Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetins from California

Junior Member Pod of Cali
    Add Ginger on Facebook

Greetins from California

Greetings all, I'm so happy to be here. I live in and adore California (which btw, no one here calls "Cali" lol). I have suffered from thalassophobia - fear of ocean - since I was about 12 or 13 years old, so quite a while lol. The same applies to any body of water other than a swimming pool. In my opinion calling phobias a "fear" of something is a gross understatement. My phobia has been so bad in the past that I could not play video games that took place in water without having panic attacks. Phobias can be debilitating. I have been working at overcoming my phobia and have made quite a lot of progress. Ironically, I have also always had a great love for the ocean. I live in a part of California that is sadly landlocked but I visit our beaches quite frequently and they are all amazing. Eventually I would love to be able to swim in the ocean. That brings us to why I am here

I was five when Disney's The Little Mermaid came out (do the math if you must!) and from that moment on I've been in love with mermaids - not a huge fan of the movie now, but I do like Ursula . So, once I found out about this community I figured it would be a perfect place for me. I am NOT here to beg support from people, but the more familiar I can become with water, and specifically the ocean, the more I help myself to overcome my fear. For now, I do monofin in my pool and have been considering building myself a tail to go with. It seems that adding a bit of fantasy to any endeavor makes it easier.

In my personal life, I am a mother of one, a huge Harry Potter fan, don't even get me started on The Phantom of the Opera, I collect and sell nail polish, I also make custom nail polishes and am working on my own line of nail polish (sadly my business is not online yet, but hopefully soon!). I sing, second only to my duties as a mom , I sew and design clothing and other things, and do a host of other things that I can't think of or seem unimportant in defining myself to you lol.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and would be happy to discuss anything about myself, or yourself (within reason) including the details of my phobia (or any of my other neurosis!) with you at any time, either in this thread, or in a PM (if those are possible on this forum?) I may have to change my settings to allow members to email me? Either way, let me know how and I'll let you contact me hahaha! Take care loves and let's talk soon.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Welcome Ginger!
    Do you have a tail yet? What color is it?
    Everyone is friendly here, unless they're having a bad fish day... Or its shark week... But other than that, we're nice!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Welcome to merNetwork!
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum! I live in a landlocked part of California as well Glad to have more merfolk joining the community!
    User previously known as "Marina".

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Landlocked Cali (haha) mermaids unite! Welcome :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Merman Jamie's Avatar
    Welcome

Add Ginger on Facebook
    Thank you all! So glad to hear there are others here from California. I am in the central San Juaquin, same as you Elodea . I don't have a tail yet, Jaffa, but my son has been encouraging me to make one lol. I've thought about trying just a cheap fabric one - out of swimsuit fabric - just to give it a go in a tail, but I'd like to make one with neoprene and sequins - I have a thing for sparkles hahaha. Thanks again! Can't wait to get to know everyone here.

Welcome. Have you joined the Pod of Cali? There's lots of us from California

Senior Member Euro Pod Moonchild's Avatar

Follow Moonchild on Tumblr Follow Moonchild on Flickr
    God, I totally get you on the phobia thing... I have selacophobia -fear of sharks- (at least that's what it's called in Spanish, not sure about English...) and whenever I tell anyone they go like "oh, but everyone is scared of sharks!"
    Yeah, right! I bet everyone else has panic attacks just by looking at pictures of sharks, that's very normal! -.-'

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Add Ginger on Facebook
    Sorry I've been away. Had a bit of a medical emergency but all is well now. MerMaisy, Yes i did join the California pod but I haven't posted there yet :P shame on me. Moonchild, I totally understand what you mean! It's sad to me how ignorant people are of phobias when phobia is a fairly common thing.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Ginger on Facebook
    Thank you, Wesley!