Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texturizing With Dragonskin

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook

Texturizing With Dragonskin

I was looking at the sweatshirt I use when working with Dragonskin and noticed that when just a small amount soaks in it still looks black (like the shirt) but is a raised ridge. I was wondering if anyone has used this to try and texturize a printed spandex tail to give it a more 3D look and feel. I was thinking about doing this to my Mertailor Eco-tail and was wondering if anyone has had success with it. I wouldn't be covering the fabric or anything, just sort of speck long on texture. What do you guys think? Better idea than using paint to texturize? (I have a ton of Dragonskin lying around, lol!)

also has anybody sewn very thin silicone fins to a spandex tail?
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Okay, I started doing this and it turned out well. The spandex soaked up a TON of Dragonskin (I was smearing purple tinted dragon skin on with my fingers), but once it had sunk in I could I add a second layer to make a sort of "bump". I tried tearing it off with my fingernails this morning (to see how it will hold up if I land arse first in a coral reef like I did last summer when the diver above me descended without looking!) and I couldn't get any to tear or peel off since it was soaked so fully through the spandex. It's VERY shiny, like when you do a thin layer over a thick silicone casting to make it "glossy." I couldn't get a picture that actually showed how it looks, so I am going to try it on the fluke--it should be easier to see it there than the scales. It's nice and slick (like silicone, obviously) and looks really good. It also makes the material feel sturdier, which makes sense as I am basically soaking it in rubber. I also altered my Rapid and sewed it inside the tail, leaving a few small drainage holes. This was my only choice as the Rapid is too big to fit through the top of the tail. The material is stretched pretty tight, but the yellow just makes the purple cloth look brighter. I think you could also do this with the orange eco-tail, but the blue one might show the yellow through or the material might end up looking greenish.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Does the material lose stretchability with the silicone on it?

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Pics!!!! I need pics!!!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Quote Originally Posted by RisingMermaid View Post
    Pics!!!! I need pics!!!
    Me too! I love this idea! Like how some tribes did stuff to their skin to get lizard-like ridges etc.. This could turn out really cool
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Okay, here it is! I wasn't able to create raised scale shapes as it soaked in completely but I WAS able to create ridges on the fluke. It looks SUPER realistic and has GREAT stretch, though it lost a tiny bit. Since the layer is so thin it took me twenty minutes digging my nails into it to get any to peel off, and that was an area I had spread a little too thick and had a bump for me to cut into. I am not sure how well it will hold up but it seems pretty darn sturdy and you can always just smear it with more Dragonskin! This is turning out to be a great inexpensive and light weight option--the 3D shading was realistic to begin with but when paired with the shine and feel of silicone along with the raised texture on the fluke it looks DARN realistic!!! I love it! All the things I wanted from silicone without the weight or price!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  405.1 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  395.9 KB

Sorry about the bad photos I am writing this from my phone and it won't let me upload the good (aka huge) photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    Does the material lose stretchability with the silicone on it?
    A little bit but not a lot! It no longer stretches insanely wide like spandex but it is more than stretchy enough to pull on with ease. The fluke where I layered it on about a quarter inch thick to create ridges is no longer stretchy, but it doesn't need to be!

Add Seatan on Facebook
    I think instead of actually sculpting heel and side fins I will pour a very thin layer of silicone in a cookie sheet and cut out the shapes so they will be very floppy and translucent and not weigh down the fabric--kind of like using shelf liner only in fun pearlescent colors and with whatever texture I want.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Beautiful and innovative!

I tried something similar with caulking, but I was more interested in texturing scales - kind of like what Fifi does - but I wasn't getting the results I wanted so I abandoned it.

This is wonderful! Well you be taking commissions?

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Thank you! No I won't be doing commissions. I am moving to Utila Honduras in the Bay Islands permanently in August to get my SCUBA master instructor certification and yacht first mate certifications, then when I have those I am considering hopping from Utila to the more touristy island of Roaton and starting up a mermaid school for the tourist. Tons of cruises dock there so it would be a fantastic place for a mermaid start up!

I. Love. This!!!!

I am so in love with this. I might try it on my own spandex tail. It looks like it makes it more durable

Add Seatan on Facebook
    I definitely does--I had already made a small hole in it while sewing and fixed that right up with silicone! It's a bit of a messy job (I just spread it with gloved hands) but it's worth it! When I finish the other side I'll take it for a swim and let you know how it feels!

Once I get my sequins tail done, I might give this a try with my Fin Fun! How did you keep the silicone from soaking from one side of the tail to the other and gluing it all together? Did you put it on a form or anything like that?

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    It looks FANTASTIC Seavanna! Very shiny and wet looking. How will you attach the thin fins to the tail without the silicone ripping?

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Princess Pearl the form it is on now is what It was on when I siliconed it. I wrapped my legs with plastic wrap, wrapped that with plastic packing tape (in case the rubber in duct tape might hurt the curing), cut myself out and stuffed it with a pool noodle and stuffing. Then I placed the tail on that form and slathered the silicone on top of that, so it pulls right off once cured.

Keiris, I am actually going to slit the material, slip the fins in, sew the seam then reinforce it with more silicone. Glad you like it! I am reeeeally happy with the outcome so far!!! I am considering siliconing the inside as well (it's already partially siliconed inside in places where it fully sunk through to secure it more and make certain it won't peel at all!

This is just gorgeous! I love how shiny it is!
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    If you lay a piece of tulle into the fins, they won't rip once attached, and the tulle is thin enough that it won't stiffen the fin. Also, turn the tail inside out and coat the inside so the fabric is completely sealed, otherwise you'll set yourself up for pockets that will hold moisture and potentially grow mold.

Looks like a pretty successful experiment! I wonder how it'll swim?

I'm guessing the monofin is not in it while you are covering it with silicone?