Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Glasses? To see or not to see...

Glasses? To see or not to see...

Hello all!
    To see or not to see, that is the question.

Any other mermaids out there with less than perfect vision, do you feel comfortable mermaiding in your glasses? I used to swim in my glasses when I was younger, but I did get a lot of questioning and confused looks, as well as the danger of losing them (until I implemented the little string one uses for reading/sunglasses around the neck, although there's still a small risk even with it). I'm sure it'd be just as confusing to see a mermaid in glasses.

I suppose I could take the advice of one mermaid I read of on here (I apologize, I don't remember who it was or where it was posted) who responded to a child's question on braces with something like 'some of us need them and come onto land to get them'. But glasses are far more removable, so I have far less of an excuse.

I do also have the aesthetic concern of feeling that I'm more attractive with my glasses on. Even before I needed glasses I wore the plastic 'fashion' glasses. I suppose it could be different now; after all, I can't properly see my face without my glasses, and I can't seem to get an objective answer from friends and family.

So... what do you think? Glasses or no?

I dont use my glasses when swimming i am comfortable in the water enough to identify things pretty well, However i know some glasses places can make either goggles or a dive mask in your prescription. as for a mermaid with glasses, it could be said "I found these in the ocean. i've seen many humans wear it, i think it looks cool" *or something like that"

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I found it very interesting, because I cannot see clearly 1 ft in front of me without my glasses, but there is something about how water works to correct my vision. I noticed it when I was at weeki wachee springs. I was using a plain old diving mask without my glasses on and I could see like WAY in the distance PERFECTLY clear. So give it a try - you may discover you don't even need your glasses.

As for other functions, I will be doing the big old no no and be wearing my contact lenses in the water. Shhh... don;t tell my eye doctor

In your case, since you actually LIKE glasses on you, I'd go with the whole "found them" thing like Lanai said. Very good idea

A very good idea indeed! Thank you so much!

Definitely some good ideas! You guys are pretty clever!

For me, I wear glasses and have pretty poor vision. I've only recently got contact lenses which are great for when I'm out of the water. Up until that though I would go without my glasses and I would always need whoever was assisting me at the time to let me know who was approaching me or if people were waving or whatever. That gets kinda frustrating though since you can't see the expressions of people looking at you...

I see a lot better underwater (no goggles). I'm a lot more comfortable seeing in the pool/underwater than I am posing on land without glasses or contacts.

When I was using my glasses, I would tell people that mermaids have poor vision on land because our eyes are designed to see underwater! Ha ha! It would usually get a laugh or two.

[QUOTE=courtneymermaid;9414
    When I was using my glasses, I would tell people that mermaids have poor vision on land because our eyes are designed to see underwater! Ha ha! It would usually get a laugh or two. [/QUOTE]
    lol it got a laugh out of me! Clever!

Ha ha! Nice! I'm glad I could give you a giggle MermaidMisty! I always thought it was a cute excuse! :P

It's really strange I feel like I can see better under water so I don't wear my glasses
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

Junior Member Pod of Oceania Sahyris's Avatar
    I seem to have the opposite problem. I have almost 20/20 vision on land, but everything's a complete blur to me underwater. That said, I don't have much experience swimming without goggles or a mask and snorkel. Do you think it's just a matter of practising until my underwater vision improves?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    I have perfect vision on land too, but under the water everything is blurry (unless I am wearing goggles, of course). I always figured that is how it is for everyone.

Ooh now this is hard for me...I can see well in the water (very near-sighted) without my contacts. But I like to see the people above water, too! XP I hate having to choose between seeing in the water and out! I guess if I were in the ocean I'd like to see what's there, but in a public pool the interesting thing is the people...so in that case the contacts would stay in.

Sahyris, I've read of cases where it improves with lots of practice, but those were in cases with small children. I'm not sure if it would work on an older person. :-S

I have bad vision in and out of water (though it's not bad. Everything is just a little blurry and I can't read things. But I can see well enough to see like big things coming at me lol) so I'm used to seeing that way. I think it just takes getting used to! And how bad your vision is.
    Mermaid Jewel

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    I have bad vision, but I just go without glasses, in and above the water, when at the pool or a beach.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

So glad I found this thread! I was wondering what other glasses/contact wearing mers did. I'm also nearsighted. I usually just swim in my contacts, but keep my eyes closed under water, unless I'm wearing goggles. I never stay under the water very long, so if I'm in a public place swimming, I just watch where everyone is heading before I dive under the water. I'm pretty good at swimming in straight lines, so this usually works just fine and I avoid swimming into people! lol.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    Nearisighted people can see better underwater than a person with 20/20 vision could.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

You can also buy underwater contacts and hannah fraser said that they worked about .80 as good as gogles but are pricey and kept poping out of her eyes hope this helps...

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    I have terrible near sighted vision. However I am too chicken to open my eyes underwater without goggles on, so I'm not sure if my eyesight improves underwater or not. I won't dare wear my glasses in the water and swim with them. So far though, even using goggles, I have much better vision underwater than above the water. :-)

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Glasses are kinda cute in the water

I wear glasses ( see profile pic) , and I too feel more attractive with them on. I don' t feel like me without them. I love the " I found these in the ocean " idea! Thank you sooooooooo much for that You mers totally rock!