Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Top-in-progress: tips and help please :)

Top-in-progress: tips and help please :)

Hello! I'm a new mer, and I might have a gig coming up (fingers crossed it goes through)! Anywho, I don't have any kind of mermaidy top, and I don't have the funds to buy one right now, so I figured I'd make one. HOWEVER, I (unlike you creative and crafty merbabes) have VERY limited sewing/crafting abilities. Luckily I found an old bikini top that has ~mermaidy~ iridescent sequins on it, and I bought some netting to try to work something out. After playing around with it a little....

Name:  merbra1 small.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  28.5 KB
    Name:  mertop2 small.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  33.4 KB

This is what I have so far (it's not sewn together yet, but I'm working on it).

My questions are: Do you think it's appropriate enough for a children's gig at a festival? (If not I was thinking maybe sew some netting together in the front to cover up some cleev? What else could I do to it to make it more appropriate?)

Also, what else can I use to decorate it a bit more? I don't really like the look of fake plants/seaweed for this top, but I am thinking of getting some hemp string to hang down the knot at the front with some tiny seashells and pearls hanging from it. What do yall think?? I appreciate all the help I can get from you guys, because you're all so creative!
    Last edited by Rocky Mountain Mermaids; 05-12-2015 at 11:17 PM.

You can buy fake plants and shells at any craft store, and you can buy E6000 glue which is waterproof, it's a very strong glue. I use it for hair clips and several shell bras that I've made.
    Mermaids&Anchors

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    You could further decorate it by adding a starfish in the center and maybe a few pearls and seashells to the netting. It's actually a pretty good base. Maybe add some of the color of your tail onto the netting or the actual top with some acrylic paint.

Thanks for the replies! I like the starfish idea. Anyone have opinions of whether it's modest enough for a children's show?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I would say yes.