Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merfolk in Wetsuit Tops?

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

Merfolk in Wetsuit Tops?

Hey guys, I was wondering what people think of merfolk wearing neoprene clothing. Do you like it or dislike it? What sort or backstory do you think it implies if a mermaid or merman in wearing a wetsuit top? Have you seen any cool images or photos featuring merpeople in wetsuit tops?

If it's a top where it shows part of the mid-rift like that I feel it looks more appropriate then one that covers the complete torso. But honestly I don't really like the look of it unless its put in the context of they were on land in say a two piece wetsuit and then got their legs. By the way you are a great artist!

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    everything she just said

As a back story it would be appropriate if the Mer were an oceanographer or marine archaeologist who worked along side biped divers, sort of an expedition 'uniform'.

Alveric

I actually like it. I think it fits more with a futuristic idea. For example mermaids existed in ancient times but decided to go into hiding because humans lost their connection to nature (or something like that). But then they reintroduce themselves to the modern world and adapted to things like wetsuit tops.

Just one idea behind it. Haha. It is kinda cool to see a change from the classic sea shells though. And agreed, you are an awesome artist.

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

Not exactly a wetsuit, but the character "Mermaid" from an alternate future version of the X-men seems to have an "unstable molecules" top
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Mermaid_%28Earth-9997%29

And I like merfolk in wetsuits... it makes them more streamlined and athletic-looking. It does tend to imply either that the mermaid is a former human or that merfolk and humans exist alongside one another in a form of coexistence (I'm not sure what processes go into making neoprene, but I suspect they can't be done underwater, which makes it unlikely for merfolk to have developed neoprene independently of humanity). On the other hand, mermaids are often shown as scavengers from wrecks and sunken treasure (Ariel with the Dinglehopper and Snarfblatt, for instance), so I don't see why, in recent years, they couldn't gain wetsuits.

Nice sketch! I agree about them looking more streamlined and athletic. I like the idea of merfolk living among humans and working in aquatic type jobs that shows through their accessories and clothing. There is an artist on deviantART who you should totally check out if you find that kind of look appealing! Well you should really check it out anyways since some of the mermaid/merman concepts are so rad!!

http://chael.deviantart.com/ < That's his account.
    http://chael.deviantart.com/gallery/...set=24#/d590wc < Example with shirt.
    http://chael.deviantart.com/gallery/...et=120#/d4ee6s < Mermaid with other clothing example. SO AWESOME.

Chael's work is no less than marvelous! Unfortunately with no deviations in more than a year, he seems inactive now. I put a watch on his page anyways.

Alveric

@Alveric: I know! It's sad that he's inactive! But I figured it was worth a mention anyways. :P And who knows? Maybe one day he'll surprise us with something new!

Definitely worth the mention, even if he never does another thing. Hope he does though.

Alveric

@Alveric: Some of his concepts are so unique and beautiful! He's definitely not afraid to step outside the box! I also love his sense of colour and lighting!

In the Great Lakes, the merfolk like stealing diver's jackets to help stay warm in the cold water.

Look for the jetski type bolero jackets

i think this is neat. maybe like a surfer. the way its drawn. (great drawind skills!)
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

I agree I think this is an awesome sketch! Nice job I like to make scale tops out of neoprene, but in a halter style since that fits my body a little better.(https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...10674ee&type=1) I can imagine that a full-sleeve version would be awesome too, especially since the water is so chilly now in winter. It would be great to be able to swim year-round
    Mermaid Shelly
    www.mermaidshelly.com

If you rip it up a bit you could say the mermaid stole it from some hapless diver.

"An ocean without its unnamed monsters would be like a completely dreamless sleep."- John Steinbeck

I just love the idea. I think, well, I'm really sporty, and the north sea is cold, so I could use the warming effect. I think this is a great idea fur every sporty mer =)

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    It makes sense, since we wear clothes on land for warmth and modesty.

Suggests either a civilization that is technologically equivalent but independent, or a world in which land and sea dwellers regularly associate.

I think the look can be both professional and very sexy, in addition it has the benefit of being far more practical and serious than wearing a pair of shells over your breasts - could you take someobe dressed like that seriously? Seems to me that if merfolk did exist then they'd be more than likely to make use of items of human design that could be practical for them.

It reminds me a little of the mermaid wetsuits that Otter Bay produce.

Now that would be an interesting scenario: humans in wesuits that give them tails and mermaids in wetsuits that cover them from head to fin and then trying to spot the difference between the two.

Lol I approve, because I practically live in surf suits on a daily basis��
    I dream of a day when they may rise above the billows to drag down in their reeking talons the remnants of puny, war-exhausted mankind --of a day when the land shall sink, and the dark ocean floor shall ascend amidst universal pandemonium.