Thread: not a mermaid, but how about hippocampi?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Question not a mermaid, but how about hippocampi?

Doesn't have to do with mermaids, buuuut can anyone think of media with hippocampi? (aka 'merhorses'). I know there's a Percy Jackson movie with one. I don't know if that series is even worth my time so I haven't seen it lol. (Graphics look iffy and I hate the hippoc's design anyway.)
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 04-26-2015 at 05:24 PM.

I know there's hippocampi in Las Vegas. :P

And there's a hippocampi design game based off of my little pony.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    3D posable hippocampus from DAZ3D

Hippocampus entry at Theoi (though I prefer the ichthyocentaur).

And some concept art from that Percy Jackson movie:
    Name:  pjhippocampus.jpg
Views: 7730
Size:  91.8 KB
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

^^ wow that's awesome :o
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Not media, but my favorite jeweler, Not of This Earth Jewels, has a stunning hippocampus necklace:

Name:  NOTE Jewels hippocamp.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  189.8 KB

I believe she's working on a second hippocamp piece right now.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

That looks awesome, Galene! I love seeing other people's favorites.

A google image search brought up quite a few results. Ha! I love the MLP hippocampi.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    And there's a hippocampi design game based off of my little pony.
    The one on Dolldivine? That's where I made my avatar. Or is there a different one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    Name:  NOTE Jewels hippocamp.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  189.8 KB
    If only it weren't so big and dangly!

Ok, first of all, stop what you're doing and go read The Lightning Thief and every other Percy Jackson book out there. Then you may see the movies if you wish (the second one was better than the first, and it tried to make the characters too cool, but it's still fun).

If you like roleplaying games, the Ponyfinder game lets you play as sea horses (closer to kelpies than hippocamps, though), and Cerulean seas has rules for ichthyocentaur player characters.

In architecture (particularly fountains, such as the Trevi Fountain in Rome), Hippocampi are everywhere, and they're commonly seen on Venetian Gondolas as well.

A winged Hippocampus is the symbol of Air France.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    Not quite Hippocamp, buuuut there is 'The water horse' a film based on a book about the loch ness monster. I love the design of the 'Kelpie' in this film and it's a magical movie if you haven't seen it already!

Name:  The_Water_Horse_Poster.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  813fd987461fe0d06ee20befe5346a86.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  10.9 KB

And there's Ariel's 'Wild Seahorse' Stormy from TLM tv series

Name:  Stormytop.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  68.7 KB

The Mermaid Of Anglesey

Find me on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Angleseymer...homepage_panel

Formerly known as Merman Vaughan...now I'm a mermaid heh.

'The Water Horse' is complete and utter trash. Don't get me started. I can never gain back the time I spent watching it.

Altho that does remind I still need to find the book that movie is based on.
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 04-26-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse Mystery View Post
    The one on Dolldivine? That's where I made my avatar. Or is there a different one?
    Nope that the same one :O

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I've always liked the idea of waterhorses, kelpies, hippocampi and so on.

Even if they were probably creatures which heads were just reminiscent of horses.
    Elasmosaur is a good candidate for this, and for the "sea serpents" that are said to have a camel- or horse-like head.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse Mystery View Post
    'The Water Horse' is complete and utter trash. Don't get me started. I can never gain back the time I spent watching it.
    I liked it, but it was clearly intended for small children and thus overly cutesified.
    I had to watch the Nessie horror flick where the saurs run around and eat dozens of annoying people to sooth my nerves afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I've always liked the idea of waterhorses, kelpies, hippocampi and so on.
    Even if they were probably creatures which heads were just reminiscent of horses.
    Elasmosaur is a good candidate for this, and for the "sea serpents" that are said to have a camel- or horse-like head.
    I liked it, but it was clearly intended for small children and thus overly cutesified.
    It wasn't just the plot, it was some of the inconsistencies involving the Loch. Yes, it's a movie, but when you're swimming on that thing's back and the water tends to be average in the 40s, something should be going wrong! Research involving Nessies is one of my big things. While the idea that Nessies are some kind of dinosaur is pretty popular, the 'long-necked seal' theory (or whatever you want to call it) is a lot more feasible. (Or if you don't like either of those, there is one researcher who believes Nessies are a kind of giant worm called Tullimonstrum, which has been found so far only in Illinois: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullimonstrum)

and just for the hell of it, here's my fav evidence of Nessies, which isn't very well known. It's a sonar image from the boat, Rival III, during a 1970s expedition at Loch Ness. http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-conten...S-1024x721.jpg