic habitat conservation. Some of us eat meat.

The point isn't to conform to any one person or group's very detailed blueprint about how a mer should live his or her life. The point is for each of us to care about natural resources, about animals, about the oceans, and for each of us to do something to benefit life on earth. What precisely each person does is an individual choice based on motivation, philosophy, and ability - especially ability.

Let the judging cease.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!