Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mertailor Basic silicone tail(new) color leaving and coloring bathroom floor

Yulia, yeah it's the painted layer which is rubbing off, but it's the base silicone underneath which is leaving those marks. And it is absorbed on wood but also on the floor which has plastic carpet O.O

Seavanna, Wohoo thanks, that was incredible message! With these things there is also the fact that if I send the tail back it takes a week to travel there and no idea how long when they investigate it and then I don't have a proper tail, and I'd need to have one when cause I still have few gigs. This is sooo difficult. I'll wait for tomorrow cause it's sunday today and sent him mail tomorrow, if he hasn't answered.
    Frosty Mermaid from the lonely Lapland <3

* Etsy * Youtube * Facebook * Instagram *

Oh, ok. Paint is so different color than those marks, and the silicone underneath is same color? I don't know, only thing I know is that I can't get those stains off the floor and this is rental apartment... whoaahh...

Well I meant that the "paint" from my knowledge also is silicone, pigments and thinner.
    I just thought maybe hear from Smooth-on to see if they have heard of anything like this happening before, and if they know how to get rid of it.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Huh that's odd. Is it sticky? Uncured silicone is sticky. Is it leaving anything on your legs? Can you rub it onto your hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it's not "rubbable" like that, and not sticky at all. Maybe I really should contact to smooth-on too, at least if they have any tips for me to re-paint my tail, I was thinking of doing it same way as Mermaid Riia has, she has painted her mertailor few times and it looks awesome. Re-painting completely new tail is pretty sad, but at least I know that with full silicone one (whenever the day I'll have the funds appears.. ) I'd go to completely new tailmaker

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    That is very strange then. Silicone should absolutely not do that. I don't know what to tell you, which is probably kindof what mertailor is thinking too (though still rude) all I could think is maybe there is pigment on the surface that is not mixed into the silicone and that it is rubbing off?? I wonder if it will stop on it's own with some use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember to not tinker with it before you have talked about refunding it. That would probably void the "guarantee".

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I'm thinking it my be a pigment incompatibility coupled with whatever thinner he might be using to airbrush. Try laying it on some clean paper or scrap white cloth, if you have it, and see if more comes off. And I agree with Yulia, don't modify the tail at all, lest you void any "warranty".

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    You can only do this if you screen shot the contract before he edits it. You need to be able to prove it said this. It is the only time groups like the BBB will back you up. If you can prove the contract changed and that you were not notified of the change then it is subject to what your copy says. Eric reads this forum all the time. The second he sees that post he is going to go change his contract and if you can't prove he changed it you don't have a leg to stand on.

I strongly suggest anyone dealing with issues like that and wanting advice do it through PM. He reads everything written about himself and makes instant changes to suit the situation.

I had a similar experience with another american company and I was only able to get a refund because I could prove they changed the terms during my contract and did not notify me.

If I couldnt get my money back after he hacked apart my monofin leaving me with an unusable and dangerous tail, he wont give a refund for a bad paint job.

He will use this thread against you. Bbb cannot help, hes not accredited. His LLC company means limited liability. If he offers you to have it sent back and repainted, that counts and an effort on his part and would negate any refund. His contract says if its his screw up hes supposed to fix it at his expense and the bbb and florida attourney generals office couldnt force him to live upto it. They wanted to, they just hve no legal way to do so. I havent finished with him and the Federal Trade Commission yet.

eric knows all of this, thats how hes still in business with all he does. He would never admit it was his fault or that he made a mistake.

It looks like the paint layer isnt bonding to the tail. Possibly over pigmented, or thinned too much. It looks lumpy. Maybe it was starting to cure and didnt bond as well. Or he didnt clean it before he painted it like on my tail. Personally im leaning to over pigmentation and lack of cleaning.

A clear coat of silicone over the whole thing should stop any further leeching. You could apply a bit of colored silicone to the bald spots and clear coat the whole thing. Sil poxy and Ge1 stick to his tails for sure. I dont know if you want to spend the money and use dragonskin.
    If you can't stand upon the water I will meet you on the ocean floor

I sent a message earlier but it disappeared. Just asking what is Ge1-stick? Have never heard of it and didn't find it from google?

Sorry. Its GE 1 window and door 100% silicone caulk. I used it on my tail to fix and seal the fluke back up and to paint it.

If you want I can add a bit of dragonskin to some scraps from my tail to see if it sticks and cures.

That would be awesome! I've been thinking of that too, but I've read that silicone doesn't cure on top of painted silicone, but u never know Of course I've no idea what kind of paint I have on this tail cause it leaves those stains, but if normal dragon skin cures on your tail I think it will do that to mine too. It'd really great if you could try that

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    The problem with seeking a refund is the fact that no matter WHAT is going on unless you note it in one business day his contract clearly states no refunds... A fantastic reason do NO ONE to EVER buy from him. No refunds, no customer is my motto when it comes to "crafts"--I have been screwed over on Etsy before too. Did you pay with a credit card? That's how I got my shittily made item off Etsy refunded--I called my credit card and laid it on thick (only the truth, but I made it clear that while I received a product and they had "no refunds"that the product was horribly made and not as promised.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    You can only do this if you screen shot the contract before he edits it. You need to be able to prove it said this. It is the only time groups like the BBB will back you up. If you can prove the contract changed and that you were not notified of the change then it is subject to what your copy says. Eric reads this forum all the time. The second he sees that post he is going to go change his contract and if you can't prove he changed it you don't have a leg to stand on.

I strongly suggest anyone dealing with issues like that and wanting advice do it through PM. He reads everything written about himself and makes instant changes to suit the situation.

I had a similar experience with another american company and I was only able to get a refund because I could prove they changed the terms during my contract and did not notify me.
    Nerissa, I'm going to PM you the name and number of the lawyer friend I talked to regarding this and the screenshots of the contract (they were still open on my computer, so even if he has changed them I have them!)
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Yeah I paid with credit card, but the problem with the refund thing is that then I think I'd have to send my tail back, and even though it does this I need a tail for gigs 'm going to have, so only solution for me is to try to fix it by myself, I sent e-mail for Eric this morning asking what did he mean with that "not knowing what to say"-comment and is he going to help me with the issue, not an answer. I seriously was thinking that he has been nice to me and everything has gone so well that nothing just can't happen anymore, he has been really nice for me before this. But I haven't had a problem with anything before...

I actually got an e-mail from Mertailor, it said they didn't wan't me to think they were ignoring me but they are trying to figure out what to do. I'm actually a bit relieved right now, I hope they figure out something.

I will run some tests today on some scrap material. I dont have high hopes for dragonskin but well find out this afternoon. I have slow cure so I wont know till then.

Hidden in his contract is a clause that says he can change stuff without notifying you about it. Just like banks and alot of other businesses. Its perfectly legal, while still shady as heck.

As long as you want to deal with eric, dont do or say anything else.

With a chargeback he can contend it and then your in trouble. He sent a functioning tail. Also in his contract it says its a hand made item that may not be perfect. You can try a chargeback, but yes a full refund would mean you send the tail back. As much as I hate that guy, its not fair to have a full refund and no tail back either.

The cost of the tail is not worth having a lawyer. They dont work for free. I looked into it and you have to file in florida where he is. Hes found a way around laws of other countries. Otherwise what he did to my tail wouldve gotten him a lawsuit.

Dragonskin silicone does NOT stick. It cured but peeled right off. I also tested it on the caulk I know he uses inside the tail and it doesnt cure completely. The top of it did but the part that touched the caulk stayed tacky.

over pigmentation with sil pig blue will cure in thin layers but when I touch it my finger turns blue.

Add Seatan on Facebook
    ....that is.... Weird. I'm sorry hun! . I would definitely ask him what specific products he used to create it.