Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: International Mermaid Swimming Instructors Association

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I see they've held that Merlympics event in the UK too.
    Having their own swimming courses as the prerequisite would be an absolute no-go for me.

They don't hold the monopoly on swimming.
    Sadly, this kind of behaviour is typical for many german institutions (you have it in the business world and of course with schools and universities- they all only accept their own course takers, no matter what the subject)- figures since Kat is german.

I do hope you have fun nontheless!
    Granted, they don't own swimming. But neither do any of the scuba/freediving teaching organizations own scuba or freediving. That's why I say, let's just see what they tell.

And frankly, I can very well remember a time in the scuba industry not so long ago where there were so many different organizations and at first they too thought they were the only ones and did not accept certification done by others. Luckily most of them sat together and agreed on some kind of mutual equivalence table. But those thinkings ("Standesdnkel und Grabenkriege", sorry for my German) are still there, under the surface (no pun intended), especially in German clubs and with the elderly there. Experienced it myself, when I went looking for a club some twenty years ago. They told me "You did learn with what organization? Not us? Then you don't know how to dive and probably will never learn." And that was before I even put a toe into the water with them. Needless to say, it wasn't the club I went with.

I think there are two possibilities: Either it is just about money, then it will be very easy to spot. Or they are really concerned about safety and proper teaching, then it could be the time to at least start talking to each other. If they don't want to, fine. But at least then I know where I stand.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    Granted, they don't own swimming. But neither do any of the scuba/freediving teaching organizations own scuba or freediving.
    indeed, but somehow, they have convinced everyone they do, so only people who have shelled out hundreds of bucks with a certain organisation are allowed into any diving facility.

Imagine this: an ama diver, or any of the seafaring folks who can dive longer and deeper than any of us could ever dream of, visit a diving tower in Europe and get told, "no brevet from our club? nope, not allowed, bye".
    Goes against any kind of reason, yet is somehow accepted procedure now everywhere.

My concern is something similar will happen to mermaiding if random people who founded a club are allowed to suddenly run things only their way.
    So that's something to watch out for, and to radically oppose as soon as it surfaces (no pun intended), or we might find ourselves all out in the dry unless we pay MsRandomSuperMermaidClub loads and loads of $$$.

indeed, but somehow, they have convinced everyone they do, so only people who have shelled out hundreds of bucks with a certain organisation are allowed into any diving facility.
    Does not even need to be a diving facility, can also happen to lakes, ponds, … where special agreements are behind.

My concern is something similar will happen to mermaiding if random people who founded a club are allowed to suddenly run things only their way.
    So that's something to watch out for, and to radically oppose as soon as it surfaces (no pun intended), or we might find ourselves all out in the dry unless we pay MsRandomSuperMermaidClub loads and loads of $$$.
    For scuba, there is EUF, which tries to get the different organization better working together to avoid such problems.