Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to be a Mermaid Classes & Camps

How to be a Mermaid Classes & Camps

There are so many camps and classes and things around for aspiring mers to attend and learn from, but they are scattered and not many people seem to know about them or forget after a while. So here is a listing of all the how to be a mer classes and camps I know of, hopefully the list will grow!

MeduSirena
    ~ Information
    ~ Calendar (Occasionally shows a prescheduled lesson)

Weeki Wachee Springs
    ~ Sirens of the Deep Mermaid Camp
    ~ COST: $350
    ~ AGE: 30 years of age and up
    ~ Adventures Under the Spring Mermaid Camp
    ~ COST: ?
    ~ AGE: ? (assuming under 18)
    Unfortunately at this time they do not offer any camps or training for young mer's between 18 and 29. They were very kind in the reply and even reminded me that we are mermaids weather on land or sea. Hopefully they will create a camp for those of us in this missing age group, until then we must wait.

Iara Mandyn
    ~ Training Services

Mermaid Kat (Katrin Felton)
    I saw someone asked on Mermaid Kat's page about her training classes, this is what she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kat (Katrin Felton)
    Hey ((Name removed)), I live in Phuket, Thailand so I give mermaid classes over here. I also travel to give workshops but of course only if transport and accommodation needs to be supplied There are many different variations for the mermaid class. This depends on your skills and needs. However there are always 3 basic sections.
    - Some in-water training (Pool and Open Water)
    - Some Classroom (Theory and Environmental awareness)
    - Some basic Underwater modelling
    - underwater- and on land photoshoot Depending on your strengths some areas might be focused on more than others. If you want a personalized workshop we can always have one to one classes and I could arrange accommodation for you over here in Thailand and if interested also combine it with a scuba diving course to extend your knowledge about the underwater world and give you a different and new angle to the Underwater World. When you are already certified we can also do some fundiving.

The next large workshop will be in November in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) however dates need to be confirmed. But I give also classes for only one or two people. So just let me know when you are planning to come over.

If you have any question please let me know

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Sweet oceankisses...
    http://www.facebook.com/MermaidKat

Although these are not mermaid specific they are excellent to know for several reasons. It is a good selling point for yourself, clients feel safer, you can charge more, it opens the door to a greater variety of opportunities, it helps with your own personal comfort in the water and unknown situations.

~ CPR / First Aid / AED Certified for Adults, Children and Infants (you can easily be trained for all three at your local Red Cross)
    ~ Lifeguard Certified
    ~ SCUBA Certified (List of suggested courses)
    ~ Free Dive Certified
    ~ Rescue Diver
    ~ Current Passport
    ~ Own Salt and/or Fresh water Scuba gear

A great many of the ideas listed here were gleaned from the impressive skills and service list of Linden Wolbert.
    Last edited by Mermaid Sirena; 08-30-2012 at 10:09 AM.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Wow, cool... how many of these classes accept mermen as well? I'm pretty sure Weeki Wachee doesn't.

It was a cool idea to include the others... I try to keep my CPR / First Aid / AED certification up to date, though I left my lifeguard certification behind back in college.

I do keep my passport up to date, and my efforts to ensure my SCUBA certification have been repeatedly thwarted (heh, "thwarted" is such a fun word to say)

I don't see why they wouldn't, email who ever you feel would be the most appropriate, I would think Barbara from the Sirens of the Deep page. She was very helpful and sweet.

I know I need to get re-certified in CPR/First Aid and AED, pretty sure it's been past the two year mark sense I haven't thought about renewing them sense starting college.

Hopefully your attempts at SCUBA shall succeed in the near future

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Sirena, can we submit this for the blog? It would be perfect! Also, can you email me at raina@rainamermaid.com so we can talk about setting you as an admin on the blog too? Thanks babe <3 (I had your email and cant find it and FB pages dont wanna load properly for tonight for some reason)

LOL i just contacted them the other Day about the sirens of the deep camp, I would love to do it, My mother has always loved the weeki wachee mermaids and I figured i might just surprise her in May
    Last edited by New York Mermaid; 12-13-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Not a problem mers! If anyone finds anything weather mermaid specific or just underwater training for safety or modeling post it here or PM me and it will be added to the master list

Ofcourse AniaR this can be added to the blog! I would love to be an admin, messaging you right now

Ofcourse AniaR this can be added to the blog! I would love to be an admin, messaging you right now

Thanks baby doll! I;ll email you tonight or tomorrow, a lot on the go! <3

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I'm sure the Siren's of the Deep mermaid camp would welcome anyone of age. I went early this year and got my certification. I'm 23 and the youngest in our group was 19. In fact, of the 4 of us who went, only one was 30, so just talk to Barbara if you are interested in going. I'm sure they will welcome you. Same with mermen. One of the days we were there, Southern Living came to do an article, and they actually put the guy in a mermaid tail and got him doing some of the things from the camp. They are wonderful at weeki wachee. The first option..... well - let's just say I've heard not too nice of things about. At all

Chesapeake Pod
    Not sure if they still do it...but ShimmerBaby Mermaids use to do mermaid classes, you even got to keep a custom made tail!!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

I thought that was with Dana Mermaid? Did that happen too?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

im actually working on the program for my mermaid class =) im trying to make it cheap and its for little girls and boys. im so excited!
    im working on safety and guardian forms at the moment.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

It is probably too soon to mention this, but we're working on a proposal for a mer-camp at a local resort here in San Diego's North County. I am really excited about it and hope that they take the bait! If so, it would be a spectacular opportunity to introduce young mer-enthusiasts to the world of mermaiding and share some love and knowledge about protecting our oceans. Fins are definitely crossed
    Mermaid Shelly
    www.mermaidshelly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Shelly View Post
    It is probably too soon to mention this, but we're working on a proposal for a mer-camp at a local resort here in San Diego's North County. I am really excited about it and hope that they take the bait! If so, it would be a spectacular opportunity to introduce young mer-enthusiasts to the world of mermaiding and share some love and knowledge about protecting our oceans. Fins are definitely crossed
    That's sounds really exciting! I'm keeping my fins crossed for you too!

actually, mermaid shelly. i was gonna recommend your tails to the students who wanted a "real" tail.
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

still wanna. i say "actually" too much. lol
    my website is here
    instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Odette View Post
    actually, mermaid shelly. i was gonna recommend your tails to the students who wanted a "real" tail.
    Wow! Thank you sweetheart
    Mermaid Shelly
    www.mermaidshelly.com

SireniaSolaris I wish they did but I spoke to Barbra when I first saw the age limit in the class and she confirmed that you had to be 30 to participate this might be a new policy that was instated after your camps. You are very lucky to of been able to attend.

When you ladies get your camps up and going let me know and we can add their information to the mast list!

Wow. That's really strange. I may email her in the new year, when I have some extra time to find out what is up with that. It's a camp that we plan on going to annually, and they had talked about seeing us again, too. I also noticed the price went up by $100!!?? I thought it was a typo here, but the website does indeed say $350 instead of the $250 it cost earlier this year. I will e mail them when I can to try to find out what is going on

Well, I did get to the bottom of it. I was initially going to keep it to myself, but I figured I'd shed an understanding light on it - apparently someone in her 20's did in fact take the camp when it was open to anyone, and right after that, went to a loacal aquarium where weeki wachee mermaids performed a show, undersold them and used her certification as credentials in order to do it. So, since someone used their own certification to steal one of their clients, they decided to not allow anyone the same age as their professional, working mermaids the opportunity that was so taken for granted.

It really steams me up that even in this industry, there are such dishonest, rotten people that ruin nice things for the rest of us. Don't know if it will do any good - they likely won't want to bother with it, but after the New Year, I plan on writing a thoughful letter. Suggesting the possibility of allowing the camp open under the protection of a non-compete contract - basically that in order to take the camp, you'd have to sign a contract stating that you are not permitted to do mermaid work within x amount of miles of weeki wachee. For the people who are serious about just learning or expanding their knowledge in the art, this shouldn't be a problem. And this would give them the peace of mind to know that they will be the only providers in their area, and if any clients are stolen, they will be able to get at least several thousand in lawsuit awards, and likely get their client back. But hopefully it wouldn't come to that - the contract itself should just be the deterrant to any dishonest, rotten people. It's something that is unfortunately a must, these days. My old dance studio needed non-competes, the balloon company I work with, and I even recently had to implement one of my own.

I really don't know that it will happen, but it's a suggestion worth making to them just in case they do consider it. It really was a wonderful camp that I really would like to enjoy yearly BEFORE I'm 30. But in any case, that's what happened and why the particular age group cannot take anything at weeki wachee. Shame on that girl!