Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Take a custom Monofin out of a tail?

I don't know what bolycarbonate is but it's possibly that's a different silicone. Maybe dragon skin 30 or 30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWalker View Post
    I don't know what bolycarbonate is but it's possibly that's a different silicone. Maybe dragon skin 30 or 30?

Probably a misspelling of Polycarbonate.

It could be caulking too.

Yes the mertailor is notorious for being an awful hack

Store Blog

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWalker View Post
    Yes the mertailor is notorious for being an awful hack

:-S

my knife isn't precise enough to peel the blue from the whatever it is that's in between everything. Whatever it is its heavy, like heavier than the sikicone, harder but still somewhat pliable and cut-able. Going to wait for an Xacto knife to finish as I want it to be pretty when I glue it all back together. Silpoxy is glue as far as I could see, to glue the out silicone back together hopefully. will have to finish this job next weekend after I have all my supplies. Mertailor is a good artist but he needs to hire someone to do proper monofins and merciful customer service. Thanks for all your help though, it was everything I didn't get from him but needed 💜

Silpoxy would work but getting enough to put the fluke back together might be very costly compared to just buying my silicone. Might be worth it.

Please still put a mono fin in this. You haven't said if you are or not. We haven't had bad press with a mermaid yet, but I truly fear that if you don't put a monofin in and have an accident it would not only be bad for you, but bad press for the rest of us. They could ban monofins and tails across the board.

Store Blog

Aside from being a mermaid I'm a licensed healthcare provider with the medical board of california, and notorious for being one of the most cautious in my community. Trust me I won't drown myself

In fact the reason you see the photos of me swimming as you did was because I didn't want to try it in the ocean before I knew mertailors tail was safe, so I asked my friend if I could use his shallow pool.

And the reason why I'm operating on this tail is because it's not safe. I am going to make it safe. I'm not sure if a monofin will be or not, depends what kind of mono fins are out there or whether I am going to make a monofin. Mahina's look the nicest, but I'm not sure if the toes are touching. After this experience I want a monofin/silicone/footpocket with toes touching. I don't feel safe if I can't move my ankles or knees. Finis seems to make a monofin for kids with toes touching, but size 7 is too small for me... Do you know of a monofin/foot pocket that allows the toes to be touching and not separated by more than a few millimeters? Something like a mix between the finis kids and the Mahina would be perfect. Point me in the right direction... in any case don't worry. I won't drown myself. Competitive swimmer + super safe mom of a 6 year old here

Mahina has that, there's a thin wall of rubber but yes, mahina merfin does that.

Store Blog

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    If you plan on ocean swimming where there are any waves or current at all you will need a very stiff monofin, a fiberglass fin, preferably. I am a very strong swimmer but I have had a few serious scares getting past the surf in a monofin and a tail. if its a bay or something without waves then you should be ok, but if you plan on swimming at a regular beach you NEED a good monofin or it will absolutely not be safe. the right ones are built for ocean swimming, and are a necessity. You need to do some research on monofins and freediving before you take this in the ocean, for sure. I wouldnt ocean swim in a silicone tail unless someone took me out past the shore in a boat first, or if there was no possibility of waves or current. it is dangerous no matter how you spin it and mermaiding is not a totally safe activity. good luck with this tail and please do be careful.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    oh and that is a polycarbonate fin surrounded by silicone rubber. It would be fine but the angle he attached the foot pockets at is pretty ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Havanargila View Post
    Attachment 30772
    Attachment 30773
    Attachment 30774
    Attachment 30775

coyote - that was really helpful info thanks. is the clear stuff he put under the outer blue skin and in between the flippers silicone or bolycarbonate? knife cuts through it, not as easily as the outer skin, but it does cut through it, could it be a different type of silicone?

thanks
    Pretty sure thats silicone caulk. Cheaper and thicker then dragonskin. Hed need at least 1/2 a gallon of dragonskin thickened to the max to equal the amount he uses in the hybrid flukes. It also wouldnt cure against those footpockets. I pulled over a pound of it out of mine. A giant glad freezer bag stuffed full.

Provided he didnt punch holes in that one, you should be able to pry the polycarbonate out and put a new monofin in its place. The more you open the fluke up the easier itll be to get it in there without tons of air bubbles. Definately add some drainage. You can use straws stuffed into anothers end until its long enough. Or those giant pixie stick straws.

GE 1 window and door caulk will stick to his tails. I dont know if its cheaper then silpoxy but its easier to find.

my thread about my tail is in the mertailor section. I had to pull mine apart too. It may help. But mind you, I had a wave, not his own monofin. Theres photos to give you an idea of what the inside looks like in regards to placement.

best of luck!
    If you can't stand upon the water I will meet you on the ocean floor

On the monofin note: The Finis Aquarius has a single footpocket for both feet. It goes up to a foot size Women's 11 (US).

So I am still in discussions with Tailmaker about resolving, but I just wanted to say THANk YOU everyone who gave me so much information and advice on how to fix my tail. It's now fixed and swimmable. Exacto knifed the monofin and a bunch of silicone stuff out, recut the fins, medically sutured up the tail and silpoxy-d between suture lines. There are foot pockets but no monofin, there was just no way to put a monofin in it without destroying the tail by cutting it up too much more. I'm happy with it now, 14-20 hours of work, blood, sweat and tears later. Thank you again, couldn't have done it without you all.

link to the photo album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=08fa00e76a