Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Syren Studios - do you hear the syren song?

Syren Studios - do you hear the syren song?

Hey everyone! I've got my etsy shop up and running! For now I am selling hair accessories, but soon will be adding tops and tails!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/syrenstudios

Here is what is currently available:

Last edited by Lily; 04-22-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Oops, the banner should have been a link. Fixed!

All right, I am officially opening up for tail orders! For a limited time, I'll be offering full silicone tails at a base price of $1800!

Here are the styles I'm offering so far:

Phoebe: Inspired by the betta fish, the large Phoebe fluke is flowy and delicate.

Nymph:
    The nymph is a truly classic mermaid shape, inspired by the works of John Williams Waterhouse.

Scylla: Inspired by the movie She-Creature, the Scylla fluke is rough and mysterious.

Pricing info can be found HERE

Ordering info can be found HERE

More photos of my work can be seen at

https://www.facebook.com/SyrenStudiosTails
    http://instagram.com/SyrenStudios

as well as in my tailmaking thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-Silicone-Tail (note, this shows the Phoebe fluke and fins in progress, as the others are still being sculpted)
    Last edited by Lily; 07-27-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Your first tail is so beautiful! I can't wait to see what else you create for lucky mermaids!

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Why am I so poor?

There will be very happy mermaids soon. Your work is phenomenal!

Just my honest opinion but I kind of feel you are rushing things because you only did one tail so far and you should take more time and practice to make everything flawless. However, I'm all for new successful tailmakers so I say good luck!

I hope it will go well for you

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    Just my honest opinion but I kind of feel you are rushing things because you only did one tail so far and you should take more time and practice to make everything flawless. However, I'm all for new successful tailmakers so I say good luck!

I hope it will go well for you
    I agree. I have personal bad experiences with tailmakers jumping the bandwagon to early.
    That doesn't mean I don't like your tail or believe it's bad, It's really pretty, but one bad review means a lot in this community.

Go for it, Lily! Tailmaking isn't really hard if you have special effects experience and common sense. Its just time consuming. ^_^ Your first tail was beautiful and I wish you luck! (I'm in a similar boat as you. Haha.)

Accepting Custom Silicone Tail Orders For $1400!
    Slots Taken: 3/3

On Facebook - Custom Orders - Etsy

Be careful about taking on too much work at once. Your quality will divebomb if your work is rushed, and you'll have a lot of angry customers at your door. You might want to consider starting a waitlist to get fewer customers or doing some "at-cost" tails until you can find a way to make your tails in a timely manner (as well as building a portfolio of tails for future clients to ogle). Keep in mind, you are competing with the big guys that are churning out tails of similar quality a lot faster than you. Your selling point is your high quality and your low cost. Now you have to build an audience of loyal fans by making more tails and accessories.

Before I go off on another marketing rant, see this one thread that I bombarded a little while ago.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

I have to agree with all the comments above, especially Celeste's comment; create a nice varied body of work to fill a portfolio. That way you and potential customers can really get an in-depth look at what you are capable of in regard to making custom tails. And how much work at a time you are able to take on.
    Really truly, I'm looking forward to seeing what other amazing tails you make, and I hope to be a customer, too!!
    XOXO

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidCelesteFL View Post
    Be careful about taking on too much work at once. Your quality will divebomb if your work is rushed, and you'll have a lot of angry customers at your door. You might want to consider starting a waitlist to get fewer customers or doing some "at-cost" tails until you can find a way to make your tails in a timely manner (as well as building a portfolio of tails for future clients to ogle). Keep in mind, you are competing with the big guys that are churning out tails of similar quality a lot faster than you. Your selling point is your high quality and your low cost. Now you have to build an audience of loyal fans by making more tails and accessories.

Before I go off on another marketing rant, see this one thread that I bombarded a little while ago.
    This. X3

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Yes I would suggest doing an at cost tail for someone who is already a good friend. I know you're getting a lot of negative responses which sucks but we have seen even SUPER talented start to drown when they take too many orders before they get a "factory system" down, plus there WILL be issues you did not expect in your first few tails. I have yet to see a tailmaker who did not experience this, including the "big guys". And it is true--in this community it doesn't take much to get a bad rep. People invest their hearts and their money into silicone tails and they will have expectations that are very high if you charge for their tail. They will expect tails equal in quality to Raven and FinFolk and such even though they know in their logical mind that you are new to tail making. Unfortunately FX experience does not really teach you the stuff you really need to know to make tails because we use our tails much differently than special effects people would or cosplayers would. They have to last. The tails in H2O had to have their resin scales repaired regularly-they weren't built for true mers, just for TV.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

I appreciate everyone's concern and advice - truly, I do. But I can do this, you guys. I am a self-employed artist and no stranger to set-backs, screw-ups, hard work, and deadlines. I know how to budget time, work with clients, and push myself to bring projects to life.

I will happily do one or two at-cost tails (perhaps of those two new sculpts, if someone is interested) to prove my skills and build a portfolio, but if I can't turn tailmaking into an actual profitable business within the next 3-6 months I will have to abandon it altogether because I honestly can't go that long without income. I am taking a hiatus from other projects to see if Syren Studios can be a real business, because being a tailmaker full time is pretty much the best job I can imagine.

I can do this. Just give me a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I appreciate everyone's concern and advice - truly, I do. But I can do this, you guys. I am a self-employed artist and no stranger to set-backs, screw-ups, hard work, and deadlines. I know how to budget time, work with clients, and push myself to bring projects to life.

I will happily do one or two at-cost tails (perhaps of those two new sculpts, if someone is interested) to prove my skills and build a portfolio, but if I can't turn tailmaking into an actual profitable business within the next 3-6 months I will have to abandon it altogether because I honestly can't go that long without income. I am taking a hiatus from other projects to see if Syren Studios can be a real business, because being a tailmaker full time is pretty much the best job I can imagine.

I can do this. Just give me a chance.

How much is an at cost tail, because I may have a friend who is interested then?

Quote Originally Posted by Maethor View Post
    How much is an at cost tail, because I may have a friend who is interested then?
    PMing you!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    I think what people really mean is that, unfortunately, it is going to be difficult to find anyone who isn't a newer mer to give you that chance at first, not because we don't believe you are absolutely capable of making an awesome career of this but rather because we have seen HORRIBLE tragedies happen where tailmakers that seemed super trustworthy and awesome took people for thousands and thousands of dollars, not because they were scammers but because they got in over their heads and decided to run. It has happened SO many times and reading the threads can bring tears to your eyes. People's entire savings were wiped out, all their mermaid dreams destroyed... We have seen some REALLY bad stuff happen in this community. There are a few people--Pearlie Mae is really the only example I can think of--who spent SO long documenting every step of their tail making journeys over multiple years (including the many, many failures that happened to them) that people are more trusting of. But her tail making process was something like two years long and she ran into tons of problems that she fixed. Problems that would have happened to a client's tail had she taken orders within just a few months. It's not you personally that people are referring to, it's just a general fear because of all the scars of what has happened before. We WANT you to succeed and we have seen other people fail badly because they moved too soon on selling tails, ruining their reputations forever. One bad review is more powerful than ten good reviews. So please, don't take any of the comments personally. We just don't want to see anymore sad happenings and want to try and protect both tailmakers and buyers. You absolutely deserve a chance... But unfortunately because of what has happened in the past it would help your business times a thousand to make a few more tails before selling them, if nothing else than for the comfort of your target niche who has been sooo badly hurt before.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Your work is absolutely gorgeous. If I hadn't already ordered my tail I would totally put my faith in you to have one of your tails. I just love, love, love the scale design and the overall look of of your tail. I know it's the only one you've made, but the fact that your first one turned out so well should be a testament to you knowing a good amount about what your doing. Sure mistakes will happen and such, but I've seen Tail-makers who have been doing this for a few years making mistakes. But alas I do not have the funds T-T. I wish you the best of luck with this and hopefully one day I can buy one of your tails (as it is my goal to own many tails form many amazing tail-makers). I look forward to seeing your work and I really want to see what the scylla fluke looks like once it's created.

expect an email from me
    The SeaGlass Siren