Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Little girl struggles: viral video

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Little girl is very lucky to have someone watching her back during tail swim. When I had my first tail swim, I went the wrong way and by the time I hit the surface I was nearly panicking!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    My first tail swim nearly killed me. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it! I had a homemade fabric tail that had a chiffon and wire coat hanger 'fluke' and I just jumped into a lake. ALONE. I got water up my nose and thrashed for a few seconds and totally panicked.

But then I remembered how good I was at swimming and that panic would not help, so I relaxed and floated to the top, coughed out the water, assessed the tail movement in the water and swam on from there. It was not an easy thing to do - to go against all reflex that would have drowned me - but I never forgot that heart-gripping panic and what a stupid move it was to just "dive in".

I don't know if that was a catalyst for watching others in the water, making sure they weren't struggling or what, but it's evident TO ME that the little girl in question, in her first swim in a tail, got a nose full of water, couldn't right herself and panicked. And her mom was right there to make sure she was okay. End of story. It could have happened WITH or WITHOUT a mermaid tail.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I'm an adult, and I STILL can't get the hang of a front flip in a tail. I find backflips much easier (arch my back, and paddle with my hands like climbing a ladder), but front flips escape me. I certainly couldn't do either kind of flip while holding my nose! And I have had the experience of attempting a flip in shallow water--you need a lot more space than without a tail. I pretty much end up stuck with my fluke in the air, just like the video.
    It does look like the little girl needs better swimming skills before attempting anything in a tail. While the second video shows her capable of flipping with no tail, it'd be a much better test of her skills to see her swim across the pool without touching bottom.
    I'd say that arm floaties might be in order for a child this age learning to tailswim. That way, she could get the movement figured out without worrying about sinking. At least, that's my plan when my own little one is old enough to learn.

EDIT: Also, upon watching the second video again, she's kicking off the bottom for momentum for the flip. Can't do that in a tail.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I still don't understand why they put a little girl in a tail and then tell her to "flip! go FLIP!".

That's like putting someone on a rope (for rope-walking) which they have never done before, and then tell them to do a flic-flac on it.
    And when they fall off, post a warning video how the rope is unsafe and needs to be watched.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I still don't understand why they put a little girl in a tail and then tell her to "flip! go FLIP!".

That's like putting someone on a rope (for rope-walking) which they have never done before, and then tell them to do a flic-flac on it.
    And when they fall off, post a warning video how the rope is unsafe and needs to be watched.
    That was my thought! It's like they expected her to magically know how to do tricks now that she was in a mermaid tail.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    That's a good point, Talia.

Now that I think about it, there are some more things that I find questionable.
    For example; how does she get "stuck", exactly?
    (The links don't work, so I have to guess here a bit)

If it happens in a pool, there is not much to get "stuck on" in the first place. (not like in a lake, where one could get stuck in waterplants, abandoned debris, fishing nets, etc).

Even if she managed to somehow get the fluke around her head (?!), the buoyancy should lift her to the surface no problem.
    In fact, it would be really difficult to stay down in a shallow pool

So yes, there is a good chance they were doing this on purpose.
    Its actually very easy to get stuck while doing a flip, if you don't have any experience. sometimes you don't have enough power, and you accidentally stop half way through. A few years back, when i had no idea what a mono fin was, I was practicing flips underwater and i got stuck A LOT. Luckily, I was able to get back up every time, but not with no struggle. now, I love doing flips and i am glad I kept practicing, even if i got some water up my nose.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Imogen, you are accurate in that this was a poor representation of tails and that the mother was an idiot.
    I'd like to point out that the video that went viral to reiterate the unsafety of our tails was only one section of the original video, in which the mother puts her daughter in the tail and throws her in the water, admitting that the young girl has not had any proper swim lessons but stays afloat well enough. There's a small bit of clip at the beginning of the full video of her daughter doggy paddling to the edge of the pool when she calls her(and not well I will add)
    While it is beyond ridiculous that people who jumped on the "ban them they are unsafe" train never bothered to view the full video(which did not go viral and was quickly overridden by varying shorter clips) the only thing we can do is dive deep and continue to prove that they are not unsafe, used properly and not alone.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!

There are many important things in life, buy a twitter account with followers and it's easy to get caught up in all of them. One of the key principles of design is hierarchy, and keeping it simple will help you communicate your thoughts more clearly. For example, instead of focusing on the last thing on your list, focus on the top item. That way, you'll have a clear idea of what to focus on. This principle is also essential to managing your time and ensuring that you don't spend too much time on unnecessary tasks. buy bulk gmail accounts