Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little girl struggles: viral video

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    This might work. If you're not on mobile delete the m in the URL

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...f&notif_t=like

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Grrr, still I am not able to watch it!

It works for me, but im logged into my Facebook via the internet not the app. I dont trust the Facebook messenger app.

formerly jayy
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    The link didn't work either way, but I could look up the woman's page manually.

She has since then responded very aggressively to anyone uttering criticism, including a new video showcasing how well her daughter can flip without a tail

My view on the matter:

it's not faked or staged, it's the simple and unfortunate concurrence of
    1) a little girl with no finswimming experience whatsoever, I'd even say she cannnot swim at all because flipping is the only thing she seems to be able to do
    2) much too shallow water, I wouldn't do a flip with or without tail in water where I can easily stand on the bottom, and
    3) a self-absorbed, self-righteous parent, who would rather blame a product (tail) rather than the fact her daughter cannot swim, or the water is too shallow for a flip.

You can see her attitude in the rant she posted when not everyone praised her
    Name:  momrant.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  261.5 KB

I'm not trying to bash her or anything, but the fin is not at fault.

Fins should only be used by people who are confident swimmers, and certain water tricks need a certain water depth, and that depth becomes greater if a tail is involved.
    That's it.

Wowza lol

That is really lame for someone to call her kid fat

the only thing is, did she ever read the instructions? most kid's tails come with a paper that says: "not a flotation device". many kids toys come with that paper as well, just like inflatable dolphins. the tail is not dangerous itself, but it's clear that it should be used under adult supervision

ok now I can see the video, she just said that it should be used under an adult supervision; it is clear that it takes some time to learn to use it.
    The people who said to complain to the company don't have a real point

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I have seen it. I asked a question on Fin Fun's facebook page regarding a sale, and people started replying to me saying how dangerous the tails were and freaking out. Really annoyed me. Know how to use the product and stick with your child. The intenet is so great at showing how people can mob something and not learn the facts and just be dumb. Everyone assumed it was Fin Fun's tails and started bashing the site.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I've just spoken with the mom, and she's quite the reasonable person. Too bad the internet shaming machine and it's knee jerk reaction to everything has to mess everything up!

Me: Hi, I know you're getting a lot of attention for the mermaid tail video, and it's gotta be rough. I wanted to friend you so I could send you a note about it. I'm a pro mermaid and tailmaker (I make high end silicone performance tails for adults), and I just saw the video. I have heard about some of the comments you've been getting - I didn't read them - and from what I saw, everyone needs to calm down. You were right there supervising and did exactly what I would have done. Anyone with any common sense knows to supervise their kids in a pool. I appreciate that you aren't slamming the tail manufacturers or feeding into the clamor that is surrounding your video. I think it's reprehensible that anyone called your daughter fat because she isn't. If you have any mermaiding questions, I would be happy to answer them or point you to experts in the field. Have a great day! Jolene

Rebecca: Thank you , I do appreciate that,Im gonna take a pic of me wearing a mermaid tail, lol ,Im not againt it i wanted to show how it caught air and she couldnt get up, i k ow when i ask my husband to watch the kids in pool he will walk away and start doing things in the yard but with this tail you cant assume the will be ok even if they can swim,They have go be supervised especially if they are new to it as was my daughter.

She let me share a photo of her in the tail....it's on my mermaid page!

I've flipped over like that before, but I think it's important to point out that the reason I flipped over like that and wasn't able to right myself was because 1) I didn't know how to swim and 2) this was the first body of water I ever encountered in my life that was large enough that I needed to swim (long story short, went to Disney World, went down a slide head first, and ended up in a hand stand and my dad had to come rescue me because I couldn't flip back over. Thank goodness I was smart enough not to take in a breath tho lol)

Good for you Pearlie I thought about messaging her too. Is she Canadian?

I think part of the issue is this is the summer mermaids finally got big in Canada. People forget we had to buy stuff from the US and now monofins are finally sold locally. There was a news program two days ago talking about the bans. It's super viral in Canada right now

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    this is another reason why im not so comfertable that mermaiding is becoming a trend. parents these days are getting "easy" ideas off the internet that never shows all the facts so the parent thinks its fun and try to put it on the kid. the parent however never does the research about it. it reminds me of fish keeping because it would be kid wants a fish, parent buys a bowl and leaves it around with kid then it dies and they blame the fish or the thing not at fault.
    Now im not saying kids cant have tails, i got my tail when i was younger. its just that maybe moms wont do the thing this mom did and supervise thier children or consider how much effort it takes to swim in one and it may end up somthing bad.
    the only thing the mom did wrong was telling the kid to flip when it was clear she wasnt experienced in a tail. bruh i dont even know how to flip. but its not like the mom was the problem

i guess im saying that. you know how our greatest fear is being the mermaid that drowns and gets the media going about how is dangerous. what if the mer that drowns is a kid?

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Good for you Pearlie I thought about messaging her too. Is she Canadian?

I think part of the issue is this is the summer mermaids finally got big in Canada. People forget we had to buy stuff from the US and now monofins are finally sold locally. There was a news program two days ago talking about the bans. It's super viral in Canada right now
    Not sure where she's from. I didn't ask...Our conversation continued, but it was off topic, so I snipped it. Then she posted the pic and I asked if I could share it...

Name:  Screen shot 2015-06-16 at 4.34.50 PM.png
Views: 682
Size:  209.7 KB

A lot of parents/adults overestimate their kid's abilities. I help coach gymnastics. I was teaching a 2-3 year old class the other day, and at the end we let them play around in the foam pit. A parent was encouraging their child to jump in and do a flip! This child could barely do a forward roll or even jump off the mat into the foam. Sometimes they just don't think.

Accepting Custom Silicone Tail Orders For $1400!
    Slots Taken: 3/3

On Facebook - Custom Orders - Etsy

I'm working with some artists in the community to create infographics we can all share to help promote education on the topic.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Siren View Post
    A lot of parents/adults overestimate their kid's abilities. I help coach gymnastics. I was teaching a 2-3 year old class the other day, and at the end we let them play around in the foam pit. A parent was encouraging their child to jump in and do a flip! This child could barely do a forward roll or even jump off the mat into the foam. Sometimes they just don't think.
    Indeed!
    Most parents believe their kids are complete geniuses in every field, and love bragging with them.
    This happened here too; the mom's proud of her daughter's "flipping abilities", so they got it on film instead of teaching her to swim with a tail beforehand.
    And when it didn't turn out as they expected- although it's pretty much foreseeable with a small child barely able to swim or not at all-, it's the product's fault because it's "dangerous".

It's nice of you to reach out to the woman and be all sympathetic, but what happened is a complete nobrainer and not the fin's fault.
    She should have made sure her daughter could swim and dive securely before even attempting that.

Those still having problems go to https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...93&oe=55821B9F

I think the problem that occurred with flipping with a tail is if you watch her flip without a tail (video her mom posted) she plugs her nose and kicks her legs to roll. As we know to roll with a tail you must use both arms to spin, but she has one hand plugging her nose. The girl should instead blow bubbles out of her nose so she has both arms to roll. Start off with rolling using the arms only, then eventually add the tail.

The problem is that she NEVER swam with a monofin before, never wore a tail before, and is not a great swimmer, and the water was too shallow. You're looking at a kid who had a tail on for less than TEN MINUTES and is trying to do a trick she can probably do just fine without a tail.

Everyone needs to just back off the kid's lack of proficiency, and address the fact that people are engaging in histrionics over something they know nothing about.

After seeing the video (thanks for posting a link, Raina!) I would have to agree with PearlieMae. I cannot get over the fact that this young girl received body-negative comments, but I probably shouldn't be surprised. This is why I set everything to private and delete/block on my personal account. :/

I think the situation in the pool was handled just fine, and honestly, that could have happened to a kid who had never done a flip/was just learning how to flip (without a monofin). Heck, before last year I couldn't do a flip, and I'm no longer a kid! I would do a: look mom! And then get a: well, you kinda just rolled to the side....

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    I think part of the problem, too, was the depth of the pool. She was on the side of the pool and the bottom of the pool. So she was head down and then when she fell she was supported on one side by the wall instead of rising to the surface. Otherwise she likely would have just tipped over and come up. I think the main reason the flip didn't work is that she didn't know to expect the extra weight and length involved. It's a problem you have when you first start SCUBA diving, too: It's hard to remember you have an extra foot of length on you and more water resistance as well as weight! I can flip while holding my nose without problem as long as it's deep. Poor kid probably aimed for her normal height when going for the flip then realized her legs didn't pop over like expected (drag from the tail) and her head was on the bottom (extra length)! Poor thing! I have to admit I am not big on kids that age using mermaid tails without a swim instructor to teach them. Pre-teens, sure, but kids that young don't have the analytical skills to handle problems that might arise and so need to be taught by someone else, IMHO. And, honestly, I feel like that pool is simply too shallow for flipping unless you know how to use your hands on the bottom to propel you and protect your head.

But I don't think anyone is to blame at all. She is a very young kid in water, there is equal danger in any water--her father should NOT be walking away from the pool at that age! Thankfully she didn't seem too upset at all. I hate it that this is being used to diss mermaid tails. Should I bring up videos of every dangerous thing that had ever happened to young kids in water just to remind people that it's SWIMMING in general that is dangerous, not just one kind? Or how about every kid who has ever fallen off a bike and hit their head? Will we all hate on bikes then?
    Last edited by Seatan; 06-24-2015 at 02:04 AM.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.