Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painted Spandex Tail

Senior Member North Pacific Pod LindseyLu's Avatar

Painted Spandex Tail

Hi guy! This was failry popular in the meryuku forum so I thought I'd bring it on over! This is a spande tail I made recently for my bf's little girl Bella. She is getting it this weekend so I will have more pics posted shortly with her in the tail and in the pool!!!

Name:  FxCam_1295133366327.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  29.7 KB
    I let her try it on before I painted it to make sure it fit! Fit's like a glove!!!

Name:  IMG_20110522_133218.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  90.7 KB
    Here's the final tail after the paint job!

Name:  IMG_20110522_131640.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  91.9 KB
    A close up of the glittery scale design!

Name:  IMG_20110522_132134.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  60.3 KB
    Side angle of the finished fluke!

Name:  IMG_20110522_133411.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  61.6 KB
    Another angle!

Name:  IMG_20110509_130903.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  55.2 KB
    Close up of some of the details!

If you are interested, here is how to make the scale pattern:

1. First, once the tail is sewn together (as yours is) you stuff it full of whatever you can find. I used old sheets... I shreded them first so there wouldnt be any bulges, than stuff the tail. This way the paint won't look different after you put the tail on, nor will it cause an issue with the paint cracking!

2. Next you will need fishnet stalkings. Because this is a childs tail I was able to use an old pair I had. You cut the toes off, and you cut at the top of the thigh, you end up with a fishnet tube. For an adult size tail I recommend buying some plus size stalking online, the bigger the better. SPANX makes great stalkings because they are almost impossible to tear, but they are more expensive (but worth it). Slide the stalking tube over the tail, pin the stalkings to the fluke to keep them in place. Now you are ready to paint!

3. I used tulip brand spray paint. If your tail is black neoprene do not use this paint, it doesn't show up well...even the white, I've tried several tests. Use the appropriate paint and an airbrush gun. If your tail is spandex this paint will work like a charm! Spray your desired colors all over the tail in the design of your choice. Do one side one day and the other side the next. Otherwise, the paint could smear as you are flipping the tail around.

4. Once the tail is completely painted and you have given it a couple days to dry you can remove the fishnet. If you are 100% sure the paint is dry you can slip the netting off. You will now see what I call your base pattern. You will have a great fishy look, so it's time to do some fine deatiling. Be creative, add extra colors in certain spots or outline the scales...whatever you want!

Hope this helps!
    More pics to come next week!!!
    Last edited by LindseyLu; 07-23-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: adding info

Has it been swam in much? Curious how the paint holds up in the water, especially after multiple uses.

I'm surprising her with the finished tail this Saturday so no, it hasn't gone for a swim yet. The paint I used is supposed to work like a dye so I'm anticipating it to hold up for a while! The dark blue definitely dyed the fabric, but we'll see about the white The glitter will obviously need periodic touch ups...but lucky for her I've got enough glitter to cover that thing a hundred times!!! : D. I'll keep you posted on how it handles next week!

Ohh take pictures I would love to see her face when she gets it

Oh you bet Lanai, there will be pictures galore!!! I don't think she has any idea, so it will be quite the surprise! She obviously know she's getting is eventually, but it's been a long wait so this weekend will be a total shocker! For now all the pics and vids I will have will be topside...but within the next few weeks we will be doing an underwater video. I just purchased an waterproof camera case today from Amazon, so I'll be sure to share that as well!!!!! YAY!!!!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    Yay! I'm so excited both for her and for myself because soon we'll be able to see pictures! This is such a lovely tail and made with such good intentions behind it.

I feel exactly the same Taylor! I can't wait for tomorrow!!!!! Promise I'll post LOTS of pics to enjoy!!!

^Yayz and thanks I cant wait to see !!

Ugh...thanks to our lovely Oregon weather Bella's not getting her tail today The weatherman claims the rain will stop within a few days...fingers crossed!!!!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Taylor is a Mermaid's Avatar
    BAH! I guess it would be immature of me to throw a fit. XP Well, let's hope things clear up soon.

@LindseyLu Just a quick question, where did you get the tail fringes, or did you make them yourself..

Looks good I want to see more pics
    I was born a fish!

One of my favorite tails
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLanai View Post
    @LindseyLu Just a quick question, where did you get the tail fringes, or did you make them yourself..
    Actually I hand fringed the tail with the extra material I had after sewing in the monofin I wanted it to have a special and unique look so I didn't want to use a store bought fringe... It was time consuming, but totally worth it!

FINALLY!!!!!!! We have more pictures!!!! I would first like to let you all know, Bella is just learning how to swim so I couldn't get any really great shots of her mermaiding. I did do my best to get some underwater pictures, but the water was really foggy!!!

The entire experiance of giving her her tail was spectacular! She was totally blown away when she saw it! And when we went up to the pool, you could hear everyone whispering "look, omg, it's a mermaid!!!!". It was magical, seeing Bella so happy was an amazing experience for me. It is truly a gift to be able to make a childs dreams come true. I hope you all enjoy the pics we took, stay tuned for more!!!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  25.9 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  37.3 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  42.8 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  13.9 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  20.6 KB
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  38.8 KB
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  35.7 KB
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  37.0 KB
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  43.3 KB
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  15.JPG
Views: 1480
Size:  114.9 KB
    Name:  16.JPG
Views: 1419
Size:  101.0 KB
    Name:  17.JPG
Views: 1472
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  18.JPG
Views: 1440
Size:  107.1 KB
    Name:  19.JPG
Views: 1393
Size:  110.2 KB
    Name:  20.JPG
Views: 1389
Size:  92.8 KB

^wow good to know, I see with all the work you put into it, im sure its one big labor of love, especially when you saw the look on her face

Oh she's so cute! And the tail looks amazing on her and amazing in general

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    how adorable! she's like a little mini Hannah Fraser how awesome! Start em young!

Wow, you did such an amazing job on this tail and she looks super excited and amazing in it!

Awe thanks Jewel!! Now I just need to fly you up here so you can teach her how to swim like you!!!