Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109

Thread: Fish eyes experiment (Napoleon wrasse eye markings)

  1. #1

    Fish eyes experiment (Napoleon wrasse eye markings)

    So normally I don't wear any more makeup while mermaiding than I do in my everyday human life (read: absolute zero). I've never liked makeup other than for Halloween and I find it actually makes me more self-conscious...I feel like I look better without it, I hate how it feels on my face, it's expensive, and I just hate messing with it. I have tried wearing a little for photoshoots once or twice, but I just ended up freaking out because even the tiniest bit makes me look weird and just...not ME (ask Iona or Octavia, both have tried to put makeup on me for photoshoots, not very successfully).

    However, I had a random flash of inspiration this morning while I was browsing pictures of wrasses (as you do). One of my favorite reef fishes, Cheilinus undulatus (known variously as the Napoleon wrasse, humphead wrasse, and Maori wrasse) has very cool markings around its eyes. I thought it might be cool to just try mimicking it to see how it looked. For some reason, makeup/face paint seems to freak me out a lot less when I'm doing animal markings than when just trying to do people-makeup. Go figure. Anyway, I have allllll this blue makeup leftover from my Aayla Secura cosplay from Comic Con, so I gave it a try just for funsies. What do you guys think?

    Name:  20150624_104103.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  80.3 KB Name:  20150624_104132.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  80.1 KB Name:  20150624_104146.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  66.5 KB

    I had to wash it off right afterwards, but at least I managed to get some doofy pictures without freaking out :P

  2. #2
    Nice! So proud of you, and it looks awesome!

    Wingéd Mermaid Iona

    FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr


  3. #3

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central Valley Cali
    Posts
    403
    This looks beautiful! A very cool mix of animal/tribal and traditional beauty makeup. Maximum mermaidy-ness.

    Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids




  5. #5
    That's so cool! Glad you shared it
    "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea​" ~Isak Dinesen

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,806
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Love it! My attempts at makeup always give me panda eyes! So I never bother with it either.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  8. #8
    If panda eyes are what happens when it gets all smeary on your lower eyelids, that's also what usually happens to me when I try it. It's usually not worth it for me, but I thought this was a fun idea. I might try it for a photoshoot sometime. I really wish I had thought of it before Sunday, cuz I had my first professional photoshoot then :P

    Hmm, I wonder if there are any other good fishy eye markings I could mimic...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,806
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    For me, it gets smeary under my eyes, where the eye bags are.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  10. #10
    I learned a trick for eye bags recently!! I did a small music video shoot, and I got made up by a professional makeup artist (I was very brave). She said she'd put some stuff on my eyes to take care of the eye bags (was super tired that day) and I asked what she used and she said Preparation H (hemorrhoid cream). I was like "so....you're saying my eyes are buttholes?"

    I really want to try it myself but thus far have been too sheepish to walk into a store and buy bunghole cream :-/

  11. #11
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,806
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    I learned a trick for eye bags recently!! I did a small music video shoot, and I got made up by a professional makeup artist (I was very brave). She said she'd put some stuff on my eyes to take care of the eye bags (was super tired that day) and I asked what she used and she said Preparation H (hemorrhoid cream). I was like "so....you're saying my eyes are buttholes?"

    I really want to try it myself but thus far have been too sheepish to walk into a store and buy bunghole cream :-/
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

    You could say its for your grandma...
    Formerly known as ireneho

  12. #12
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    821
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Ohhh looks awesome ^_^.

    I use a thick concealer for my eye bags then a powder foundation over my whole face. Stupid looking like a raccoon somedays lol.
    When Fantasy is Reality

    Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy


  13. #13
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Silverwater, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,806
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
    Ohhh looks awesome ^_^.

    I use a thick concealer for my eye bags then a powder foundation over my whole face. Stupid looking like a raccoon somedays lol.
    Yea, the whole, "Do I wanna be a panda or raccoon today?" made me stop trying with makeup!
    Formerly known as ireneho

  14. #14
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,661
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I love the wrasse markings! And the colors match your eyes!

    Prep H works wonders for shoots, BUTT it can leave your face greasy. Sudden Change Eye Serum is a temporary fix that uses sterilized egg whites (serum albumen) to tighten undereye bags, but it doesn't work in water.

    My eyes disappear when I smile anyway, always have, and I've always had undereye bags, even as a kid.

    Not a lot of makeup options for this:

    Name:  Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 11.29.09 AM.png
Views: 535
Size:  62.7 KB

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I love the wrasse markings! And the colors match your eyes!

    Prep H works wonders for shoots, BUTT it can leave your face greasy. Sudden Change Eye Serum is a temporary fix that uses sterilized egg whites (serum albumen) to tighten undereye bags, but it doesn't work in water.

    My eyes disappear when I smile anyway, always have, and I've always had undereye bags, even as a kid.

    Not a lot of makeup options for this:

    Name:  Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 11.29.09 AM.png
Views: 535
Size:  62.7 KB
    I have the very same issue!
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Prep H works wonders for shoots, BUTT it can leave your face greasy.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Thanks for the heads-up *wipes tear away* BUTT I'm not too worried as my face is already so greasy I doubt it would make much difference. I'd probably only bother with it for photoshoots anyway. Also...dude, you don't NEED a lot of makeup options. You're already gorgeous.

    Mermaid Jaffa, saying it's for my grandma is a pretty good idea, actually! I thought of asking my mom to get some for me, but she'd probably just tell all the clerks "OH IT'S FOR MY POOR DAUGHTER, WHAT A TRAGEDY FOR ONE SO YOUNG" and then show them all my picture :P

    Or maybe I just act like it's a prank and do that thing where you buy Prep H, condoms and lube, and a single banana.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,661
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAine View Post
    I have the very same issue!
    That's why we just smile a lot, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Thanks for the heads-up *wipes tear away* BUTT I'm not too worried as my face is already so greasy I doubt it would make much difference. I'd probably only bother with it for photoshoots anyway. Also...dude, you don't NEED a lot of makeup options. You're already gorgeous.

    Mermaid Jaffa, saying it's for my grandma is a pretty good idea, actually! I thought of asking my mom to get some for me, but she'd probably just tell all the clerks "OH IT'S FOR MY POOR DAUGHTER, WHAT A TRAGEDY FOR ONE SO YOUNG" and then show them all my picture :P

    Or maybe I just act like it's a prank and do that thing where you buy Prep H, condoms and lube, and a single banana.
    Awww! Thank you! Now I know why all these years I get complimented on my smile...it's the only thing you can really see!

    Ya gotta get Prep H, condoms, a banana, and a bottle brush. THAT'LL confuse them!

  18. #18
    Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    4,147

    Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    You guys....smh.
    the eye makeup looks awesome. I like doing makeup like... not people makeup too. lol. I like the wrasse markings for a more badass mermaid shoot or something like that, but this has me thinking about some sort of cool mermaid fantasy makeup for gigs. hmmmmmmmm....... *looks at makeup*

  19. #19
    Many species of butterfly fish have vertical dark bars going through their eyes...that would look cool for a dark mermaid shoot....and then there's the copperband butterfly, which has black-edged gold bars.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Kaila Mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    San Marcos, Texas, United States
    Posts
    263
    Follow Kaila Mermaid On Twitter Add Kaila Mermaid on Facebook
    Follow Kaila Mermaid on Tumblr
    Those are some kickass markings. I've been tempted to do markings in the past, but was never brave enough
    ~Kaila Mermaid~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •