Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Adorable silicone sea creatures on Etsy!

Posting anything is terrifying, but I may just be a little paranoid; I've never actually had anything go horribly wrong. I've mailed a couple stingrays to friends as birthday presents and such. One just went elsewhere in Washington, one went to Canada, and one went to India, and they all got there fine! Although the overseas ones took a week or two to get there, and I might look into better international shipping options than USPS. We'll see.

I'll list the tops as soon as I can, I just want to make sure they're really good before I do! My first one was actually really heavy because I made it before I figured out an easy way to cast the silicone thinner. I mean, silicone is heavy, no getting around that, but it doesn't have to be TOO heavy. I also figured out a better way to hide the little gaps between the kelp blades where the bra shows through (on mine I just painted it over with green silicone), and I might be able to add some custom strap options as well, but that's what I need to test out on my friends' new tops and see how well it works.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    OMG, THAT TOP!

It's so original, and I love that it looks like real kelp. I would be interested in one of those too...

Glad you like I at first thought I'd messed it up because I didn't measure the length of the kelp blades when I sculpted them and so a couple of them weren't *quiiiite* long enough to cover the whole bra cup when I stuck them on (I had to do some creative rearranging). Then I realized I can just make a few extra blades by themselves and add them where I need extra coverage. And since I figured out how to make them thinner and lighter, adding a few extra pieces here and there shouldn't make them too much heavier. Also that way I should be able to make them to fit just about any size bra, just by adding as many extra blades as I need to. I'm going to be working on that today and testing that out. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Holy shell that top Amazing!!!!
    Frosty Mermaid from the lonely Lapland <3

* Etsy * Youtube * Facebook * Instagram *

Wait until you see the new one I'm making, it already looks much better than the first one!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Rillia's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Rillia on Facebook
    Can't wait to see your other tops. And your little stingrays in the middle is adorable!
    User formerly known as "Mermaid Brooke".

Mermaid Rillia

Thank you! The new tops I'm making now are still kelp tops, but they're going to look a lot nicer and more refined than my first one. I wanted to perfect them before offering them for sale. I may sculpt another type of top at some point, but I don't know when yet.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    My critters came! I love them so much!

Here's what I did with my ray:
    Name:  20150430_174630.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  77.1 KB

I named him Pod, since he's my new sea squire, and he perches on my wrist like a falcon.

Thank you so much, Cyanea!!

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

How cute!(:

Omg yay!!! You're very welcome, I'm so glad you like them!!! And that is the coolest wrist decoration I have ever seen!

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of Cali
    That's rad!

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Love all the little rays <3

O hay guise. Sorry for my lack of updates. I fail terribly at social media :P I've been working on kelp tops for my top-testers. After I've finished and sent off those ones I'll be listing the kelp tops for sale, but I figured I should post something here to show you guys what I've been up to. This is my second finished kelp top, and I'm very proud of it! I think it's already a million times better than my first one. It's already with its new owner and she's going to be swim-testing it this weekend, so hopefully there will be some pics of that too!

Name:  kelp top pic.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  813.8 KB

I also just finished another little critter sculpt and I'm gonna mold him tomorrow

It's so beautiful!!!
    That kind of seaweed is really common here, it would look very natural to swim with one.

Thank you! I was definitely going for a natural look, and I love this species of kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera). I'd been wanting to make a top based on it for about two years before I finally did!

No, I was wrong.
    I was referring to this one, with bubbles you can pop. Hehe.

I love that one too! I actually really want to make some of that kind as well, to make or embellish tops with. I don't know what you call it there but here I think we call it bladderwrack.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Oh my gosh... it is just gorgeous! Is there a way to line up outside an Etsy store? I'd camp out, lol!

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    I love that one too! I actually really want to make some of that kind as well, to make or embellish tops with. I don't know what you call it there but here I think we call it bladderwrack.
    We call it "Blåstång" in Swedish, which is basically the same thing as bladderwrack. "Blåsa" is bladder or blister, and tång is seaweed. (Or pliers)