I'm reaching the point where I can start assembling my tail and I'm having a hell of a time with glue. I'm using a Finis Competitor monofin (made of fiberglass), and I'm going to be making a sheath for it out of powermesh. Then I'll glue the sheath to the monofin, leaving lengthwise strips unglued that will become drainage channels. Then I'm going to brush my fluke fin halves with silicone and press them into the fin/mesh. The silicone should wrap around the unglued mesh, effectively sticking it to the fin, and I'll use a ruler or something to keep the drainage channels from sealing closed.

The problem I'm having is glue! I tested a patch using e6000 and the silicone wouldn't cure on top of it. Gorilla Glue didn't dry properly on top of the fiberglass and cracked the second I flexed the fin. I got Dap auto/marine silicone sealant but it doesn't stick to anything at all. I've been reading up on the "lace method," which I guess is pretty similar to what I'm trying, but no one seems to mention what kind of glue they use. I know PearlieMae has had success with Poly Zap, but I can't seem to find it locally and I don't think it's approved for fiberglass.

I've contacted 3M, Loctite, and Smooth-On, who've all said they don't have a product specifically recommended for this (waterproof, chlorine-proof for pool swimming, bonds fiberglass and fabric, won't inhibit silicone). Actually, one Smooth-On rep said their silpoxy would work, and another said it wouldn't so...

Has anyone out there had success with what I'm trying? Even if those companies don't recommend a product, have you found one that works? At this point I've been testing glues for 3 days and am sort of losing my mind.