Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety concerns over tail swimming

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Good to know! I'm not home and don't have reliable internet but the show usually goes up on the website. Keep an eye out and I'll post it when I get home!

It should be up here later http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/

Giving another radio interview tomorrow for Edmonton CBC

Great job on replying to the comments on the article. I always find it interesting how the people most opposed to mermaid tails or monofins have never swam in one and have perhaps never even seen one being swam with in person.

I was swimming in my monofin yesterday and was enjoying how quickly I can swim to the surface with it. If you are at the bottom of the pool and all of a sudden realize you need air, you can get to the surface much faster in a fin. Just another thing to think about for when people say it is too dangerous and you can drown. The fin helps propel you up faster to get air and it takes less kicks.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

People have been using monofins before mermaiding, in freediving. That also encourages breathholding.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    So the article came out and despite all the stuff we addressed they focused more on the language use and the fact adults did it http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...aids-1.3084473 (feel free to post things in the comments you can log in with your FB account... just be polite!) (also fan girl moment... being in the same article as Hannah Fraser ahhh!) (also side note I think my point about Annette being one of the first movies filmed through a tank to be underwater got mis-took for first person filmed underwater. Which I don't think is true )

However! The radio interview I just gave was spot on. I crammed in every single point I could think of to validate it and address safety concerns. I'll try and get a recording of it soon. I'm really proud of how it went and I can only hope it opens eyes! it was actually called "The Calgary Eye Opener!"
    Part of the article was good, but wth? Now they want to argue the point of tails being toys? And what was with the mention of Annette at the end of the article... about promoting nudity? That was about as tasteless as they could have gotten. I know this is a Canadian writer and article, but maybe it's time they heard from someone south of the border who wants to call them out on their lack of tact and decency? I'm going to be writing to this author once I have been in the water with my tail (so I am officially a mermaid and not a wanna-be). That was just uncalled for and ridiculous and they need to know that they are indeed affecting/hurting people elsewhere with their dribble and nonsense.

Congrats to the mers involved and their efforts to set the record straight, but a huge tongue lashing for the author! Ggrrr! I have grown to hate the media!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Great job on replying to the comments on the article. I always find it interesting how the people most opposed to mermaid tails or monofins have never swam in one and have perhaps never even seen one being swam with in person.

I was swimming in my monofin yesterday and was enjoying how quickly I can swim to the surface with it. If you are at the bottom of the pool and all of a sudden realize you need air, you can get to the surface much faster in a fin. Just another thing to think about for when people say it is too dangerous and you can drown. The fin helps propel you up faster to get air and it takes less kicks.
    alea i quote you in the comments section.
    The SeaGlass Siren

aw HEOOOO NAH. somebody just went and brought disney into it for no reason. i'm about to go keyboard warrior.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Aww thanks SeaGlass!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    The comments on that article are so lame.
    "Those things have drowning all written over them" yea, that's why many mers have to wear a sack of lead to stay under the surface

BTW, someone should tell the mongers that urine in chlorine water leads to cancer, and that the majority of people do pee into the pools.
    Thus, everyone not wearing a swim diaper (or tail) should be banned from all pools asap.

^ i vote you do it
    The SeaGlass Siren

Sean made an excellent point. By banning the tails they've now made it more unsafe for kids to swim because there only options are places without trained lifeguards

OHHHHHH ok i was wondering if it was him :P
    The SeaGlass Siren

My radio interview from this morning: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local...ID/2667851010/

I think it went really well!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Brava! excellent interview! I'm off to share it in my social media outlets!

Thankfully because it's an interview they can't cut anything or twist raina's reponse in anyway. great job!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    My radio interview from this morning: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local...ID/2667851010/

I think it went really well!
    <STANDING OVATION!!!>
    That was incredible! Kudos to you! :-)

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    Reading this made me tear up. I'm fifteen and I just barely remember the times where nearly no one had a smartphone and I barely knew what a computer was. While I try to stay away from electronics as much as I can (I only use my phone for Mernetwork, and communicating) I still find myself aimlessly staring at it whenever I'm bored or tired. Guess it shows just how dependent I am on it, yeah? I see this affect everyone and I wish I could go back to the days where the internet wasn't some huge thing and I would be motivated to go outside more. But the thing is, I'm one of the least internet savvy out of all my friends. I've been called the most down to earth. I think that's saying something considering I'll spend and hour or two on my phone or computer at night. The Internet did bring some good things though. Here we all are, talking. I can talk with people around the world about my interests and get help when needed, but there's a lot of times I feel really bad. I've been shamed for being white (which I know is NOTHING compared to people of color, but it's made me hate who I am. I've literally wished I wasn't born white because I just hate this negative connotation and I don't want to be grouped with this bunch of 'terrible rascist people'), I've been shamed for my family's political views, I've been shamed for my sexuality, I've been shamed for living in my country. I think this is where the hate is coming from. Hate breeds hate and people don't know where to stop. Since, I've deleted any apps or accounts on websites that made me feel bad for who I am. My wish is that others will do that as well. But for now, I'm going to go outside and take a hike, then come back and be a mermaid
    I beg your pardon miss, but are you calling me a racist? Please be careful about how you phrase your point. I am pretty sure that is not what you meant, but that's how it looks.

Why are you ashamed? If you are being shamed that you are white, and especially if it is because they think all people of your race are racist, that in itself is racism, is it not? Why would you want to join those people? Whether or not someone of the same race did something to them, You did not and many people of your own race didn't either, thus they are no better. Would you really want to alter yourself to be like them so they would not torment you? If I could have a change that powerful, I'd go for what everyone on this site probably wants to be. A merman, in your case, a mermaid. However, as interesting as that would be to discuss, it is beside my point. Them shaming you, an innocent girl, for someone else deeds is wrong, and they should not make you want to change no matter what.

Please miss, I would like to hear more about what you are speaking of and why you regret who you are, because I do not want to make assumptions. If it is too personal, then I will not press farther, but it sounds like you should talk to someone, and it does not have to be me. It could be your family, a friend, maybe someone here, but please do find someone.

K waaaaay off topic folks.

Wonderful interview! Well I hope people are changing their mind about monofins being dangerous. It would be funny to invite the people that are worried about the safety of monofins to go monofin swimming in a pool.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants