View Poll Results: What kind of mermaid consumer are you?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Commercial Consumer (If pro mermaid, you support yourself almost completely through mermaid income)

6 35.29%
  • Recreational Consumer (You did not pay for your tail)

2 11.76%
  • Cosplay Consumer

9 52.94%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Entering the Tailmaking Market

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Well, I was going to add something clever, but Yulia said it so much better.

The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Yulia View Post
    I don't understand what this is supposed to mean.

This is only further proving the unprofessional attitude of the mermaids here. I really do not appreciate people not taking my comments seriously because I am serious.

Yulia, your gofund me link is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by teeth4u View Post
    This is only further proving the unprofessional attitude of the mermaids here. I really do not appreciate people not taking my comments seriously because I am serious.

Yulia, your gofund me link is broken.
    We ARE taking you seriously. The thing is, you are taking yourself too seriously. If you don't think there is money to be made in the mermaid market, fine. Don't make mermaid tails or items. You won't be missed. There is more to mermaiding than SELLING stuff to merfolk. If you just came here to see if you could profit from the mercommunity, then you are not Merfolk.

Maybe you could hawk your talents to a more consumer-based community more willing to part with their cash.

I wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    We ARE taking you seriously. The thing is, you are taking yourself too seriously. If you don't think there is money to be made in the mermaid market, fine. Don't make mermaid tails or items. You won't be missed. There is more to mermaiding than SELLING stuff to merfolk. If you just came here to see if you could profit from the mercommunity, then you are not Merfolk.

Maybe you could hawk your talents to a more consumer-based community more willing to part with their cash.

I know there is but I am trying to discuss with you how the mermaid community and business can move forward and progress in the world. As Merfolk, I believe we should be trying to establish some credibility to further increase demand outside of the mermaid community. My first gig as a mermaid someone asked me "Oh did you go to that freak mermaid convention I read about?". If you haven't noticed, people don't respect the mermaid community and I can honestly see why.

Here is the article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these...america-2015-3

I guess you guys do not share the same goal of making mermaiding a respectable business and profession.

Here's the issue though. Nothing is wrong with us. We're normal people with hobbies and we're living out our dreams. What is wrong are the people judging us for it. If this was a home convention or wedding convention or even a car or body building convention, the media wouldn't paint it in a bad light. Once they see something strange and they don't like it, they paint it in a negative light which is why no one ever respects any kind of community be it the cosplay community, mer community, furry, vampire etcetc what have you
    The SeaGlass Siren

[quote name=&quot;teeth4u&quot; post=194110]This is only further proving the unprofessional attitude of the mermaids here. I really do not appreciate people not taking my comments seriously because I am serious. <br />
    <br />
    Yulia, your gofund me link is broken.[/QUOTE]<br />
    <br />
    We ARE taking you seriously. The thing is, you are taking yourself too seriously. If you don't think there is money to be made in the mermaid market, fine. Don't make mermaid tails or items. You won't be missed. There is more to mermaiding than SELLING stuff to merfolk. If you just came here to see if you could profit from the <i>mercommunity</i>, then you are not <b>Merfolk</b>. <br />
    <br />
    Maybe you could hawk your talents to a more consumer-based community more willing to part with their cash.<br />
    <br />

👏👏👏👏👏👏

formerly jayy
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

Teeth4u, I understand where your coming from, many of us do. But your approach with the Merfolk community needs a little work, and perhaps more understanding.
    Personally, I didn't become involved in mermaiding with the hopes that it would somehow make me a big profit. Nor did I hope that it would become as mainstream as Coca-Cola like so many things these days.
    Many of us do this to escape that world, does that make sense?
    Sure, let it become popular and more understood, I'm all for it. Make those naysayers eat their foot after calling us "Freaks".
    If people are able to create and support their own livelihood by making a business out of what they love, then more power to them. For many people the mermaiding world *is a respectable business* and a very successful profession, but it just sounds like you want to then turn around and sell that dream for mass production. I could be totally wrong, and I apologize if I am. But that's the vibe I get from many of your inquiries here.
    Best of luck to you.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    K imma just come out and say this: I asked Iona to check teeth4us ip address last time they were around. It was the same IP as another user Iona is nice about this stuff even though people aren't allowed to make alt accounts ( its connected to another account too). She tries to give people a chance to provide evidence that they arent just alt accounts. ( there was another meenet account the ip is connected to also to the ig user and the email went to their associated etsy)I think it is interesting I made that point to the IG user and a day later teeth4u is back. Since I made the original thread calling out the user for theft it would make sense why teeth4u a 'new' user would have such vocal opinions about me... And the tail making market???

Could it all be a giant coincidence??? Sure. But one hell of one....
    Last edited by AniaR; 05-27-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: clarified a statement

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    K imma just come out and say this: I asked Iona to check teeth4us ip address last time they were around. It was the same IP as another user recently caught on IG stealing finfolk and merbellas designs to a T. Iona is nice about this stuff even though people aren't allowed to make alt accounts ( its connected to another account too). She tries to give people a chance to provide evidence that they arent just alt accounts. ( there was another meenet account the ip is connected to also to the ig user and the email went to their associated etsy)I think it is interesting I made that point to the IG user and a day later teeth4u is back. Since I made the original thread calling out the user for theft it would make sense why teeth4u a 'new' user would have such vocal opinions about me... And the tail making market???

Yeah that would be QUITE the coincidence.
    And personally I don't want mermaiding to be mainstream, because if that were the case our community would just be another trend, not the family it has become! I don't mind it becoming more popular, but I wouldn't want it to be some big thing like Coca-Cola!
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Quote Originally Posted by teeth4u View Post
    I know there is but I am trying to discuss with you how the mermaid community and business can move forward and progress in the world. As Merfolk, I believe we should be trying to establish some credibility to further increase demand outside of the mermaid community. My first gig as a mermaid someone asked me "Oh did you go to that freak mermaid convention I read about?". If you haven't noticed, people don't respect the mermaid community and I can honestly see why.

Here is the article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these...america-2015-3

I guess you guys do not share the same goal of making mermaiding a respectable business and profession.
    Why are you so hellbent on marketing mermaiding? You're like a proselytizing missionary! I DON'T CARE IF ORDINARY PEOPLE DON'T RESPECT THE MERMAID COMMUNITY.

K imma just come out and say this: I asked Iona to check teeth4us ip address last time they were around. It was the same IP as another user recently caught on IG stealing finfolk and merbellas designs to a T. Iona is nice about this stuff even though people aren't allowed to make alt accounts ( its connected to another account too). She tries to give people a chance to provide evidence that they arent just alt accounts. ( there was another meenet account the ip is connected to also to the ig user and the email went to their associated etsy)I think it is interesting I made that point to the IG user and a day later teeth4u is back. Since I made the original thread calling out the user for theft it would make sense why teeth4u a 'new' user would have such vocal opinions about me... And the tail making market???

This is absolutely not true. I do not even have an instagram account. Everyone here is missing the point. I'm not trying to profit off the mermaid community. We're all on the same team. I come on here and try to have a discussion about the tail making business and only one person actually gave me their input. I'm not saying mermaids should be mainstream or some crazy profitable franchise. All I am getting at is that innovation comes from (among other things) critical thinking and challenging your ideas. Obviously everyone here would rather start some petty drama rather than engage in a stimulating conversation.

Raina, please message me. I would like to further discuss your accusations in private.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm not accusing you. I'm stating. Your IP is connected to the MerNetwork account and the Instagram an etsy of a tail maker.

I'm not accusing you. I'm stating. Your IP is connected to the MerNetwork account and the Instagram an etsy of a tail maker.
    Can we discuss this in private?

Excuse me, but there was an interesting and lively conversation until you decided how worthless it is to pursue as a business opportunity.

"Anyways, this (and other experiences) leads me to the conclusion that there isn't much profit in the mermaid business. The few tail makers who seem to have done well in the business like Raven, Finfolk and MerNation are doing well because they treat it like a business. They make a product and sell it well in a professional manner. Aside from those select few, the mermaid community has given me an extremely unprofessional vibe. I feel this will always limit the possibilities of expanding the tail making and general mermaid market."

No drama here until you insult the community outright. Celeste, for one, went to great lengths to address you with thoughtful and intelligent conversation and you gave her a one sentence response before disappearing for several weeks, only to come back and insult everyone.

Excuse me, but there was an interesting and lively conversation until you decided how worthless it is to pursue as a business opportunity.

"Anyways, this (and other experiences) leads me to the conclusion that there isn't much profit in the mermaid business. The few tail makers who seem to have done well in the business like Raven, Finfolk and MerNation are doing well because they treat it like a business. They make a product and sell it well in a professional manner. Aside from those select few, the mermaid community has given me an extremely unprofessional vibe. I feel this will always limit the possibilities of expanding the tail making and general mermaid market."

No drama here until you insult the community outright. Celeste, for one, went to great lengths to address you and you gave her a one sentence response before disappearing for several weeks, only to come back and insult everyone.
    That was not meant to be an insult, I'm sorry it offended people. I expected you of all people to be a bit more understanding because you are pursuing your own tail business. To me it sounds like you guys are okay with the way people are not accepting of mermaids, don't care if anyone respects you and aren't willing to put in any effort to change that. I've read threads on here about people who lose their jobs because they have a mermaid hobby and kids who are bullied every day for wanting to be a mermaid. This is not okay in my opinion and I doubt it is in your either. I have wanted to be a mermaid my entire life and everyone has always told me I'm queer for wanting to play adult dress up. I'm not one to sit around while other people disrespect me. I guess I was hoping that more people would be interested in discussing facts and the reality of the mermaid community and how to improve upon it.

The mermaid community has given me an unprofessional vibe and I believe that this right here is the reason why people can't take us seriously. It seems we can't have a serious conversation on here without personally attacking someone with different views or a little bit of criticism. I've seen it here before and it's happening again now.

No drama here until you insult the community outright. Celeste, for one, went to great lengths to address you with thoughtful and intelligent conversation and you gave her a one sentence response before disappearing for several weeks, only to come back and insult everyone.
    I would also like to add that I did respond to Celeste's posts and thanked her for taking the time to respond. Imagine where the conversation would be if everyone took that kind of time to think and respond like that! As for my "disappearance", I have a demanding full time job and can't always spend the time necessary to respond adequately. After all, this is just hobby for me and not my career.

People don't take us seriously because we dress up in tails. Not because of our attitude. It's because they are not understanding and they are judgey. how is it our fault if they judge us based on our hobbies?
    The SeaGlass Siren