Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: <Paypal Policy Changes>

<Paypal Policy Changes>

I don't know if this should be posted elsewhere so I apologize.
    This recently came up on my tumblr and so I looked into it. Paypal is changing their Intellectual Property rule. I can't say I'm the best with law but for so many using Paypal it may be worth looking into.

Intellectual Property

We are adding a new paragraph to section 1.3., which outlines the licence and rights that you give to us and to the PayPal Group (see paragraph 12 below for the definition of “PayPal Group”) to use content that you post for publication using the Services. A similar paragraph features in the Privacy Policy, which is removed by the addition of this paragraph to the User Agreement. The new paragraph at section 1.3 reads as follows:

“When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and the PayPal Group’s use of such content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.”
    You can read it here.

It was basically explained to me as,

"Say you make an art commission to an individual with original characters, or you are selling videos,video games, logo, or books that you made, all that content you sold and had Intellectual rights to through Paypal, even if you copyrighted them or trademarked them, Paypal is trying to say because you used their services THEY now own the rights to it. No where in the writing does it say “unless you had previous trademark or copyrights,” Nope. They are saying they own it regardless, and you are agreeing to them owning your works digitally or physically and future works from these forms of art and characters, they will own it."

^--Explanation is wrong, see information below.
    I also apologize if this was posted already I'm terrible at searching on this site. x.x

EDIT/ADDENDUM:
    I do not understand legal text very well. The way it was explained to me is not necessarily correct. If someone understands this better / can translate it, please do.
    Last edited by Aisling; 05-05-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: updatedx2
    I can still find dawn,
    Upon the days horizon,
    And I can find the stars,
    So my night is ever brightened.
    T U M B L R I N S T A G R A M F A C E B O O K

Im not the best at legalese either, and the only thing I've ever sold through PayPal is taking payment for a birthday party, but what I THINK it says is that if you submit content to PayPal, they can repost it. They do not own the copyright, but they have permission to use your copyrighted works.

This only happens if you actually send something to PayPal. I have never sold anything that required me to submit any intellectual property to PayPal, but I don't think just selling something through them is the same as 'submitting" something.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yeah that's not the correct interpretation. Tumblr always goes crazy lol.
    Its the same as fb, deviantart, twitter etc. Same rules. Its so you can legally use things like your logo on PayPal invoices . I'll find a link that breaks it down better for you and post it but its standard

There is also an updated tumblr post with a lawyer explaining what it means. It's nothing to freak out about. Basically it's saying Paypal can put your logo on their invoices and other Paypal settings and store fronts and you won't sue them.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    ^ this. it's standard. normally on a smaller scale people would individually sign release forms. but since paypal is huge it's easier to have it just built in.

Thank you for the more appropriate translation of legal-text, everyone. <3

I can still find dawn,
    Upon the days horizon,
    And I can find the stars,
    So my night is ever brightened.
    T U M B L R I N S T A G R A M F A C E B O O K