Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mermaids With Real (or Human Hair Extension) Dreads?

Senior Member Pod of The South saborigakusei's Avatar
    The best argument I've heard as to why white people having dreadlocks is offensive is because it's an example of white privilege. More often than not people of color with locks get automatically judged in a negative light. That can mean getting avoided and treated suspiciously in public, getting turned down for a job for not looking 'professional' enough, or worse. When white people wear dreads they're usually just seen as different, or hippies or what have you. It's not always a positive image for white people either but it doesn't have remotely the same impact.

I may not have worded this in the best way, and I by no means consider myself knowledgeable enough on the topic to have an informed opinion. But this is what I've heard and it didn't seem to have been mentioned yet.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Yeah, I mean in theory there isn't anything wrong with sharing things across cultures, but when black people get vilified for something that's part of their culture and then white people take that same thing and make it "edgy" and "fashionable" then that's problematic.

For example, in my school and in many others, afros and locs were considered "inappropriate hairstyles". Sure, white kids weren't allowed to have afros or locs, same as black kids, but that wasn't an inconvenience for them because their natural hair is not an afro or locs. Black kids had to alter their natural appearance to fit in with what white culture deemed "appropriate". So I can understand when a POC looks at white celebrities etc wearing locs as a fashion statement to be cool and edgy, and see that as insensitive because they've been vilified for that their entire life.

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    True to both of the above posts. The worst part is, that white privilege goes so far beyond hairstyles. If you're not white, you're already going to have to fight harder. Not cool.

*wipes tears from eyes* I'm so proud I'm not the first to bring up why dreads on white people is wrong. I feel like a proud momma bird lol.

But to answer questions about how other races wear dreads: the simple answer is no, they did not. Other cultures and races wore hair MATS which is not what dreads are, dreads are a style created specifically for afro textured hair, if black people didn't comb, pick out, etc our hair, they will form dreads naturally, which is hair twisted around itself and NOT matted while if other races don't comb their hair what will happen? matts.

Another example of why dreads shouldn't be worn by other people who aren't black is because of the way black people are stigmatised for wearing our OWN hair styles, the way we've cared for our hair for generations. Just recently a school banned afro puffs and twists! another school banned afros! another banned dreadlocks and cornrows. Black people can be called "ghetto" and "unprofessional" when wearing these styles while when other races do it it's "hip, cool, earthy, urban, a cool new trend" A cool video about this is "Don't cash crop my cornrows" (below)

another article that explains it very well: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/07/...ck-hairstyles/

TLDR: don't do it, black people can loose jobs, be kicked out of school, for wearing our hair the way it grows out of our heads while white people and other non black poc are praised for being "unique" when they wear those same styles.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    The spam bots are getting intelligent now o_0 I'll delete it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing that video, Momo. I really appreciated the way that she presented the info in that video. Amandla has grown up so much since Hunger Games, too!

On a somewhat related note, I've also enjoyed this bit from The Office (US) with Darryl:

Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Thanks Momo! I'm better informed now!

But if it werent seen as negative it would be okay? Idk. Im not exactly white either but either way I still think that excluding a hairstyle to one race is not a good way to combat its negative connotation. But again over here every race is mixed and shared snd cultural apropristion wasnt even a thing until I went to an american school

User previously known as "MermaidBonny".

Sometimes you just have to realize that some things aren't meant for you to partake in because of it's significance to that culture and just to accept that and let it be. Black hair has a very long history of both opression and movements in which black people and people with afro textured hair has tried to take the stigma away from black hair (but seeing how in 2015, I was still asked to get rid of my braids for a job, then asked to "comb" my fro, aka, do something to it besides let it be an afro, it obviously has a long way to go in the acceptance of black hair.)

Well yeah and thats obviously wrong that people do that but limiting the look to one race only stigmatizes the look to some extent. If everyone were to accept the look as just another hairstyle that some people like and some people dont then it should be okay for those who love them to be able to sport them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Sometimes you just have to realize that some things aren't meant for you to partake in because of it's significance to that culture and just to accept that and let it be. Black hair has a very long history of both opression and movements in which black people and people with afro textured hair has tried to take the stigma away from black hair (but seeing how in 2015, I was still asked to get rid of my braids for a job, then asked to "comb" my fro, aka, do something to it besides let it be an afro, it obviously has a long way to go in the acceptance of black hair.)
    ew. I'm sorry that happened to you.
    The SeaGlass Siren

That video was great, Aysel, and I have to admit that I pretty much agree with this guy.

However, I do want to be sensitive to the b*llsh*t that Mermaid Momo has had to deal with because of her hair. That's just fraking wrong, and I'm sorry that's happened to you. It sounds like it's happened over and over, too, which is even worse. That's a problem. I've had my share of bs because of my hair being so long and people not liking that, but 1) I've never been the victim of racism because of it and 2) that makes it a totally different experience. The only reason I bring it up is that if I think about the nasty things people have said about my hair and multiply that x's 100,000 and add in there fear of losing a job because of how my hair naturally looks, maybe I could come close to understanding what it feels like.

I don't want to know what it feels like, and I don't think anyone should ever have to. I think the problem is not white people wearing dreads and it's ok, I think the problem is specifically that black people are treated differently for doing the exact same thing. And that their role in anything is downplayed. That's the problem.

I don't have dreads. I don't have any problem with anyone of any color wearing them if they feel it represents who they are, but that's my opinion. And ultimately, the only person my opinion really matters to is me. I do want to be sensitive and understand why other people would be upset though, and now I have a better understanding and some stuff to think about.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Oh I remembered the argument that I forgot!
    When white people wear dreadlocks, they're dirty hippies (bear with me) when white people get their hair to form dreads they often don't shower, put wax in their hair etc. my uncle had them for a while and never showered, only went surfing, and had crap stuck in his hair all the time. White people wear dreads to be edgy, hippie-esque, to show they smoke pot and are all about free love, etc etc and all that is fine.

BUT when black people wear dreads because, you know, that's how their hair works, they are also labeled as dirty, hippies, edgy, and all the rest.

This means that though the white person with dreads is living their carefree life (and that's cool, I don't judge. ) the black person with dreads is unable to be taken seriously. Especially at job interviews. It's a hairstyle that's viewed as unprofessional and dirty for EVERYONE. But the reason it's viewed that way is because white people wear this hairstyle in that way.

So black people, who would just like to wear their hair in a convenient and natural way, are stigmatized BECAUSE of the actions of white people with dreads.

White people make the effort to have dreads, fully aware of what it will make other people think of them.

Black people have to make an effort to avoid dreads so that they can avoid the stereotype of their natural hair.

Imagine having to curl your hair every morning because having straight hair means you're dirty. Now imagine that the reason people think this is because when the dominant race purposefully makes their hair straight to promote a free-love, (again I don't have a problem with this stuff but lots of employers and authority figures do) no-bra, no shower, wanderlust lifestyle.

I'm on a bit of a rant but when it was explained to me like this I finally got it. I hope I help! And I'm not damning anyone with dreads, sometimes we just don't know how certain things cause problems.

Ok I'm done. Momo, or anyone who knows better than me can certainly correct me too, I'm an undercooked pancake so.

Senior Member Pod of The South saborigakusei's Avatar
    I'm actually super happy with this thread because it's gotten me to think about a topic I haven't really spent much time on. So thank you all for just having a wonderful chill discussion and being so open and everything. :3

Just my personal experiences and thoughts...

I work in hospitality, and I'm considering that for a career. I'm also aiming to become a flight attendant sometime in the next few years. And I can't have dreads because of that.

Yes, the times are changing and I'm sure there are some employers who are enlightened and wouldn't care, but the thought of doing a job interview with dreads is actually terrifying for me, because I know I wouldn't get the job. I feel like even if the company/interviewers are okay with dreads, it goes beyond that. Unfortunately both industries have super high grooming and dress standards, because you're the face of their company. And if they think that their customers will find your appearance unsavory, they won't hire you.

I'm only half black and my hair wouldn't dread naturally, but I do love dreads and would probably get them if I didn't think having them would hinder my career. And though it really frustrates me to do so, I do straighten my hair for job opportunities because straight hair "looks more professional" than curly and I feel I have a higher chance of getting the job.

This actually impacts MAJOR aspects of poc's lives. And it seems like the main argument for white people having dreads is freedom of expression, which really can't take priority over people's livelihoods or safety, in my mind at least. And I don't think anyone's saying "white people can't get dreads", just that poc will rightfully get upset at such a blatant flaunt of privilege. Well intended or not.

Also... I feel bad because this thread totally wasn't supposed to be about social justice issues....

I really would love to be a mer with dreads. They look AMAZING underwater and don't become a huge ridiculous tangle like my hair does lol. I was lucky enough to swim with juku a few times and oh my god<333
    He has these cute little sea creature charms in his dreads, his hair just looks so awesome in and out of the water... *fangirls a little bit*. :33 Hair goals tho.

Well Im hispanic and a lot of my family is black but Im studying and planning on working in the art industry so appearance has never been an issue although I feel narural hair isnt as stigmatized here in pr, a lot of people here have curly hair but thats just been my experience. I understand why black people would be upset at this flaunt of privilege but Idk I still want to be a mer with dreads really badly