Thread: Visiting West Seattle this June

Visiting West Seattle this June

Hey. I'll be in Seattle for my sister's graduation in mid June. I'll be in the Alki Beach area of West Seattle. The plan is to be there for the week so I can spend time with her other than running around at graduation stuff. I'm also planning on bringing my tail with me. Though I would like to, I don't think I will have time or have access to transportation to meet up with any Seattle area mermaids. :-/

Are pools in the area that allow mermaid tails? The closest pool to where she lives is the Colman saltwater pool. Has anyone been there with their tails? The last time I was visiting, I didn't have my tail.

Most of the pools around here do allow tails, but only during lap swim times (not open swim). I've had good luck with pools run by the City of Seattle.

I have taken my tail to the Colman pool and swam with it during a lap swim session. Be warned that the Colman pool is EXTREMELY POPULAR, and if it is very crowded they may not allow fins for safety reasons even during lap swim (I went on an overcast day, which is usually your best bet for a decently empty pool.)

Course, if you're brave there's always Alki beach, haha

Getting around the city is fairly easy by public transit (lots of buses go between West Seattle and downtown, for example. there's also a water taxi), if you end up having some free time or want to get around the city.

Colman opens after Memorial day? I didn't find much about them on the Seattle Parks and Rec website except that the 7 day a week schedule does not start until later in June. The only times I have been there was late summer before they closed. Not many people were out then and not surprising either since it was so windy that getting out of the pool was unbearable cold!

Haha! Her apartment is actually a short walking distance to the Alki Beach access. I've waded on the shore in the summer months but it takes a brave person to actually swim in it! There is some guy that goes out and does laps at Alki around 7 pm. He goes really far out from shore too.

It opens weekends starting May 23rd, then opens 7 days a week starting June 20th. I've heard the pool can reach capacity on nice days, admittedly have never seen it myself. (Again, only gone on overcast cold days because I don't like a crowded lap lane)

Here's the weekend scheduale that will be in effect from May 23rd to June 20th. http://www.seattle.gov/parks/aquatic...n/schedule.htm

Yeah, the Sound is cold even in the summer. I swim in it on occasion, takes some getting used to