Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little girl struggles: viral video

Little girl struggles: viral video

There has recently come about a short clip of a young girl with a spandex tail who apprears to struggle to get herself fully submerged in the water.
    While, of course child safety is #1, i feel like the community is unfairly portrayed, by many people' (a few i know) baahing the hobby saying it is dangerous.
    While i understand this mothers concern, she calls it a toy.
    Which they arent. And without having any prior lessons with any sort of fins (i assume) she allows her daughter to use a mermaid tail. While some may pick it up naturally, some may not. And she shouldve done her homework.
    In a comment i left on a friends Facebook while she shared this video, i mentioned you use a lot of muscles normally not used in tandom casual swimming and, having a monofin increaes the difficulty.
    If you know what youre doing, and have prepared and or have done it before then its not dangerous. Any hobby or job has risks.
    Like while i enjoy grooming, people assume i play with puppies and dogs always cooperate. And when i put my foot down, im a dog beater, when i raise my voice or am extremely frazzed im being abusive. If i had a nickle fpr every time i was bit or attacked, id be a wealthu lady. My point being, everything, ever has risks! No matter what it is.
    Am i just being to defensive about this?
    Its wasnt the lack of skill or difficulty she was having but (people in general ) making assumptions and false accusations.

formerly jayy
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Where is the video?
    Formerly known as ireneho

All over youtube and face book. Ill pull it up.

formerly jayy

Formerly known as jayy

I cant get the url and copy and paste it from Facebook and i can't find it on YouTube.

formerly jayy

Formerly known as jayy

It must've been taken down. I have searched for it on youtube, can't find it.

What color tail was she wearing? I might have watched it previously...

Formerly known as jayy

Hope the link works

formerly jayy

Formerly known as jayy

I don't think I've seen the video. I do think that many would agree that a monofin =/= a toy. Yikes! There are definitely enough stories shared on Mernetwork of parents who don't keep a close eye on their children at pools that have lifeguards and someone else still has to save their child, so I am not surprised by this woman's flippant attitude. :/ While swimming with a monofin can be a fun and rewarding experience that definitely doesn't make it a toy. Just because fencing is fun exercise, doesn't mean a seven year old should be handed a sword and told to have at it. :P Same goes for many types of sporting equipment, which is what a monofin technically was designed for and mostly used for.

It's sad that one viral video can get everyone up in arms about mermaiding, when really they should be more concerned about the fact that the child's guardian was not within an arm's length to help her the moment she needed it.
    Last edited by Cordelia; 06-16-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: comma and style! ;D

^^^👏👏👏👏
    It just puts a bad name on people who do it. I got so worked up!
    Exactly! You're not going to hand a kid a sword without at least weighing the risks. And then blame it on the teacher..smh

formerly jayy

Formerly known as jayy

Link goes to an empty page. I agree, the parent should've been in the water with her. That's bad parenting to have the kid in danger and not be near her to rescue her if need be.

Crap... how would i fix the link? Im not to tech smart.
    At keast my friend who shared the video said she had mermaid friends and was like "they make it look easy! But they really have to work!" Something along those lines. So at least she wasnt being super narrow minded.

formerly jayy

Formerly known as jayy

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Link goes to an empty page. I agree, the parent should've been in the water with her. That's bad parenting to have the kid in danger and not be near her to rescue her if need be.
    If it's the video I think it is, then the mum was in the water with her. (though it may be a different one) I'm trying to find it now. Basically what happens is the mum is lounging on a floaty thing in one of those cheap, instant pools you buy from stores that are like waist deep. The kid is in a tail, gets put in the pool and the mum's like 'do a flip!' girl does a flip and doesn't come up. After just a few seconds the mum's like "I don't think she can get up" and jumps out of the flaoty chair (which is right beside the little girl) and pulls her up.

YES, she should should not have said 'do a flip' when the girl probably had no experience in the tail.
    BUT she was right there, and paying close attention to her at that point.
    So it's a bit of good and bad parenting there.

Again if it's the video I'm thinking of. If not, I apologise haha

If that's it, Mer-Crazy, then I don't see the big deal. That sounds like something that could happen without the tail, and that people just want to jump on the mer-hate bandwagon, because omg this is something (not) new! It must be feared!

Humans.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    As much as safety is important for kids and adults i do feel that parents need to take a step back and Evaluate the situation. they really need to ask themselves is my child ready for this, will they have difficulty swimming. etc etc. i think caution fits the situation better. Now I do have mixed feelings on this matter, but in my eyes it boils down to the parents to make the correct decision. its like chucking your child into the deep end of a pool and asking them to swim. if the child has no knowledge on how to swim then it's obvious that the child will have problems in the water. The same goes with a tail. You can have safety tips, rules etc on how to use the product but if the parent is not knowledgeable on how the product works then the parent can not teach their child how to use it correctly. its so easy to blame the PRODUCT instead of the parenting. parents that buy tails and think they are toys, well this does show their lack on education of the subject/ product they are purchasing.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

ugh. i can't watch it as the link doesnt work. but i really want to go apeshit.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    The mom is actually recording the video her friend jumps in and saves. It's only on Facebook had over 4 million views I last checked but you couldn't comment directly on her video

The SeaGlass Siren

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    The mom is actually recording the video her friend jumps in and saves. It's only on Facebook had over 4 million views I last checked but you couldn't comment directly on her video
    If that is the case, it very well may be a (I don't know if it is the right word) scam. You know, a girl who knows how to swim in a tail being told to "pretend" she does not know so the people could make a video to prove a point? I mean, if it was my child having problems I would drop the camera immediately and jump to the water to save her. I find curious how "convenient" is that it is a friend who does the saving while the mom keeps recording everything...

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    That's a good point, Talia.

Now that I think about it, there are some more things that I find questionable.
    For example; how does she get "stuck", exactly?
    (The links don't work, so I have to guess here a bit)

If it happens in a pool, there is not much to get "stuck on" in the first place. (not like in a lake, where one could get stuck in waterplants, abandoned debris, fishing nets, etc).

Even if she managed to somehow get the fluke around her head (?!), the buoyancy should lift her to the surface no problem.
    In fact, it would be really difficult to stay down in a shallow pool

So yes, there is a good chance they were doing this on purpose.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    It doesn't look on purpose. Kid just tries to flip and gets disoriented. Maybe got waterup her nose. Looks no different than me when I messup a flip